1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

125-200cc 2009 wr 125 needle help

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by johnnyboy, Oct 28, 2011.

1. johnnyboy Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR 125
    Other Motorcycles:
    TM 250f
    Hi guys
    Well heres the problem, I had just blown my TM up (dropped valve) and needed a ride real quick and bought the first thing available and that just happened to be the 2009 WR 125!
    Mikuni carb was a jetting drooling mess but I managed to get it just about spot on that is till the sun came up or set!!! finiky is a understatement, so I tossed it and fitted a 39 PWK from a 2008 KTM 144.
    I have now settled on a 45 pilot a 180 main and the slide has been cut to a No 6
    Problem is I cant seem to get it spot on, close but not right, The closest I got was with a NOZH needle but this was very rich at around 1/4 throttle which is just as the needle taper starts and the portion the clip straight area (step) lifts from the carb body , I then modded a mikuni needle that was almost straight at the clip end (not so much of a step) and this is even better but the taper is then to rich a around 1/2 throttle, many trips to our local UK useless unhelpfull KTM dealer to try to sourse a needle to suit has been a waste of breath.
    So heres a question. What shape is a JD blue/red needle at the clip end ie is it near straight and could anyone post a pic ??????????
    Any other suggestions or needle choices would be gratefully recieved as I would have to get a JD kit shipped to the UK if that will cure my woes but do not want to waste money if it will not work
    Other than that the WR is a cracker ! it carried my old fat butt to a 8th in class and never once faltered other than this slight needle miss match that I have and I have to say I cant wait to ride her again
  2. Joe Chod Husqvarna
    Pro Class

try KTM NOZI needle
  3. johnnyboy Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR 125
    Other Motorcycles:
    TM 250f
    A trip to the dealers in the morning for me then if he has one lol
    Thanks for the fast reply
  4. Joe Chod Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Sorry meant NOZF
  5. johnnyboy Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR 125
    Other Motorcycles:
    TM 250f
    Well Joe I went to the ever helpfull KTM dealer today and managed to get a NOZG as they had no NOZFs in stock but plenty of empty packets lol
    Got to say I did order a NOZF and will try it but the NOZG on the second clip from the top is spot on and I doudt if it will get any better than this so once again thanks for your help as the dealer dosnt even know what is richer or leaner with his needles lol
  6. TROFFER88 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Suzuki NEDxx/NECxx work extremely well .Very close to NOZxx series with a longer first taper . Jerseydevil on KTMTALK has done a lot of work with these needles, I run them in my 125's and they are the best needle I have come across so far.
  7. johnnyboy Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR 125
    Other Motorcycles:
    TM 250f
    Thanks Troffer88
    I will see if I can locate one for testing! but I have to say after testing a bit I dont think it will get any better than where I am at now
    On saterday a friend also bought a WR 125 2010 model as he liked the ride and fun factor of my one, so I could now carry out back to back tests.
    First thing I noticed was how his pulled a fair bit harder right off the bottom and in pulling the carb (standard) it was fitted with a set of scary fast power now divider plates.
    I have always very much doubted the ability of these things working so I removed them, well I have to say the bike then lost some of its bottom end tug!!!
    So off came my pwk and a fair bit off time later it was back together with a divider plate on the reed side only, on starting up I firstly noted that when on choke the revs were much lower than before as it seemed richer (maybe the weather or warm workshop) a few blips of throttle and all seemed identical to before the fitment,
    As soon as I moved off I could tell that this thing had seriously gained a bottom end pull! I really cannot belive that this mod works but it really does give the WR a much stronger pull and all the carb settings remain as I had them, its still got a way longer pull to a screaming top end compaired to the stock Mikuni and runs really really strong from bottom to top, no drool spooge or whatever you wish to call it, various plug chops from certain revs reveal that all is spot on other than I could come down a tad on the main but I knew this before the mod.
    To do this mod I cut a thin piece of card the same size as the carb bore (39mm) and slipped it in then gently placed the slide in place so it covered the card and sprayed a airasol/rattle can into the bore to give the exact slide shape then transfered this to the thin stainless sheet I was using, I used this as it was laying there on my bench but I cannot see why brass or steel could not be used, I left small tabs at the end as I copied RB designs way of doing the coversion, the plate is set up so it is very close to the slide but far enough away that the slide will not touch it and jam the throttle.
    Well I now have gone from being a unbeliever to a convert ! this mod really does work and I now have to appolagise to a awfull lot of people that I have told it/they will never work lol, I still cant see how one fitted filter side could be of any benifit but will now happily be willing to listen to peoples views as to why they may be of benifit
    Goes to show you are never to old to learn lol