2010 TC250 -v- 09 KTM250 2st

Discussion in 'Get togethers - Reports' started by Motosportz, Oct 11, 2011.

1. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Rode my new to me 2010 TC250 with two buddies with KTM 250 2st's. One buddy is interested in a TXC310 so wanted to try it. IMHO the TC is faster in the woods, accelerates harder between corners, handles far better, feels lighter and is more planted. Nothing wrong with the KTM but the TC feels a lot racier and quicker through the woods to me. The KTM starts far EZer :D It is fun swapping bikes. The KTM350 feels like a slow 450 in comparison. The TC feels quicker between corners and is FAR lighter feeling but the 350 suspension was awesome as was the EFI. So many good bikes. The TC keeps making other bikes feel porky and not good turning. And although i have heard it many times that the TC250 is slow it must make the perfect power for tighter woods because it feels anything but slow, in fact most get off and comment on how quick reving and overall how quick it is. In the more open stuff i can see how it is called slower but in the woods a nice bottom end and mid range power (a good bit more than the KTM250) is pretty stinking fast.

Fun stuff.
  2. TROFFER88 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Someone drinkin the 100 proof Husky Koolaid
  3. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    The KTM owner largely agreed.
  4. Clete Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '01 CR/WR 250, '13 650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    '06 Suzuki SV650 (gone)
    You mentioned KTM 250 2Ts, but mainly talked about a 350, hmmmmm?????
  5. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Buddy last ride had the KTM 250 2st. Ride two days before guy had a KTM 350 XC. Nice bike for sure.

Just some simple observations about different bikes, i am not looking to upset anyone. All these bikes are awesome was simply comparing attributes. The 350 would for sure be a more versatile bike. The 250 2st would be better in the real nasty gnar as 2strokes don't pop-n-stall and are generally EZer to live with in REAL nasty crap. I'm simply surprised how fast the TC is in comparison to these bikes given the "weak motor" reports.

BTW the TC is a real active ride, need to ride it like a 125. It loves this and repays you for it. Spontaneous and active is the way would describe it. Not for everyone I'm sure. Real fun to ride though.
  6. krieg Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Many in the past
    Other Motorcycles:
    '12 Triumph Scrambler
    I've ridden the KTM 250SX (MX version 2 stroke) and it was a handful in the woods. Didn't like it at all. The TC 250 is vastly superior in the woods in every regard IMHO. I never rode the woods version of the KTM 250 2T, so I can't pass judgement.
    Pedec likes this.
  7. Darkside Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none left
    Other Motorcycles:
    beta, ktm, aprilia
    Unless the TC is quite a bit snappier than the TXC, I would have to disagree. I sold my TXC 250 and bought a KTM 300xc. The KTM is noticably lighter in handling and weight. Although the Husky does turn better. Of course there is no comparison in power.
  8. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    The TC is snappier (less flywheel weight, higher spec cams, more compression, no CAT, open exhuast, big f-in carb) and a lot lighter (no e-start, efi, switches, lights nothing)

BTW i owned a 2010 TXC250 as well. Other than the E-start and 6 speed i prefer the TC.
  9. krieg Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Many in the past
    Other Motorcycles:
    '12 Triumph Scrambler
    Me too. The TXC was ok, but the TC was the shiz. Completely different animals.
  10. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    I wish they would make a XC version, a TC with the 6 speed, 18" rear wheel and E-start kit for not to much. :cheers:
  11. haulin husky7 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    13 txc310, 2000 wr360
    Other Motorcycles:
    2016 TM 300en, 93 KLX650R, 1975 XR75
    I have rode a 07 ktm 300 xcw and was not impressed at all the bike felt very slow and it felt like it took it forever to hit any power at all, it was a very cramped riding position, bad handling and very scary to ride standing, this bike had about 5 hours on complete rebuild, the suspension was very nice though, after riding it and getting on the wr I was suprized by the power difference and remembered you had to ride the wr with care or else the motor will try and kill ya.
  12. Norman Foley Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Trumansburg, NY... The Beautiful, Finger Lakes
    Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 250WR 86 250WR 93 WXE350 03 TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    '85 Fantic 300 '12 HUSABERG TE250
    That's what the old TXC were and then the X-Lite TXC250 became a TE250 with no lights. A true TXC250 would kick butt.

Back to the 250 4T/2T comparo... Hard to believe that with 13+ more hp, the KTM 250 2T is slower.
  13. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    I said the TC was quicker in the woods because the power comes on much quicker, there is more bottom and mid. The KTM smokes it on top but unless you want to ride around in the trees pinned it's not useful. I guess i should say the TC had more useful power for going quicker in the woods. Ken, the owner of the KTM said the TC felt faster after riding it. He is in the market for a light weight 4st now and will be going to the NW gathering to try the TXC310 if there is one there. In his words he did not think he really needed the extra HP of the 310 after riding it but I assured him he did for DS and more open stuff. I'm sure in the open the TC feels weak.

I was just trying to post some comparative info, was not looking to start anything or "drink the coolaid" so I just not post this stuff as it all just seems like i need to defend my statements. Whatever.
  14. TROFFER88 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

That's funny
  15. john01 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

I have a 2010 TC 250 and I find it a better woods bike on the more flowing stuff (3rd thru 5 gear) as I ride in the mid range a lot. With the Leo slip on and Halls jetting it shines at this. It also feels as light as my 08 CR144 which I love. I had a short ride on a KTM 350 didn't care for it at all; felt heavy and had to rev the crap out of it. Good write up K.
  16. Norman Foley Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Trumansburg, NY... The Beautiful, Finger Lakes
    Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 250WR 86 250WR 93 WXE350 03 TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    '85 Fantic 300 '12 HUSABERG TE250
    Not making you defend your comments... You were there and I wasn't. Every ride on my WR144 reminds me that... "There is no replacement for displacement", may be a falsehood!
  17. john01 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Is it Norm...in the case of the 125 vs the 144 it sure is true. I still can't believe how much better my 144 is over the stock 125; unreal.
  18. jmetteer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TXC300 CR125 CR144
    Other Motorcycles:
    WR250F, TRANSALP
    Yeah that darn cheater big bore kit will get you every time... :D

I love my 125, and the fun factor edge goes to the 125 for sure. But the TC250 is the fastest slow bike I have ever ridden. It has very useful power, puts the power down extremely well, lifts the front up about 4" and rockets between corners. It does exactly what the 125 does just with less drama. It doesn't take 60 hp to ride 20 mph in the woods, less is more for me, less power, and less weight.

Later,
  19. jmetteer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TXC300 CR125 CR144
    Other Motorcycles:
    WR250F, TRANSALP
    That is funny, I really prefer my 125 to the 144's I have ridden.

To bring this slightly back on topic here is a video of the 125 chasing an 09 KTM250... On a trail that Kelly did a great job fixing up last year. :thumbsup:

[IMG]

Later,
  20. JasonfromMN Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None right now :(
    Other Motorcycles:
    2013 Yamaha FZ6R
    +1. Im far faster on my TE 250 than my TE 450. I can do things I never dreamed of on the 250 compared with the 450 and for much longer.