1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

250-500cc 2009 WR 250 TRANSMISION PROBLEMS

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by 454x, Mar 14, 2012.

1. 454x Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 CR165 w/36mm lectron.
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 BETA 300RR w/36mm lectron.
    Before I read the post on how the shifter star could come loose and and cause the bike to go into neutral easily I was already having that problem plus my bike also hit neutral between 3rd and 4th. Anybody got a clue as to why this might happen?I think something is wrong with the tranny.
  2. TROFFER88 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

On a good note it looks like there are a few 6 speed conversions going on so a new trans should be a non issue
  3. 454x Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    I think the previous owner put it together wrong or left parts out or something.I am in the process of splitting the cases this weekend .The P.O. was a hack they didn't even use a center case gasket or clutch side case gasket just grey silicon. What will I find next. Hopefully not more rtv.
  4. R_Little Husqvarna
    Pro Class

I think that motor needs a center gasket or it WILL
    NOT shift right.
    wallybean likes this.
  5. wallybean Mini-Sponsor

If you have an actual tranny problem, I have the slightly used original 5 speed out of my 06 WR250 in a box collecting dust.
  6. 454x Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Thanks Wally , I'll keep that in mind,hopefully nothing will be damaged when I get the cases split.
  7. Xcuvator Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE450,610 WB165,WR250 WR360 & XC430
    Other Motorcycles:
    yes
    The center gasket is .013" or so thick and without it the transmision shafts, shift drum and crankshaft have that much less end play.
  8. 454x Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    I stand corrected, I did find a center case underneath the oily dirt and silicon. I did find the stand off where the spring and roller bolt to the case for the shift star is damaged. The p.o. put a little washer on the shoulder bolt so the click roller wouldn't tighten down.What will I find next.
  9. R_Little Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Those transmissions are tough.

I'd just put it back together correctly and it should be fine.

Check the gears and dogs and put it back right.
  10. Clayfan Husqvarna
    A Class

Don't belive it for a second. Just did a crank , piston/motor rebuild after 450 hours in my 08 WR 250. Dealer sent a 125 case gasket instead of a 250 case gasket, (not his fault, p/n on the cardboard sleeve was correct, just the wrong gasket inside)

Anyway, with all this nice weather, and the fact it was a Sunday and the wife was working. I went to the Auto Parts store and bought a tube of Anerobic Sealer from Loctite. Great stuff, little goes a long way.
    We dry fit the motor 1st and spun all the gears and countershaft to see if that gasket is a clearence maker or breaker and it is not.

So we drew a bead, and slapped it together.

I think it shifts better now, but I did drop in new Honda Clutch Plates too.

To be frank, I think the case gasket is a leftover thing from engine assembly in an older plant mentality.
    If we ever get a new engine from Husky/BMW for the 250/300 I can almost gaurentee it won't have a center gasket. Robots put so much nicer a bead of sealer on a machined surface and its quicker than a human laying a gasket on.
  11. Xcuvator Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE450,610 WB165,WR250 WR360 & XC430
    Other Motorcycles:
    yes

Running the shafts with less clearance may not be a problem at all. Only time will tell.
  12. 454x Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Just an update with this false nuetral between 3/4 gear.Took everything apart and every thing internally was good to go except a main seal about to go bad on the ignition side.I ended up having to mill the center case stand off down flat again and shim it with a washer.I"m talking about the little aluminum stand off where the spring loaded bar with the little metal wheel that rides on the shift star.The little metal bar with wheel is susposed to be free floating under spring tension but the guy I bought it from tightened it so much it mushroomed the shoulder bolt it rides on and concaved the aluminum stand off. If I didnt shift all the way up it go into a false nuetral.It was so tight the spring could'nt do it's job.Now on to tuning my RB modified carb=0).
    Cheers.