1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

250-500cc 2011 wr 300 thermostat

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by madfish, Dec 9, 2010.

1. madfish Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr 300
    how will the thermostat help bikes in warmer climates. That is the claim but it seems contradictory. i ride in the southeast and don't want anything to overheat. thats is why i was thinking of going back to 2 stroke over four stroke for the peace of mind in the overheating department.
  2. raisrx251 Husqvarna
    AA Class

The idea behind it is that when the thermostat is closed, the radiator has more time to cool the anti-freeze that is sitting in the radiators. Thermostats are good things on dirt bikes in my opinion. Fans are good things riding in the east as well.
  3. Johnnymannen Husqvarna
    AA Class

I thoght it was to get the bike warmer in cold weather! Wouldn´t the engine overheat if it keeps the water without circulation in the cylinder and cylinderhead?
  4. letitsnow Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    FC250
    Other Motorcycles:
    CBR600F4
    Me too???
  5. raisrx251 Husqvarna
    AA Class

I always thought it was for both. I do know in cars that they run cooler in the summer months with a thermostat.
  6. Johnnymannen Husqvarna
    AA Class

Yes, of course it must correct the temp under all conditions, but i can´t see the benefit of keeping hot water without circulation in the head and cylinder just to let it cool off in the rads. Wouldn´t that make the engine work under very different temps? Bad for pistonrings, less power?

Johnny
  7. racemx904 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 Beta 350RR & 1986 430XC
    Other Motorcycles:
    1975 Rokon and 2004 Kawasaki KX65
    i never liked them in the KTM's and not in Huskys either...its another part to screw up....you only need a thermostat for 5-10 minutes until your bike is warm unless you are riding in extreme conditions...personally I would loose it, just like we did on KTM's
  8. fran...k. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    420ae 98wr125 2004wr250 others
    Other Motorcycles:
    electric freeride 1993 yam gts
    I am not sure how the thermostat in a Husky wr 300 is set up. The one on my ktm exc 200, 2004 version is in line on one radiator and came with a plastic block off sheet to place in front of the non thermostat radiator if desired. It would seem one could put something in most any bike like this and no need to pick a particular model.

Ideally with a thermostat the engine will always be at a certain temperature or at least the coolant so the tolerances might be able to be made tighter.

The greater the thermal gradient the more heat is dissipated. everything else being equal.
  9. lankydoug Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    TM 300en
    The heat is exchanged more efficiently when the coolant is held in the rad a bit longer. The big benefit is that fuel mixture can be more accurate/ideal because the engine temp is always the same no matter the outside temp.
  10. Johnnymannen Husqvarna
    AA Class

Ok, so less circulation gives a cooler engine?
  11. Rob578 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Beta 300RR Beta 500RS TE 630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda 919 sold FJR1300 sold
    I think it would help, my 300 rarely gets above 200 even in the summer and the temp can vary 40 degrees or more which can't be good for jetting.

I've not seen any pictures, can the thermostat be retrofitted?
  12. lankydoug Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    TM 300en
    As Frank...k hit on it has to do with the difference between the already cooled coolant being a greater temp difference than what the engine temp is. When no thermostat is used the incoming coolant may only be a couple of degrees different than the engine itself which is not efficient. When the coolant is held in the radiator long enough for there to be a bigger difference (say 30 degrees) it is much more effective at dropping the engine temp. It's not less circulation that helps but a more efficient process of exchanging hot for cold coolant in the engine and then slowing the circulation long enough for the heat to exchange and then repeating the process.
  13. MXRider Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 Yamaha YZ250F
    I have never found a thermostat in my Husky? where if anywhere would it be in an 09 450?
  14. LawnDartMike Husqvarna
    AA Class

BillF has the new 300 in stock. I'll see if I can get a picture tomorrow. My riding is 80% at under 65 degrees and the long downhill trails really cool the bike off. I wonder if it would even help the WR150 stay up to normal operating temps?
  15. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    The function of these is simple. As the water heats up it makes the spring in the thermostat get weak and start to get soft, this allows the valve it is holding shut to be pushed open by the water pressure. So when the bike is cold it is closed, as it warms up it opens and allows the water to flow. It is meant to bring the bike up to temp quicker by disrupting flow until it is warm. I doubt it does anything once the bike is warm as I don't think while riding, regardless of the conditions it would ever get cool enough to close up again. It is to aid in quicker warm ups but I believe it does nothing once the bike is up to temp. IE it is not regulating flow dynamically and continually to keep the engine at a certain temp and your bike will overheat just as EZ with or without it.
  16. racemx904 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 Beta 350RR & 1986 430XC
    Other Motorcycles:
    1975 Rokon and 2004 Kawasaki KX65
    I agree completely
  17. boisedave Husqvarna
    AA Class

+1. What Kelly said...
  18. Johnnymannen Husqvarna
    AA Class

Ok, as i thought then. The engine runs warmer! My 300 runs very cold compared to a KTM 300. I have to block one rad even if it´s around 50F to get it uop in temp. On the ice i almost block both completely! And when i check with my Pyrometer i am between 60-70 Celsius.
  19. MXRider Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 Yamaha YZ250F
    ok, well after looking at where it is on other bikes, Im going to assume I dont have one, lol.
  20. lankydoug Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    TM 300en
    I guess I should have stated that my response was to thermostats in general as I'm not familiar with the specific set up that you are asking about. From Kelly's description it sounds kind of Mickey Mouse and I would probably remove it. That said if it was set up like an automotive thermostat that would regulate the coolant at a constant temp I think it would be a good thing for performance.