1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

250-500cc 2009 WR300 fork seals

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by fuzzyh, Feb 22, 2010.

1. fuzzyh Husqvarna
    C Class

What's the prefered fix for the problematic 2009 WR300 fork seals?
  2. PC. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    CR165 & CR144
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM500
    Problematic? Never heard of anyone else having issues.

I know Synergy seals are supposed to be the fix for some other Zoke models.
  3. krieg Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Many in the past
    Other Motorcycles:
    '12 Triumph Scrambler
    Ditto. This is the first post I've ever seen regarding "problematic" fork seals on the 300's. :excuseme::excuseme::excuseme:
  4. billwr300 Husqvarna
    C Class

no problem with my 09
  5. HuskyDude Moderator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    13/TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    10/EC300, 76/TY175
  6. razornpc Husqvarna
    AA Class

have you tried cleaning them out with a peice of old tare off?
  7. BentAero Husqvarna
    A Class

There are only two reasons that fork seals leak, assuming your tubes are still round.

Either there is a contaminant under the lip of the seal, or the lip itself has a cut in it. Sometimes it's both.

Think of the fork seal like the windshield wiper on your car. Get a leaf stuck under the wiper, and it won't clean the water off very well -leaves a big streak of water until the leaf is removed. Get a cut in the rubber edge of the wiper that touches the glass, and it will leave a constant streak as well -permanently.

If your leaking seal is caused by the former, it can often be cured (as others have mentioned) by inserting a thin piece of film in between the tube and the seal surface to remove the contaminate. To do this you must slide the wiper/scraper down out of place so you can get to the seal. A great device to 'wipe' with is a common business card. The paper will absorb the grunge up inside the seal lip, and often the particle that is causing the leak will stick to it. It will take several cards to do it, but you didn't have any better use for the cards from your old job. ;)

If your leak is caused by the latter, no amount of seal wiping with a card will help.

Down in Baja I had a rock hit one of the tubes, putting a sharp knick in the tube. As the forks compressed, the knick then sliced the seal causing it to leak. Worse yet, that same knick put a nasty gouge in the lower fork bushing ruining it as well. Fortunately, the knick wasn't so bad that it wouldn't polish out of the tube. (Disassemble the fork, put the tube in a lathe, and polish it with 1200 grit sandpaper) The bushing, and obviously the seal, needed to be replaced. All is now good.
  8. HuskyDude Moderator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    13/TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    10/EC300, 76/TY175
    All good info.:thumbsup:

But if you don't bleed off excess air built up in your shock it will leak.

Link from LTR. Equalize the air pressure

:cheers:
  9. fuzzyh Husqvarna
    C Class

Ok, so "problematic" may have been a little harsh. I love this bike guys!
    I just had the first race on it. Only the second outing on the bike from new. Dirt Rider magazine had the same issue when they tested the 2009 new. This is where my "problematic" comment came from.

I am have not yet tried the standard methods to remedy leaky seals. I have had several bikes that at one time or another leaked and could be fixed. It just seemed odd that DR had an issue, then I do one 2 hour hare scramble and I have a soaked brake caliper and soaked exhaust pipe. :excuseme:

I was just hoping that there was a Husky standard fix.

Again, this is my first Husky and I love the thing after only 1 trail ride and 1 race.

PS - I do bleed the air on the stand as one of my pre race day checks.

thanks all.
  10. Flyin Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR 300
    I saw your post yesterday and thought The only time I've heard of a problem with them was when Dirt Rider was testing the '09.

I installed bleeders, I bleed mine before I ride, with the bike in a static position. I also bleed them as they warm up.

If you are bleeding them on a stand before you ride, you will have a lot of pressure once they are warmed up. While I don't think this is what caused your problem, it's certianly adding fuel to the fire.
  11. lunatick Husqvarna
    AA Class

In Australia they,ve been Very Problematic:excuseme:
    I was all set to replace my 06 WR 250 with an 09 WR 300 but all the blokes on Huskies that i ride with were doing seals pretty regularly,
    So i waited for the 2010 WR 300 with the Kayabas
  12. motosapiens Husqvarna
    A Class

Based on my experience with other bikes, my standard fix would be to install synergy seals (www.synergyseals.com). they do seem to be available for the 50mm zokes.

we just changed out a set of synergy seals that had been in my fiancees bike for over 10,000 hard offroad miles, including many streamcrossings, and pretty much no maintenance. They may have only started leaking due to wear and play in the bushings, so we replaced the bushings as well.
  13. 2stroked Husqvarna
    A Class

One side of my 07 45's started leaking and I just got a peice of 35mm film and it fixed it. I never have had problems with any of my bikes fork seals, just clean the dust seals and I put some grease in behind the dust seals, it seems to keep the dirt from getting into the oil seals, just make sure you clean them out once and awhile so the dirt doesn't mix with the grease and get into your oil seals
  14. fuzzyh Husqvarna
    C Class

Ok guys. Just went through my leaking forks. They were packed with fine sand (that will make em leak). It also killed one of the bushings. There were a lot of other guys that had the same issue from that race I am told. SO, all is good now and i will go to the next race and see how the seals do.:applause:
  15. motosapiens Husqvarna
    A Class

yikes. must have been a horrendous mudfest.

out here in the west, the most common leak-causer I have seen is snow patches in the desert. you get some silty mud on the forks, and it dries quickly in the desert air, then you hit some big whoops or g-outs and the dried mud gets forced into the seals. i have many times just pulled the forks apart, wiped out the seals, reassembled and added fresh oil and continued for years. I typically shorten the tension springs in the seals by a few mm too. They seem to be pretty slack in order to minimize stiction at first, but after a short break-in period, stiction seems to go away anyway.