1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

125-200cc 2009 WR125/144 for New England woods?

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by typeone, Jan 3, 2011.

1. typeone Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    07 TC270 + 09 WR165
    Other Motorcycles:
    08 X4 146 + 13 250RR
    I'm thinking of adding another Husky to the stable, a 2009 WR125, currently have an '07 TC250 that I ride MX and some woods with. I'd like to keep the TC for MX use and grab a 2-stroke for dedicated woods use (come from a hare scrambles background).

I haven't owned a 125cc 2-stroke since I was young, Honda CR125 set up for woods, and used to have a Honda CR250 a few season ago, also set up for woods. The 125 you had to keep on the pipe for best power, the 250 I could lug around as needed w/a FWW and gearing.

Questions I've been trying to dig up answers for...

- Where will I NOT like the WR125/144 compared to a WR250 in typical New England woods? All the reviews I read here about the WR125 make it sounds like the perfect machine but wonder if I should look for a WR250 instead.

- Will I need to be 'on the pipe' a lot with the WR125? Or does it work well through the full RPM range? I've seen some comments that you can lug these bikes around but I'm skeptical based on past 125cc MX bikes I've owned and ridden.

Reason for the '09, I can get a great deal on a new leftover. I'm already aware of the potential mid-range bog issue and have the 'CR/WR125 Index Thread' bookmarked for mods/tweaks/updates.

Reason for the WR125, I'm getting nostalgic about riding a 2-stroke again, the light weight and ease of maintenance, etc. is also a turn-on.

Any comments are appreciated! :thumbsup:
  2. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    WR150 -v- WR250

the 150 is an active ride, busy all the time but rewards with flickable handling. The wr250 feels a lot bigger and cumbersome but has a killer do it all motor. You pick what works for you. :cheers:
  3. typeone Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    07 TC270 + 09 WR165
    Other Motorcycles:
    08 X4 146 + 13 250RR
    thanks for the input!

this i like :thumbsup: but is there anywhere the motor feels too small/weak for a 175lb rider (sans gear)? i dont care about open drags.

this, not so much.

could you compare the WR250 to a TC250? i do really well in the woods on my TC but i want a lighter bike to throw around. does the WR250 feel more 'bigger and cumbersome' than the TC? (going to look up weights...)
  4. firebolter Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    06SM610
    Other Motorcycles:
    13TE300Berg,07KTM525EXC,13 HusWR165
    Any 125/150 will feel cumbersome next to a 250. it is not that the 250 is heavy at all. The 150 requires an "attack mode" on the trail more so than the 250 which is go where you want more or less in comparison.

You get good on a 150, you can ride anywhere anybody else can and use less energy typically...........I am faster on a small bore like a 125 than on a 450 in the woods and less fatigued at the end of a ride.
  5. LawnDartMike Husqvarna
    AA Class

I'm 210lbs on a '09 wr 125 with the OEM 144 kit. The only issue I have had is when there is a very sharp corner at the bottom of a steep hill where you don't have a chance to build momentum. I'm not saying you won't make it up the hill but I can't accelerate up it like I could on the kx 250 I had. I've found the little wr just keeps chugging long past when it should have stalled out. As said above it will not wear you out as much as a larger bike.
  6. typeone Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    07 TC270 + 09 WR165
    Other Motorcycles:
    08 X4 146 + 13 250RR
    appreciate the comments!

from everything i'm reading, it sounds like a 144 kitted WR is exactly what i want in a woods bike... just so hard to really know without riding one. of course my friends say to get at least a 250cc smoker again because the 144cc might not be enough. hmmm.
  7. fury1 Husqvarna
    AA Class

where are you in central mass?? i have an 07 144 with an auto clutch if you wanted to rip around on it and feel the torque,i know its an older model,and a different chassis,but the motors are pretty similar,you can crawl up any hill,and stab the clutch for more than enough power when needed
  8. typeone Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    07 TC270 + 09 WR165
    Other Motorcycles:
    08 X4 146 + 13 250RR
    i'm right down the road from Mt Wachusett, thanks for that ride offer!

i like hearing you can 'crawl' with this little bike. where do you ride your 144 most? you're prob familiar with all my 'local' spots... i would be frequenting Hodges, Franklin and the Berkshires in MA then prob Pisgah and Clough in NH.

i ride the TC out at Crow Hill MX a lot
  9. fury1 Husqvarna
    AA Class

wrentham,franklin,foxboro,crow hill once in a while(its got soft suspension,tough to moto on it)I race NETRA and ECEA and have ridden the bike at many different events,including snow run enduro in CT,october mountain and the mudslinger enduro,its a do it all bike that loves to be pushed

[IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
  10. water racer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

http://www.knoxenduro.com Knoxville, Tennessee
    Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 Beta 250RR
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 Husqvarna WR125 1997 Fantic
    I spend a lot of time lugging my 125 just like I did my KTM 250. Woods are so tight and rough where I ride not many dare to get on the pipe. Biggest advantage the 250 has is faster acceleration from the tight spots.
    GP
  11. dartyppyt Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    17 TE 150, 82CR 500
    Other Motorcycles:
    82 125,250,430&500 79 390 83 250
    I have both the WR250 and the WR125. I really like them both coming off of 4 strokes. Easy and cheaper to maintain and not kicking my self to a heart attack in the hot woods. My favorite things, are in both, in different areas. There are some great deals out there. Ever think of getting both? Two left overs equal about the price of a new one. Find someone that will sell you both and sharpen their pencils with a package deal.
  12. Troy F Collins Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr125
    Other Motorcycles:
    GGEC 250 Honda RC51 CBR 1000rr CR125
    You cant beat a 125 in snotty/mucky conditions.....but it works for me just about everywhere..fast desert...to slow woods stuff

just enough power to stay on the limit with out over doing things......
  13. skid Husqvarna
    A Class

I have an 08 cr 144 (egorr). It was a 125 but I blew it up and then went 144. Clough is about 20 minutes from me and I ride there too much. A wr can handle anything clough can throw at it in 125 or 144 mode. Gorr set my 144 up for more bottom and mid so I can grunt right along. In a way I wish I knew more about jetting and did not boof the motor. I think properly jetted a 125 would have been fine. that said the xtra cc's are nice. the 144, make it easier to ride, as screw ups don't leave you dead in the water. My only gripe about my husky is that it is too damn tall. I weigh about 200 lbs all geared up 48 yr old c rider. I was looking at getting a ktm 200 but they were giving away the 08's so I figured what the hell and gave it a shot. Currently looking at getting a yammie wr 250f for enduros and turkey runs. In a way we are kind of in the same boat!! Go for it!!
  14. ajaxauto Husqvarna
    Pro Class

I own and race both a CR 125 and a WR 250 both bikes have there good points
    since you already own a TC 250 then a 125 might be the way to go .
    As for lugging a wr 125 around like in the woods i can put my cr 125 into gear and walk along side of it and it will not stall .So a wr with its heaver flywheel would be even harder to stall.
    I have won a National #1 plate in hare and hound racing on the 125 and a National # 2 plate riding the 125 half the year and the 250 the other half.The 2011 season starts in 2 weeks and i still do not know which bike i will race .I have never heard or read any complaints on a bog or jetting problems with the cr over a wr on the 125 so that is something to think about
  15. wallybean Mini-Sponsor

I just got done yesterday mounting up the completely stock CR 125 top end on mine. Actually spent an hour out in 10-15 degree weather working it in. Today I spent some more time in balmy 18 degrees running it in further. First thing you notice is the CR doesn't bog like the WR does and the linkage is only about 20% of the way up. It has decent bottom leading into a nice mid and the usual topend scream. If you are used to the 144/167 then the 125 feels a bit tame everywhere, especially on the bottom/mid. I will get a dyno of it either this week or next depending on weather.
  16. vegtablebrain Husqvarna
    AA Class

The 125/144 will go further on a tank of gas. It's also easier to lift the front end to go over a log or avoid a bump. And if you want to become a better rider the 125/144 is the way to go.
  17. typeone Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    07 TC270 + 09 WR165
    Other Motorcycles:
    08 X4 146 + 13 250RR
    this is all great input, appreciate it! the pics rock too :thumbsup:

well, i dont really see any downside going for the 144 so far, staring to think my complete jones for this bike is totally justified.

also nice to know there are bunch of WR144 riders/racers here! :cheers:
  18. LawnDartMike Husqvarna
    AA Class

Don't worry about the WR 125 'bog'. Thanks to other CH members research the RM needle pretty much cures it. I bought a PWK for mine but am running the stock carb now with the RM needle and have no issues with it.
  19. typeone Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    07 TC270 + 09 WR165
    Other Motorcycles:
    08 X4 146 + 13 250RR
    good to know, LawnDartMike, thanks. that was my plan, try the RM needle first then go from there.
  20. typeone Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    07 TC270 + 09 WR165
    Other Motorcycles:
    08 X4 146 + 13 250RR
    BAH! i just called my dealer on the leftover '09... they JUST sold the last two to someone in Canada. guess i have some time now. boooo