2010 Husky TE 250 with JD PowerSurge 6x (fixing low end bog?)

Discussion in 'EFI/carb' started by henson802, Sep 19, 2011.

1. henson802 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Hi all,

I got a 2010 Husky TE 250 - it is uncorked except spark arrestor still in. The dealership said they load up the bikes with the latest fuel mapping but it still has the low end bog... they may have been bs'ing me who knows.

I got the JD PowerSurge 6x and put in the recommended settings. But I still got that slight low end bog/hesitation right off acceleration. Sometimes it will bog and sometimes it won't (dependent how fast I twist the throttle), doesn't exactly breed confidence when riding ;) Bike has been broken in, 1500 miles.

Anyone have other settings for Northeast USA riding for JD Powersurge 6x (http://www.jdjetting.com/xcart/product.php?productid=138&cat=16&page=1)? I wasn't sure if the 'accelerator pump' setting has anything to do with the low end bog or not???

Thanks for any help or info!
  2. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    play with the accelerator pump feature and the green zone, you should be able to tune it out. Also might PM "ioneater" (Greg) as he has a lot of use on his 2010 TXC250 and is real happy with the results.
  3. henson802 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Cool... will do, so when it bogs like that when you quickly accelerate means you need to richen the mix?

Thanks!
  4. ioneater Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 TXC 250
    Other Motorcycles:
    08 Sprint
    1st, check your plug gap. It may be tighter than spec and that'll effect the low end a little bit. Set your CO settings to 100 with ibeat or my settings won't be as accurate for you. My txc pretty much wants to be richer than JD's settings. Hope this helps ya...

Green/Blue (idle) 5
    Green (low) 5
    Yellow (mid) 5
    Red (high) 4.5
    Yellow/Blue (transition) 3
    Red/Blue (accelerator pump) 5.5

CO 1,2,3 set to 100. TPS calibrated with iBeat

Greg
  5. jxg Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '10 TE250
    when you get these "northeast" settings set, please post your results. i just put the unit on my '10 te250, and so far have ridden up the road and back with it, just to make sure i installed it correctly (had a bitch of a time connecting the "old" connector to the plug on the harness, felt like i was going to break something when trying to connect them together). where do you ride? don't see too many other 250's here in NE.
  6. DougW Husqvarna
    AA Class

You didn't say, but did you take the 40 tooth main gear off? If not that can produce hesitation at times as well. It did even on my 310 till I changed it out.
  7. henson802 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Thanks Greg. And yea, I switched to 50 tooth rear. I do casual riding around Vermont and New Hampshire. You don't see any Huskies up here, mostly KTM (Kost too much haha). I actually had to go to Mass to get the Husky. I ride mostly logging trails and occasional atv trail :thumbsup: Hardly any dual sport (450s or lower) riders around these parts, time to start a trend!!

I don't have iBeat software and there are no dealers around here that do. But I'm guessing the dealership I got it from Mass loaded up with the factory setup (which they say they always do any how).

I think my accelerator pump is a bit low, around 3 if I remember correctly. I'll check tomorrow.

Thanks for the input everybody - Cheers and Safe Riding! :banana:
  8. Phoenix Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 TXC 450
    Other Motorcycles:
    2 Ducs, 14 GG 200, 13 Husa 300
    I am using ioneater's settings in Oklahoma City (elevation ~1200 ft, recent temps 70s to 90s) and can vouch that they are absolutely awesome! He should really call JD and have them use these as the preloaded settings. My bike went from stuttering and almost cutting out at low throttle to running absolutely perfect for two trail rides and one race. In Sunday's race, the bike didn't flame out even once, whereas it previously would die a couple of times. I think his numbers on the yellow/blue and red/blue made the most difference. I'm just not very good at deciding when the thing is too rich/lean, so ioneater's settings really helped me out.

I had trouble with those connectors as well. Its like the new plug from JD is too long and not wide enough to fill the space. It actually sits in at a slight angle, and I had to put a zip ty over it to keep the little keeper tab over the nub (see crappy phone photo). I keep meaning to call JD about it, but it seems to be working fine and I keep forgetting.

[IMG]
  9. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    i just spent a lot of time talking with JD as they had my 511 on the dyno and he said ALL the huskys are quite lean even in power up mode. Need to go several steps richer on the yellow and red for sure.
  10. jxg Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '10 TE250
    that is about how mine is too, although maybe a bit straighter. i wrapped it a bunch of times with electrical tape, to make sure it didn't pop out.
  11. henson802 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Thanks everybody for the input and feedback - especially Greg (ioneater) for his settings. It did the trick... appreciate it!!

Cheers!
  12. ioneater Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 TXC 250
    Other Motorcycles:
    08 Sprint
    That's good to hear! I'm really happy with this unit as it is SO easy to adjust on a ride. My high (red) had a big flat spot in it, all I did was start tweaking in half steps up and down until it improved. No laptop and just requires yanking the seat for an adjustment.

Anybody messed with the transition (yellow/blue) yet? I've left that alone mostly because I understand its impact the least.
  13. scottyk Husqvarna
    B Class

I have a 09 TE250, I was sent the wrong tuner from JD (10-11'), called him (great person to work with) and we tuned it on the phone. Rode 60 miles of single track with new tuner and the only thing I can say is that it made a world of difference. Bike went thru a ton of fuel but I have the settings very rich. Putting on the Uptite pipe today and I'm sure George will have different settings for me to run. Will see how this set up works as I'm heading to the Big Woods ride this weekend.

My setting are as follows.

Green = 6
    Yellow = 5
    Red = 6
    Green/Blue = 5-6
    Yellow/Blue = 5
    Red/Blue = 5-6 (accelerator pump)
  14. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Knock you green back as far as you can and still run good and it will get much better mileage. My bike runs way cooler and the exaust pipe does not get near as hot. This thing is great.
  15. montanaman Husqvarna
    A Class

Anyone know the increased fuel consumption with the above setting? I ran one tank on my 2011 TE250 with the stock JD settings and it seemed like it really sucked fuel. Would love to have an estimate on a tankful of desert riding with the JD