1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

125-200cc 2009 WR125 issues.

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by mxboy, Jul 2, 2009.

1. mxboy Husqvarna
    B Class

HI guys,

I Just bought a 09 WR 125 and I've been told about the new pv kit but I didn't get it yet.
    My dealer is supposed to call me as soon as he gets it.

But here my story. When I bought the bike my dealer gave me a 450 main jet and a 45 pilot telling me it would enhance perfomance, juste like the new pv kit I should get later.

So, I went on my first ride to break in the bike and rode for about 45 min. Just slow riding trail. Then few days later I rode the bike for the first time up to the 6th gear on a gravel road, throttle half open. It took about a mile and the bike blew up! The piston seized! There was no overheating and I did a warm up before going on.

According to the piston's scuffs, located on the exhaust side, it ran too lean. I opened up the carb to see what kind of jets was inside.

The main was a 350 and the pilot was a 37.

As I read the previous threads, it seems obvious it ran too lean for what it supposed to run with properly.

I have to mention I'm from Montreal in Canada and I did nothing on the bike but riding it 55 min and I haven't been told to change the jets right away before riding it.

Does anyone have had to deal with the same issue?

Thanks for your comments

Don
  2. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    The bike should have come with that jetting kit. Different slide, needle, jets. It needs to be WAY richer than stock to run right. Mine would hardly run at all stock. This is typical jetting, you should be close to this for it to run right and not be lean. Your dealer should ahve told you and handed you a box of stuff including the jetting. really they should come installed as i see no way to ride the bike with the EPA stuff installed.

470 main
    32.5 pilot
    kit needle in the middle position
    4.0 or 5.0 slide (4.0 gives me more mid but spooges a lot)
  3. mxboy Husqvarna
    B Class

Other than those two jets , what else should I do or know to avoid other mess?

Thanks
  4. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Get the pipe off the shock reservoir. Can't think of anything else. :excuseme:
  5. rasputin Husqvarna
    AA Class

the described jetting is not a stock jetting. the euro-3 catalyzed jetting is 380/15 (5 hp, baby!), the open-version stock jetting is 460/35, and the final "kit" jetting with the dey needle is 460/45.

r
  6. Idacurt Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    07 WB177
    Other Motorcycles:
    Scorpa 175
    Mxboy,
    What oil and ratio are you using? how did the bike run before it seized?
  7. mxboy Husqvarna
    B Class

I've been told to run 40:1, which I did.

The bike was brand new and I used to ride a 250f, so the only thing I noticed is that it missed alot of low end, actually I've had to rev it up a bit to get some power in first gear. I ran it in a tight trail in 2nd but miss some guts in third though.

Anyway, with only 50 min of riding it, can't tell if the bike doing fine yet.
  8. Idacurt Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    07 WB177
    Other Motorcycles:
    Scorpa 175
    What a bummer,It would have taken the dealer 1/2 an hour at the most to switch those jets out.I think making sure the bike operates properly before it leaves would be a priority for a reputable dealer.
  9. mxboy Husqvarna
    B Class

I don't wanna blame the dealer. He's a well known Husky dealer in Ontario and he's doing his best to fix this issue so far. I think his was his first 09 WR 125 sold so he'll probably do things differently on the next sale.
  10. krieg Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Many in the past
    Other Motorcycles:
    '12 Triumph Scrambler
    The manual for the '09 WR/CR 125's specifies a break-in mixture of 25:1 and a normal mix of "no more than" 33:1 thereafter. Even so, I find it hard to believe a 40:1 mix with a good 2T oil would sieze a new motor... even with lean jetting... unless someting else was wrong. What kind of oil were you using?
  11. mxboy Husqvarna
    B Class

First, I did the break in with the mixture that was already in the gas tank. I think it was 40:1. So, I can't tell what was the kind or brand of oil mixed in the fuel at that time. Hey, the bike was brand new and I trust my dealer about what he told me to do.

I find it strange too that it blew up, especially the way I was riding it, which was in 2nd and third gear, until I try it 6th.

What about you guys out there. What mixture to run in your 125s? I mosty run at sea level, 90% in trails.
  12. Dirtdame Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11 WR300,13 WR125,18 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    17 Beta Xtrainer
    I don't think that the bike seizing had much to do with the mixture ratio. Modern oils can be run pretty well diluted without damaging the motor. And while different dilution ratio have a slight effect on jetting, it shouldn't be that noticeable. You could have either an air leak (intake or center cases) to cause a seize, or a severely lean jetting problem.
  13. Troy F Collins Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr125
    Other Motorcycles:
    GGEC 250 Honda RC51 CBR 1000rr CR125
    I second that.....there must have been something wrong...ie the first tank of fuel(from dealer) wasnt premix.....or air leak...on the other hand..running the( euro3) lean jetting without the slide and fatter jetting installed....is a big question mark....

you'll be ok if the dealer is reputable....Its a drag that this happened in the middle of a relatively short riding season in canada....

if the dealer knew about the changed up jetting and parts then they are reasonably well informed...and should have had the 45/450 in place...suffice to say that someone was inside that carb if the throttle stop was removed.....and should have installed the jets in the kit.....

am I correct to assume the throttle stop was removed when you got it......?
  14. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    I've run 40 or 50 to one ratio on most all my bikes for YEARS without issues. Amsoil mainly but others as well. I run Amsoil 40:1 in my 09 WR125 all the time. It currently has 619 miles on it.
  15. Picklito Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    430, 430, 430, ,400, 175
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM250xc, KTM500mx, KTM440exc
    So sorry this happened to you on your brand new bike. But I think it's pretty clear what happened. Sounds like most guys are running 450-470 mains, along with other changes, and you had a 350 main in a new motor. Too lean. That's why it seized, plain and simple. Not the oil or ratio. Also, 2 strokes do NOT lubricate well at cruise, where you're running higher RPM and smaller throttle openings. I've seen this happen before: A new owner 'thinks' he's being nice to the new motor by using part throttle only, riding around "lightly." Not so good, actually. Larger throttle at lower rpm is the way to break them in. Cruising in 6th at part throttle on a new engine with lean jetting... disaster. So sorry this happened to you.

Yes, the dealer should have delivered the bike in a condition that would not blow itself up, but he probably didn't have much support from Corporate. If they're gonna uncrate a bike with jetting that far off, they should change it before you receive it. If, for some legal reason he can't change the EPA jetting when sold new, he should hand you the jets (which he did) and MAKE SURE you know to put them in before you run the motor.

Best wishes.
  16. Troy F Collins Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr125
    Other Motorcycles:
    GGEC 250 Honda RC51 CBR 1000rr CR125
    Good plan.....might inform others before its too late about the perils involved with improper jetting....:thumbsup:
  17. mxboy Husqvarna
    B Class

Thanks everybody for your tips and comments about my issue. Since it has nothing to do with the initial thread, I agree with Dean that we should splitting up.
  18. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250, 2013 TR650 Terra - sold
    The thread is now split. Feel free to change the title of the thread by editing the title of the first post if you want :)
  19. HuskyDude Moderator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    13/TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    10/EC300, 76/TY175
    :thumbsup:
    I run my GG TXT 280 Trials @ 80/1 all day when I ride with the other Enduros and 100/1 when competing. Never a problem.
    It also has 1/3 the cooling rad of other bikes too, but that's another story.:D
  20. ScottyR Husqvarna
    AA Class

I want to see those jets with my own 2 eyes, but, if that bike was delivered with that small of main jet in it, then yes, someone messed up and it will be looked after no questions asked. The weird part is that I have the piston and cylinder in question sitting on my desk, and the wash on the top of the piston looks like the bike is rich! I showed the piston and cylinder to a buddy who build 250hp + snowmobile engines and he also thinks that the piston looks pretty good on the top.

I have spoken to a couple of well respected US Husky dealers about this particular bike and there have been a couple of instances of bikes going down while riding down a road or at a constant speed for extended periods. 1 particular dealer has had 2 burn down, both in the mid range, not WFO. None of the bike have had the PV updates done when they puked.

I have a suspicion that these bikes have a lean spot in the mid range and the constant half throttle running aggravates the situation until a seizure occurs.

The people at Husq would not say that there has been a problem with WR125s, but yet there was no sense of surprise when I called about this particular bike going down. There are hardly any 09 WR125s out in the field (less than 30 have been sold) right now so if even 2-3 of them go down, that is a large percentage of bikes in service right now.