1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

250-500cc 2010 WR250 Vs KTM XCW250

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by Vinduro, Jan 11, 2010.

1. Vinduro Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Has anyone actually compared a WR250 to a KTM XCW250 ? I would be interested in thoughts. Especially with regards to engine performance. Low end, midrange and top end. Which is faster ? Which seems to have more low end and midrange ?
    Inquiring minds want to know.
    DR
  2. Bradass80 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Do a search, this has been discussed a few times recently. The WR has more power than a KTM 250, almost as much as a KTM 300 in fact. I've got an 08 WR250 and am definitly glad I got it over a KTM. Brad.
  3. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    I've ridden both many times. I prefer the motor in the WR. KTM's are great bikes but just don't fit me for some reason so that said my opinion is biased.
  4. wallybean Mini-Sponsor

The motor on the WR 250 is great and very bullet proof as you will read in many posts. I find that it has plenty of bottom end and you can chug it to nothing and it will pull right out of it. While the Wr 250 is top heavy and doesn't exactly turn like an RM, it does handle better the faster you ride it and once in motion it doesn't react like it is top heavy.

Walt
  5. 2whlrcr Husqvarna
    A Class

I have an 07 WR250 and have ridden plenty of KTM 250's. The motor on the Husky is stronger throughout. But the motor on the KTM is more tunable and very easy to ride. Plus the new ones have electric start.

I would choose the KTM for a really nasty, tight, muddy enduro over the Husky. But the Husky definitely runs harder in faster, more open conditions. I put a Rekluse on my Husky to help tame the nasties. I'm a slow A class racer.
  6. wallybean Mini-Sponsor

Yep KTM includes extra power valve springs and dual mapping on the ignition which allows you to tune it for what you ride. I have a power valve kit coming for the larger WR's but it is a real pain in the ass to change compared to the 125 so I don't know how much demand there will be. It takes a solid 1/2 hour to change it compared to 2 minutes on the 125. Have to drain the radiator and lay it on its side so you don't drain the tranny fluid and it is easier replacing when you are working straight up and down versus horizontally. If you happen to tear the gasket you should replace it. yada yada yada. I like doing this stuff but for a lot of guys it may seem too involved.

Walt
  7. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Not really sure why you would want to change the power on the WR250. Seems nearly perfect for most stuff. Semi soft but quite lugable on the bottom and rips on the top. I have found pipes make a huge difference in power. The 2C rips, the PC mellows and the stock one is very good but prone to damage. Foe technical stuff a WR250 with a Rekluse is almost unstoppable.
  8. wallybean Mini-Sponsor

Kelly,

I agree completely. I hadn't even considered it until I got some requests to develop it. :) My WR 250 with the rekluse pro, 6 speed, and lhrb was as close to perfect as that bike can get. My nephew spent 10 minutes on it and had to have it. I will re-up on one as soon as they do some updating(less top heavy/new frame). When I told Myron that it was sold he said he was going to be sorry to see it go.

Walt
  9. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    I would love to see a new WR250. New motor and frame. I love how the new frame steers over the older generation and a new frame and motor would make it MUCH lighter. I will have one if they build it.
  10. wallybean Mini-Sponsor