2010 range reviewed in UK press (TBM/DBR)

Discussion in 'Newsroom' started by petem, Aug 5, 2009.

1. petem Husqvarna
    A Class

Just received the latest issues of Trail Bike Magazine (August) and Dirt Bike Rider (September).

TBM includes a review of the 2010 TE250 with brief comments on the changes to the rest of the range and notes on riding the TE450 (which he doesn't seem to like due to the motor being "too ballsy" and "hard to modulate" :eek:).

DBR includes a review focussing on the 2010 TE250 & TC250, with another mention for the TE450 (this time it's "too heavy" and has "stifled power" :confused:)

Both reviews do seem to like the 250s. DBR also has a review of the 2010 Husaberg range for those who are into that sort of thing.
  2. 7point62 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2004 TE450
    Other Motorcycles:
    2001 Kawasaki TR250
    :lol: "Too ballsy" and yet "stifled". Gotta love it here in the UK.

Anyone who calls a TE "too heavy" has obviously never been stuck under an XR600 in a bramble patch*. ;)

*that's a mess of thorn bushes for overseas readers. :)
  3. fitness2go Husqvarna
    AA Class

The TE 450 is a little heavy!
  4. petem Husqvarna
    A Class

I guess it all depends what you're used to! I went from the F800GS on which I started off-roading, to a WR250R which was half the weight and actually pretty good but didn't have quite as much punch as I wanted, to the TE450 which is noticeably lighter even than the WR despite having almost double the engine capacity, so I don't find the TE heavy at all!

There's no doubt the smaller TEs are more flickable and probably quicker when the going gets tight, but the TE will always seem like a featherweight to me as I have been stuck under the 800 and at over 200kg you're not going to be lifting that off you with one hand! :D Also it steered somewhat like a barge.

I don't have huge off road experience but so far I haven't found the TE's power to be too much of a handful, even when it's slippery on tight tracks, whereas the 800 was a problem due to a very sharp on/off throttle response. I'm sure the G2 throttle cam on the TE helps, but that's a pretty simple mod to do and leaves you with the option of restoring normal operation in a minute if you want it. The map switch is also fitted but I've never yet felt the need to select the softer map. Maybe one day I'll try the standard throttle cam to see what all the fuss is about and scare myself silly! :eek:
  5. Darkside Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none left
    Other Motorcycles:
    beta, ktm, aprilia
    Ooh, I'd like to hear what they say about the new Husabergs.
  6. petem Husqvarna
    A Class

Hadn't actually read the article yet but I've just had a quick skim through it. In summary:

FE390 - Smooth power, amazingly comfy, great traction, the only negative being a slight lack of punch (but it's not clear what that means as he says it's not lacking in mid range or top end and produces amazing amounts of torque :confused: - he also said he believes it could be easily solved by remapping anyway).

FX450 - Noticeably lighter than the enduro model, fairly tall gearing but usable, suspension positive and plush, encourages you to push hard.

FE450 - Improvements for 2010 are easily noticeable, steering is much better, suspension works well but may need the forks stiffening a little, overall "I cannot really find fault with this bike".

FE570 - Most of the same improvements as the FE450, predictable and fun, feels like a much smaller bike, lots of low down grunt but "also your demon fire-breathing buddy" when you need it.

Overall, it's very positive (though obviously not up to Husky standards :D ).
  7. Darkside Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none left
    Other Motorcycles:
    beta, ktm, aprilia
    Thanks for posting. I was thinking about getting a 300 kit for my TE250. Now I might look into a 390 kit.:)
  8. petem Husqvarna
    A Class

One thing that I just realised wasn't mentioned in the article is the Husaberg warranty. I could be wrong, but at least until recently I believe it was only 30 days in the UK :eek: - we get 2 years on Huskys :thumbsup: but on some other makes there's no warranty at all.

Of course, the Husaberg warranty may be better in other countries, but worth checking if anyone's thinking of moving to the dark side. :)
  9. Blazes Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Eddie Seel 634SMR works Replica -
    Other Motorcycles:
    Aprilla Dosodoro 2X 2009 610
    I sometimes wonder about these Bike reviews:confused:
    Heavy---Had a Xr 650 r--Now that thing is Heavy. Raced Huskies in S/A for 12 years. Even the Old 360-390 and 500xc were Not heavy as far as i am concerned--Just my 2c worth.

Love my 07 TE450 easy to work on and easy to ride as well--everywhere.

Try working on the new Husaberg--Carb jetting-Remove sub-frame to get to the carb :excuseme:
  10. rasputin Husqvarna
    AA Class

carb? subframe?

r
  11. Darkside Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none left
    Other Motorcycles:
    beta, ktm, aprilia
    everything I've read says they have the best dialed in efi around.
  12. petem Husqvarna
    A Class

So that would explain why it's difficult getting to the carb... :D
  13. Darkside Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none left
    Other Motorcycles:
    beta, ktm, aprilia
    I was trying to be subtle.
  14. Blazes Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Eddie Seel 634SMR works Replica -
    Other Motorcycles:
    Aprilla Dosodoro 2X 2009 610
    SORRY ---:confused: was dreaming of Easter eggs that were hatching. Did not read properly as to the --efi-- Just had one with a carb issue and was a pain to jet :busted: