2011 CR 150 maiden voyage.

Discussion in 'Get togethers - Reports' started by krieg, Mar 5, 2011.

1. krieg Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Many in the past
    Other Motorcycles:
    '12 Triumph Scrambler
    For Sale: 2011 GasGas XC 300 perfect condition! [IMG]
    Well, OK, maybe not selling the GG yet. But, OMG... this little 150 is going to be FUN FUN FUN! [IMG]

This thing is so light. It feels like a BMX bicycle with a big Weed Eater motor attached! I ran two heat runs to break it in and then set out to get the jetting close. My dealer changed the jetting from stock but I found as the day went on that I was inching closer to stock.

My delivered jetting:
    • 450 main (460 is stock)
    • 45 pilot (35 is stock)
    • 4 slide
    • 80 starter
    • 1 1/2 out on air screw (1 1/4 is stock)
    • 6DEY15-74 3rd clip (6BFY43 3rd clip is stock)
    My end of day settings for 500 ft, 60 degrees C, overcast and threatening rain all day"
    • 450 main
    • 40 pilot
    • 4 slide
    • 80 starter
    • 2 out on air screw
    • 6DEY15-74 4rd clip
    I was still running 24:1 break-in gas so I didn't want to change too many things, but the new settings made the day more tolerable. I think I'll end up trying the 460 and maybe a 38 with the original needle as things seem fat off-idle and lean on the needle and pipe.

Handling: Holy crap. Sooooooo light. Soooooo tossable. After the 3rd ride I backed the fast and slow shock compression out 2 clicks and rebound back 1 click. I went out 3 clicks out on the fork compression and 2 on rebound. As the suspension breaks in, I may go back closer to stock.

This bike is so easy to throw around it's like an unfair advantage. It doesn't turn-in as "instinctively" as my GG, but it is infinitely more forgiving if you screw up and have to correct. A Motosportz damper will be my very next purchase as I'm convinced it will calm the front end down considerably from stock. Naturally, the suspension is a few rides from being 100% broken-in, but at high speeds, the damper will transform a "butt-puckering experience" into a stroll in the park. The CR is twitchy in straights at WOT... no doubt.

I couldn't stay off this bike today. When it was time to go home, I was trying to find an excuse to take another run through the woods. Usually, after 4 hours on my other bikes, I was ready to pack it in. Not today.

Stay tuned. I need to putz with the jetting some more and get the suspension dialed-in. For those of you who are waiting for me to compare the 150 to the GasGas... So far, I can tell you that they are two completely different tools. The 150 will be my choice for tight, gnarly stuff. The 300 will be my fire road, rail road bed, PA coal hill climbing monster. The 150 is a ball peen hammer, the 300 is a sledge hammer.
    Daniel508s likes this.
  2. demi Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    12 WR 300
    Other Motorcycles:
    '14 SH 500, 81 Gilera 125 C1, 17 KTM
    Good stuff Krieg.... sounds like I am going to like mine! Interested in the while jetting thing too.... I may try the RM needle like everyone talks about?... keep up the feedback, I will be contacting you more than likely.
  3. Norman Foley Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Trumansburg, NY... The Beautiful, Finger Lakes
    Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 250WR 86 250WR 93 WXE350 03 TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    '85 Fantic 300 '12 HUSABERG TE250
  4. krieg Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Many in the past
    Other Motorcycles:
    '12 Triumph Scrambler
    No problem demi. Looks like us 2011 CR 150 owners will be an "elite few" who need to stick together to get things dialed-in! :thumbsup:
  5. Daniel508s Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 TC510
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 Suzuki RMz450, 2013 KTM250sx
    A mountain bike with a 150cc engine! [IMG] Great review!
  6. ghte Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2 x 310's, 2016 Beta 480, SWM RS650
    Other Motorcycles:
    2016 Multi ,Griso1100, Monster695
    Happy days, we all love bush scalpels, particularly as the day wears on. Keep us posted of developments
  7. wallybean Mini-Sponsor

Krieg,

That is the problem with the kit needles. They just aren't rich enough in the mid/top. The RM needle will really help this. Don't be afraid to lean out the pilot a little with the rm needle too. My 167 was running great everywhere but on the very bottom with the 17-62 needle in the 4th slot, 480 main, and 35 pilot. It would pull like gain busters everywhere but didn't want to idle or start easily. I had the 80 starter jet in and maybe just changing it to the 50 would fix the idle. This was at 1000-1500 ft. The CR150 motor should be great every where. I finally got my hands on the new OEM 150 cylinder and power valves. I was able to do some spec'ing for the power valves. Stock they are definitely a little conservative on grind. Some large gains can be realized on the bottom to the mid with a little massaging. One problem is the valve to piston gap is also a bit large stock with some real large gaps at the edges that lead to a compromised seal. Send me a PM if you want some details on how to improve the seal and gain some pull.
  8. krieg Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Many in the past
    Other Motorcycles:
    '12 Triumph Scrambler
    Thanks Wally, I will definitely be contacting you. What are the ordering details for the RM needle? I'd like to give it a try.
  9. john01 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Sounds like a sweet bike Krieg and everybody needs more than one type of hammer. My 125 will soon gain a little more hit it's self.
  10. wallybean Mini-Sponsor

Krieg,

Is it Krieg or Kreig? Either way you should have some needles by the end of the week. John, yours is going to rip if just on a smaller scale as compared to the gasgas and tm.
  11. demi Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    12 WR 300
    Other Motorcycles:
    I got my 150 today and ordered all the carb parts... can't wait for the foot of snow to melt and ride ! Funny thing about the bike, it has a Pirelli front and a Michelin rear.. weird.
  12. krieg Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Many in the past
    Other Motorcycles:
    '12 Triumph Scrambler
    Dude, come to NC this weekend. We can ride in 70 degree weather and share jetting tips
  13. demi Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    12 WR 300
    Other Motorcycles:
    Heck yeah!! I just may take you up on that.. I get a week off at a time. I sure do like the light weight, man this bike is gonna rock. The other 150 at "my" dealer is technically available still..... so someone should buy it and join our exclusive club!!
  14. krieg Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Many in the past
    Other Motorcycles:
    '12 Triumph Scrambler
    WOW! Got her dialed-in today! She's sporting her new Motosportz rad guards and damper. MANY thanks to Wallybean for sending me some RM needles to try out! Wally... you're awesome! The 17 RM needle is amazing. I had to lean the pilot out after installing it, but that needle transformed an already great bike into a monster.

What can I say? This bike is 100%, off the wall, out of the park FUN! In my first post, I said this bike is like riding a BMX bicycle with a weedeater motor... Now it's like riding an ultra-light BMX bicycle a HUGE weedeater motor attached. You can almost feel the bike breaking-in during each ride. It keeps getting stronger and stronger with each ride. I've got about 4 hours on it now and I absolutely cannot wait for next weekend! I may take a day or two off work this week. I can't get enough of this little Focker!

The Motosportz damper made a HUGE difference on high speed stability! HUGE. Last week, I saw my life flash before my eyes at WOT on a 220 yard straight. With the damper set slightly off the soft setting, the same section at WOT felt tame.Thanks Kelly!

I'm stoked. Yes I am. [IMG][IMG][IMG]
  15. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Nice, thanks.