1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

250-500cc 2008 wr250 petcock/fuel tap problem mkII

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by Myles Walshe, Jan 23, 2014.

1. Myles Walshe Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2008 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Been and gone, TL1000R & FIreblade
    Hi All,

A while back my petcock started to leak fuel where the metal petcock meets the plastic tank. when I removed the petcock it didn't have the plastic shroud/filter around the tube. Having tried various size o rings to make it water/fuel tight I have given up and bought a new genuine Husky petcock. My problem is that when I offer up the petcock to the hole in the tank it would appear to be too big. I thought it would have a smaller diameter and fit inside but no!.. Has the shop sold me the wrong one or is there some kind of trick/brute force to fitting this?
    any help gratefully received as I'm going insane, partly caused by the smell of petrol I think!

thanks in advance

Myles
  2. 454x Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 CR165 w/36mm lectron.
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 BETA 300RR w/36mm lectron.
    Make the hole bigger.
  3. Myles Walshe Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2008 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Thanks 454x. That would be my last resort I think as there is a threaded tube that is part of the tank that extends down for the petcock to screw on to.

I've googled the part number on the bag the petcock came with and it says it's for a te not wr. Will have to go back to the shop I think!
  4. Crocus Paper Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Scorpa 300 Aprilia Dorsoduro 750
    My 2010 parts book shows part number 8000 H0236 for the tap and 8000 01199 for the o ring.
    Myles Walshe likes this.
  5. Myles Walshe Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2008 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Thanks crocus.. I've found the problem. The plastic filter part had become detached from the metal tap so was lodged in the tank, unbeknownst to me as I thought it was part of the tank. The new one obviously wouldn't fit inside that. Managed to extract it tonight and fit the new fuel tap only to realise the last owner has used wood screws which have punchered the tank and caused it to leak!.. tank is a write off. Might have to visit my local husky dealer for a new one.. husky sport near Winchester. Thanks for the part numbers though it's much appreciated. Good to see another UK husky rider.. we are a rare breed, well for now as everyone seems to be going to the husq'ktm'varna.. : /
  6. juicypips Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr 360. 2002
    Other Motorcycles:
    Gas Gas TxT 300, Yamaha wr250f
    ha yeh ive noticed a few more uk users recently
    Myles Walshe likes this.
  7. andymarriner450 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Wr 150
    Try ss racing they se to have loads of secondhand bits I got a cr tank off them £80 was like new and there a good bunch the other week I needed a rear brake aster cylinder kit they didn't have one so
    Posted me one off a bike in shop so I could race at weekend and got me a rebuild kit the next week well happy with customer service
    Myles Walshe likes this.
  8. Crocus Paper Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    I've got a feeling that's how the taps are held in as standard, with self tapping screws. There are some very good fuel resistant sealants on the market now, I certainly wouldn't buy a new tank without trying to seal it with sealant first. I have fixed leaking trials bike tanks with them.
    Myles Walshe and woodsrider like this.
  9. Myles Walshe Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2008 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Thanks Andy. I'll give them a try.. are you doing tidworth end of Feb? I've entered and desperate to get back out so anything that works will do me!.

Thanks crocus - can you recommend any sealant?
  10. Crocus Paper Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    I work in Aviation engineering and use sealant PR1422, its an industrial sealant and probly expensive. But, I did fix a Gas Gas trial bike aluminium tank that had chaffed through with a sealant from permatex which I bought from our local hardware store.

Could you not very slightly countersink the screw hole and fit a tiny o ring to the attachment screw , there are 'fixes' for this problem before the expense of a new tank.
    juicypips likes this.
  11. Myles Walshe Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2008 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Hi all. Been busy with the sealant this morning and waiting for it to dry before trying it out. Used plenty! Last photo is good for a laugh. Interesting way husky describe the petcock/fuel tap :)

20140125_123214.jpg 20140125_123156.jpg 20140123_172428.jpg
    woodsrider and juicypips like this.
  12. andymarriner450 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Wr 150
    Was thinking of doing tidworth but it works out to expensive cot about £70 in diesel without entry and fuel for bike and my wingman can't do so decided to blow it out hope ya get tank sorted are you doing Witley one in feb ???
  13. juicypips Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr 360. 2002
    Other Motorcycles:
    yup that looks suitably gummed up should do the trick
    Myles Walshe likes this.
  14. Myles Walshe Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2008 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:

That is an expensive day out with that fuel bill.. if that is the time card at Warren heath then I was but they closed any more sportsman entries so missed the boat. Could have entered as a clubman but I'm not good enough to be classed as clubman and once you go up you can't go back to a lower level. Hopefully the tank will hold and I'll get my kicks at tidworth. Raced there in Nov 12 and it was great even though it had been like a monsoon the day before. Maybe see you at a seec event soon.. prob doing ashdown farm for the reading events plus iron Holland a few others.. not slab common though! Took me out last summer for 8 weeks with a broken rib!!
  15. Myles Walshe Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2008 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Cheers mate.. hoping it holds.. not had much luck so far so confidence is low!
  16. andymarriner450 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Wr 150
    Slab not that bad other than two set of pads every ride are you doing bsec Canada heights I've just booked in £60 for Sunday only should be fun
  17. Myles Walshe Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2008 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Hi Andy. Really want to race at Canada heights this year. Was away for the one in June last year but it looked amazing from the YouTube footage. Have a good one. No joy with my tank yet, pissed fuel again after a few mins of tricking me in to thinking it was going to hold garter!. Had another go with a mate helping this time. Sanded down the tank until it was a flat surface which hopefully helps on its own and gave it all a proper clean up before applying the sealant. Going to leave it for a few days this time! Fingers crossed!
    juicypips likes this.
  18. juicypips Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr 360. 2002
    Other Motorcycles:
    could you drill the holes out and tap a machine screw thread like m6 and locktight the threads of them and re install?
    dont give up an sink a load of dosh untill you have exhausted all options.
    Myles Walshe likes this.
  19. Myles Walshe Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2008 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Cheers mate.. that is a very good idea. If this fix doesn't hold then I'll give that a go. Sh!t or bust lol!. Found someone with a tank for sale but they say it's a 20Ltr one.. I've never heard of a 20 so going to post up on the forum to see if anyone knows. Sounds a bit too big for enduro but I guess you don't have to fill it right up! Ever heard of a 20Ltd tank?
  20. juicypips Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr 360. 2002
    Other Motorcycles:
    20l?!? dakar maybe, i would get it just for a laugh, if its like the ims ones that are clear you can see how much fuels left = awesome
    Myles Walshe likes this.