2010 TE 250 Idling issues

Discussion in 'EFI/carb' started by Stephen, Sep 4, 2011.

1. Stephen Husqvarna

Hello, I just purchased a used 2010 TE 250 last week, i knew the owner of the bike very well in which he kept the bike mint and had all kinds of extras on it. Yesterday i went to go for a ride and the bike would not start, it fire up and then die once and then just never ran again. I let it sit for an hour and kick started it and it would only start with using the hot start lever, it would not idle..or it idle too low and would stall when i would ride it i could not let it idle or it would die. This bike has the jd power surge 6x in it. Some time the bike does not like to start with the electric start it just cranks, i have only had this bike a week if that so any advice is great cause i have not even put 5 miles on the bike yet and am itching to go for a rip!

Thanks for reading!
    Stephen
  2. HUSKYnXJnWI Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09TE450
    EDIT:(on my 450)>> so I am not sure but> That is not a "hot start" that's a manual decompression lever on the bars. The bike has auto decompresion as well so most never use the manual decomp- maybe to turn it over/ cycle while kick starting or to clear after water intusion... but not much- it should not be needed for normal starting. Unless your talking about the air bypass knob (high idle knob). If it only starts with that- I'd say your idle is set way to low (should be 1900--2000.

I'd call your buddy and talk to him- he knows the history of what has been adjusted and checked. Least he might have some clue where to look otherwise you are starting with none and have to learn the bike while it is in a 'off state'- kinda hard to know where to start without doing/ checking everything.

??Valve adjustments, air filter over oiled, idle air screw way out of adjustment, tps out of adjustment, Fueling from the tuner out of adjustment, bad gas (how long if at all was it sitting), spark plug/ wire, intake boot air leaks, there's more??
  3. jxg Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '10 TE250
    i think you are wrong (or I could be wrong), but the lever on the bars of a '10 TE250 is called the Enrichener Level. from what I understand, it just shoots a little more fuel into the injector to make starts a bit easier. I don't think there is a manual decompressor on the '10 TE250 (i can't find one on mine, anyway. Maybe luigi forgot mine?).
  4. Phoenix Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 TXC 450
    Other Motorcycles:
    2 Ducs, 14 GG 200, 13 Husa 300
    Agreed with JXG...that lever richens it for starting. On other Huskies I have owned it was a decomp lever, which led me to think it was the same thing on my 2010 250.

You might check the settings on that JD tuner. I unplugged my battery for a long period of time once and the tuner lost its settings. The bike would start and immediately die unless you kept it revved up really high.
  5. Stephen Husqvarna

Thanks for replying, I talked to my friend and he said it is possible that water has got into the air box and is sucking water in, which leads to the hard starting. He said to put a new plug in it and check for water, so that is what ill start with after school tomorrow.

Thanks so much!
  6. BILLF CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    92WXC350 /Lamson CR250/701 Vitpilen/
    Other Motorcycles:
    Triumph900 Scrambler 1200 HD Nightst
    I jus had a 2011 Te250 with the same symptoms,we checked everything,had great spark swapped all the ignition components except one,The coil,its funny it would start every time and run great above idle and with the cold start lever held open run perfect always,but it started to soot up the plug fast so we ohmed out the coil the secondary had an open yet it ran great off idle and woukld not restart hot until cooled down.We put a coil on it and vavoom.
    I dont want to steer you wrong check on all your baseline stuff 4.5ohms on the secondary and 20.kohms on primary.
  7. ioneater Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 TXC 250
    Other Motorcycles:
    08 Sprint
    The "little red lever" is for cold starting if needed at all. In the winter, mine has to have it to run for the first minute or so. Once warmed up it does nothing helpful. As Bill mentioned, the coil is not weather proofed at all. My 2010 would run crappy after a big puddle splash and then rip like normal after a minute or so. I pulled the coil/plug and silicon sealed it where the plug wire entered the coil. No problem since and plenty of puddles for proof!