1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

250-500cc 2010 WR300 Questions

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by hawaii-rider, Sep 4, 2011.

1. hawaii-rider Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2018 TC250, 2015 TE300
    Other Motorcycles:
    04 CRF-270x, 95 CR500, 93 CR250 etc
    did all the searches....
    did the google on the reviews....

questions to the Husky Experts out there!

Dealer has some 2010 left overs they are moving at a good price.

questions on the WR:
    1. any significant changes over the years form 2010 to present?
    2. Stock how are they set up suspension wise in terms of spring rates?
    3. are they set up more for tall folks or short (I had a Gas Gas 300 and was nice but was tight in the the riders compartment) Im 6'3"
    4. Known 'warts" that you have addressed?
    5. Reliable for you?

Washington state is allowing Dirt Bikes to be plated in Jan 2012 with the proper dual sport set up. No specifics IF this includes smokers so thats my biggest "question" right now

wanted to ask the experts here on their thoughts on the WR an if you had one and importantly, if you had unlimited funds (none of us do) would you honestly buy it again?

Thanx!!

HR
  2. firecrotch Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 wr300
    Other Motorcycles:
    2007 ktm 950SM
    I have an 09 in Washington and its been absolutely indestructable for last year. For the cheaper price I was able to get ltr suspension done and steering stablizer and still be cheaper than my buddies ktm 300. Look at the thread about street legal kit for the 300 too. For under $200 you will be able to get a street legal kit for it. Kind of a no brainer. Think of all the extra riding thats gonna open up for us. :-)If you can find a 300 new for under 5k I can tell you from experience it wont be there the next day you finally decide to pull the trigger. Jump on it
  3. BikeSDP Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None @ moment
    Other Motorcycles:
    990 Adv, Multistrada 1200, 500 EXC
    I have a plated '09 in Colorado with just under 60 hours. We don't need turn signals here, but I had everything else when it was inspected (i.e., reflectors, horn, DOT tires, mirrors).

I think the only changes from my 2009 to 2010 were the forks (Zokes to Kayaba), graphics and the exhaust. As far as reliability, I've only had one issue. It was with the transmission. I discovered it at 10 hours and the dealer handled it under warranty (it was determined to be an assembly issue). Not one hiccup since.

I'm one of the many who swapped the Mikuni for the Keihin carb, but others are happy with the Mikuni. I'm 6'1" / 200# sans gear and don't find it at all cramped. I've got some bar risers to help in standing. The stock shock spring was a 5.4 I believe. I went up to a 5.8, but have since dropped a lot of lbs and might go back to the 5.6. The Zokes are a little harsh initially, but I've no experience with the Kayaba. I plan to get the suspension serviced this winter.

As far as warts, it's just the usual stuff like making sure all the fasteners are tight and I even hear the KTM guys talk about that. The Huskys have nutserts that can be a problem, but that's easy enough to prevent with a little anti-seize.

I would buy the Husky again, but since it's not changed much, there's nothing that would entice me to buy a newer model. I also own a TE, so I have some brand familiarity.

I met a guy this weekend who was riding a brand new 2012 KTM 300 XC--brand new as he picked it up the night before. Poor guy hit a tree and somehow smashed his pipe and tore up the tank shroud. So, to be fair, if I was in the market for a 2-stroke, I'd look at the KTM too. The magic button would be worth consideration. I've never ridden the KTM 2-stroke, so I can't really compare them other than on paper. Others here have or have buddies on them.
  4. Lincolnlock Husqvarna
    AA Class

I purchased one of the WR300's that you are talking about. The new kayaba forks are super plush right out of the box. Way better than the Zokes that I had on my TC450. (at least right out of the box) I had to take the shifter linkage apart because they left the pivot bolt loose and I couldn't shift from 1st to 2nd without hitting neutral. I have 45 miles on the bike now. Also, I'm still tuning the carb some. It's really close to perfect, starts easy, and you can lug the crud out of it without the worry about stalling. The bike is awesome. I just need some armor, and maybe a steering stabilizer. They're a really good buy.
  5. windsurf Husqvarna
    AA Class

Living in Australia we dont get the benefit of cheap pricing to sway us. Even at the eyewatering prices ($9000) for my 2010 WR300 I wouldn't hesitate to recommend or buy another one. I have done about 1500 miles on it with no problems what so ever. I swapped the carb and fitted the race head. I am not fussed about electric start as it is rare that you really need it and friends that have the E start KTM's always seem to be having expensive problems with the starter motors. If you are 6'2" the seat height won't bother you. All in all I'm a very happy camper!
  6. MR54L Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR250
    Buy the bike and smile knowing you are on a good thing. Set up your suspension to your body weight. Remove all the polution s##t, and change the pipe. Rejet and set the float level. And you will be very happy
    I would buy another one tomorrow if I could

Regards