1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

125-200cc 2008 cr165 hard to downshift any idea why

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by Pedec, Mar 6, 2013.

1. Pedec Husqvarna
    Pro Class

So I am in Moab riding my cr165 which is working great but ran into a little shifting problem after doing 5 miles of hell trail which is the hardest trail I have ever done and tough on bikes also. After we got done the nasty stuff and on more open trail I noticed my shifter was really loose on shaft from hitting something so it must have got hit hard. I tightened shifter up but now it hard to make bike shift down, it will shift if engine speed are slow or I push hard but not like it did before, It upshifts great like before. I changed tranny oil which looked good no metal fillings and clean. So any ideas what might have cause this problem or how to fix it and thanks for any help.
  2. pvduke Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    tripple-hondo hoosk...
    Other Motorcycles:
    dozens of them, kicked to the curb
    try another shift lever or make sure this one's not hitting something. if that dont work, then another shift shaft. if that dont work, then go deeper inside and replace the bent what-ever-it-is.
    MotoMarc36 and Glenn haynes like this.
  3. Glenn haynes Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 wr300
    Other Motorcycles:
    13 yz250f 08yz85 11ktm 65 09 ktm65
    sounds like a bent shift shaft,I've done it on a few bikes over the years.
  4. Pedec Husqvarna
    Pro Class

So I need to take clutch off and pull shaft through with shift forks and order whole assembly. Thanks for help.
  5. MotoMarc36 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 CR144, 04 TC450, 04 TC250, CR50
    Other Motorcycles:
    Many. Too many.
    Yep +3 on the shiftshaft. Shouldn't be an issue with the forks unless it is gear-specific. slide the shaft out and it will probably be obvious. I'd get a new shiftshaft seal, also. Clean the case meticulously and inspect area for possible stress fracture. Don't ride it untill fixed, you can slop out the case and have a chronic leaker.
    pvduke likes this.
  6. pvduke Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    tripple-hondo hoosk...
    Other Motorcycles:
    dozens of them, kicked to the curb
    yup been there whacked a rock or stomped too hard on it muffing a hill and cussing in my helmet. pull the shaft and roll it on some glass. HVA AU may have the parts list which makes a handy quicky manual as far as parts sequence goes....
  7. Pedec Husqvarna
    Pro Class

I have rode it for two day with shifthng problem since we drove for 22 hours to get to Moab and with 165 kit on bike it not a big deal it can pull a gear high no problem even in nasty up hills but when I get home I will pull shaft and look at it. This 165 has made riding at Moab twice the fun compared to 144 and I think a Lectron carb is in the future and a rebuilt rear shock since it started leaking bad also but overall bike has been great for the shit it has gone through this years trip glad I did 165. Thanks for help.
    Blakelpd5 likes this.
  8. wallybean Mini-Sponsor

Contact me when you get home as I probably have extra's for whatever you find. Glad you like the 165(I love it:)).
  9. Pedec Husqvarna
    Pro Class

I will contact you when I get home and thanks for a great motor. Did you get powervalve parts back that I sent, I forgot to ask.
  10. wallybean Mini-Sponsor

ks

Yes, thanks.
  11. Pedec Husqvarna
    Pro Class

So got home and going to start pulling apart bike to fix down shifting problem. Do I need to take right hand side of motor off including water pump or can I get access through clutch hole cover. Thanks for any help.
  12. Pedec Husqvarna
    Pro Class

image.jpg . Could this be my problem. Not sure what it called but it at the end of shifter shaft that moves thumbler and one end is flatened and not pointy like other end. Shaft seems ok I take this comes as hole piece. So I guess 5 miles of hell at Moab did leave it mark on bike.
  13. Pedec Husqvarna
    Pro Class

image.jpg image.jpg Just couple more pictures I am fairly sure this could affect my downshift problem and was just slipping off.
  14. Pedec Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Clutch and basket were working great before from what I can see there is no need to change them even if they are original.

Attached Files:

15. R_Little Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Get one on ebay.

I may even have one.
  16. Pedec Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Found one at dealer in Canada cost $70.00 so not to bad and if it fixes problem I am ok with price. Can I reuse side cover gasket and water pump gasket they look in great shape?