1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

250-500cc 2011 WR300 bomb proof mods

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by Haydos300, Dec 8, 2012.

1. Haydos300 Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 WR300, 2007 TE510, 2001 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    2005 YZ250F, 1985 RZ300
    Hi all!

I'm pretty much a new member just after some advice regarding bomb proofing a 2011 WR300.
    I still own 2001 WR250 that has done 6500km on the original piston and never missed a beat (except for grit in carby fowled 3 plugs in about an hour).

I have just bought a near new mint condition 2011 WR300 with only 130km. seriously it is brand new. I have now done 3 rides and after today its done 520km. I love the bike but have had a couple of little problem and just thought it would be worth asking the question on how to make the bike bomb proof?

I have already lost the side stand ($280), bent the left hand radiator inc losing the vent and smashing lower shroud (didn't crash and cant recall hitting anything just got back to the car and thought the bike looked different). Today I went though a moderate water crossing that only covered the crank case and the bike died in the middle. Once pushed out we noticed lots of water leaking out of the ignition cover. Unbolted cover and it was waterlogged, easy fix!

BTW cant complain, todays ride claimed a 2012 KTM EXC 450 with only 1500km on it, ouch$$$

What mods would you recommend to make the 300 a bullet proof trail/woods weapon? Im happy to hear even the most simple and usually overlooked mods/fixes

Cheers!
    BorisTas and ray_ray like this.
  2. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08\013 WR250, 010 TC250, 012 TC250
    First you got great selection in bikes and your pimkin reporting points to a bright future for you ...

Radiator guards are a must for me ... after that, everything else is just gravy .....
    steadydirt and Haydos300 like this.
  3. Haydos300 Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    2005 YZ250F, 1985 RZ300
    Thanks Ray_Ray, like wise with your bikes!
    I have some rad guards on order. But soo exited to get out there I couldn't wait. Defiantly should be first on any list of mods!
  4. Gotlabs Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    12 CR144 X 2!
    Skid, rad guards, suspension, bark busters and that shift star issue if it is still a problem.
  5. giantjoe Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 WR300
    Enduro Engineering Rad Guards, Hand Guards, and Skid Plate. I also got a P3 Pipe Guard, but I'm not sure if that was necessary.
    Haydos300 likes this.
  6. husky3002t Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr300
    hey haydos 300 i c your from Hobart....im from launceston and have a 2013 wr300 awesome bikes man! i also had a 09 300 before this one. i have b&b bash plate,force radiator guards, p3 pipe guard [has saved my pipe already from damage], ims 3.4 gallon tank [12.8 liters].ultra heavy duty tubes.i also am getting a magura hydraulic clutch for it too.
    i have rerouted all the carby breather hoses up under the tank except the float bowl overflow hose.this saves sucking water in from deep river crossings.they can also be routed into the airbox.
    Haydos300 likes this.
  7. Haydos300 Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    2005 YZ250F, 1985 RZ300
    Hey husky3002t, you live in great place for riding. I was up that way a while ago riding around the Beconsfield area, very nice! Two weeks ago I did a two day ride around the Pyengana area. The north of the state has endless places to ride. We have some hidden treasures down here that are kept quiet. I'm lucky enough to ride with some old school veterans who must have gps implants and are happy to show us new areas (don't mistake veterans for being slow, they can F#*ken ride).

The breather hose mod is on the list. Do they get re-routed into the air box or just in high place away from water?

Thanks for all the ideas keep em coming!
  8. husky3002t Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr300
    yeah i have heard there is some good riding down that way aswell,i also know that the older guys can still ride as we ride with a couple older blokes aswell.with the carb breathers anywhere high works,i have mine running up the frame under the tank,just cable tied them around the frame.
    how do you find your clutch? does it drag a bit?
    ianbronx likes this.
  9. Haydos300 Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    2005 YZ250F, 1985 RZ300
    Yeah it does drag a little but not enough to bother me. I'm still trying to find what oil works best. A Hydro clutch would be nice but could do a lot of other things with the money.
  10. robertk61 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09 WR250
    i have rerouted all the carby breather hoses up under the tank except the float bowl overflow hose.this saves sucking water in from deep river crossings.they can also be routed into the airbox.[/quote]

I did exactly the same to my 250 after it dies in a relatively shallow river crossing
  11. Haydos300 Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    2005 YZ250F, 1985 RZ300
    I'm going to do my crank case breather as well. Changed oil toady and it looked like a strawberry milkshake. I seriously didn't go through that much water and I only changed just before the ride.
  12. husky3002t Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr300
    I'm going to do my crank case breather as well. Changed oil toady and it looked like a strawberry milkshake. I seriously didn't go through that much water and I only changed just before the ride.
    yes forgot that mod.....mine is just running up the frame close to the rear spring.
  13. Haydos300 Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    2005 YZ250F, 1985 RZ300
  14. shawbagga Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Other Motorcycles:
    2018 Gasgas XC250
    hey husky3002t let us know when you get the hydro system how it works out re fitment & operation/ease of pull as opposed to cable. still thinking about one but some fellas have had fitment issues which put me off a little. cheers mate
  15. husky3002t Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr300
    yeah from what i can gather they need a bit of fiddling down at the clutch arm,i was told it is easily done.i have ordered a kit from firstclass motorcycles in victoria,they have done a few of them and told me what i need to do.the bloody things are on back order so not sure when it will get there.the bloke in there has had a few 300's and said the hydro clutch is the best mod he has done on them.
  16. shawbagga Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Other Motorcycles:
    2018 Gasgas XC250
    keep me posted on price & how much rootin around is required. lube'n & adjustin cables blows big time IMHO
  17. husky3002t Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr300
    the kit is 300 bucks will let you know how to do it once i get it.
  18. K5PL5 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 WR300
    Other Motorcycles:
    03 Suzuki SV1000/73 Honda CB350
    Has anyone sealed off the bottom of their stator cover and installed an elbow breather? I can post pics of anyone is interested in the mod. I used a small KTM breather elbow and some carb vent hose. Drilled a hole on the top of the stator cover and installed/siliconed in the elbow, then ran the hose up under my fuel tank and zip tied a piece of skidplate foam on the end of it for a filter. 12 hours on the motor since and it has worked great.
  19. K5PL5 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 WR300
    Other Motorcycles:
    I was lucky enough to get a Glenn Kearney WORKS pipe from Por Circuit. It's powedercoated black so it looks stock :)
    Sandgroper likes this.
  20. K5PL5 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 WR300
    Other Motorcycles:
    Has anyone installed a sidestand tether like KTM uses? Or like the one on the TE449s?