1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

250-500cc 2009 wr250

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by Travis McIver, Dec 24, 2012.

1. Travis McIver Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Wr250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ktm 505 sxf
    Hello, I'm new here and need a little help. I'm currently looking to purchase a used 2009 WR250. I've never owned a husky and want to know if there are any known issues with this year and model or what I need to look for before I buy it. The guy is asking $2800.00 for it which seems like a decent deal. looks like its been raced but is in decent shape. I'm mostly afraid of the forks and getting parts for it. Any help would be appreciatted. Thanks.
  2. MOTORHEAD Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 YAMAHA YZ250
    The WR's are pretty bullet proof and parts are not a problem at all. I actually find it easier to get Husky parts than Honda parts.

Just look the bike over very good and make sure it starts and runs OK. Try to figure out if it's been well maintained. Check the linkage and wheel bearings the best you can. Then just look for anything you would any other used bike, like stripped thread, bad tank inserts, or tweaked parts.
  3. Travis McIver Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Wr250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ktm 505 sxf

Okay thank you! I just didn't know if there were any inherent problems with the year. I'm currently on a KTM 505 sxf and want to go back to a 2-stroke and get on something lighter and more manageable in the woods.

We have a good local husky shop here and I just stumbled on a post here that has tons of resources for parts.

The bike I'm looking at looks pretty clean in the pics and is a good price. I'll be looking at it this Wednesday after work.
  4. PowerKord Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2008 WR 250 Sold
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 Sherco SE-R 250
    I bought my 2008 WR250 about a year ago. I've been very happy with it. The only initial problem I encountered besides needing to have the suspension revalved was that the clutch dragged pretty badly. Replacing the stock clutch cable with a Motion Pro Terminator cures this problem. If you end up buying the bike keep that in mind.
  5. Travis McIver Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Wr250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ktm 505 sxf
    Good to know. I figured the suspension would need to be revalved for my weight etc... Seems like the motion pro terminator would be a cheap fix.
  6. jimmyc Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11 TXC449, 09 SM610, WR250, plated
    Other Motorcycles:
    18YZ250X GS1200 busa duc900SS GG
    Bought a one new 2009(leftover) in early 2011.
    Was new to trail riding , have put it thru everything and anything , extreme mud, water, heat, a few hare scrambles, abused the clutch, brakes. Crashed repeatedly and the damaged is the plastic ( many many rear fenders, hehehe) and the pipe , till i got a gnarly and a guard. Broke off the collector mounts till i rubber mounted them.
    Broke both cables.

Road it 30 weekend last year in a row with no mechanical problems .

stripped out bolts on side plastic and one in tank, ( gotta stop tightening bolts to much)

Still on first piston and spark plug.

Has never ever failed to start and run !!!

Couldn't ask for a better 250 woods\trail bike
    marcmo0 and MOTORHEAD like this.
  7. Travis McIver Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Wr250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ktm 505 sxf

Sounds like you've put it through a complete test. I don't think I have any doubts about the capabilities of the bike anymore. I've read quite a bit about them the last few days and have confidence that they have lots of support behind them. I'm going to check out the WR250 tonight so hopefully it is in good shape. Thanks for everyone's input. This has forum has been a great resource thus far.
  8. Travis McIver Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Wr250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ktm 505 sxf
    I went and checked out the wr250 tonight and the pics were pretty deceiving. It was kind of strange, the guy who owned it used it for a street bike, never changed the oil etc, had the rear shock bottomed out to lower the back end all the way so he could ride it. I couldn't even tell if the rear shock worked cause there was no travel in it, it just sat there and squeaked. That being said the motor and tranny were incredibly smooth. I think it could be a decent bike but it would have to be completely gone through and checked out. I will pass this one up and keep looking. I think that the husky will be in top of my list. I've seen a few 300's around here that I'll probobly check me out.
  9. Doug Piper Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR250 SM250
    glad you walked away from that one, looks like it did not recieve much maintenance
  10. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08\013 WR250, 010 TC250, 012 TC250
    These guys over here will squat their bikes down in the rear with that manner ... many are not too interested in speed here in a lot of cases so it works out...