1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

125-200cc 2012 CR125 Ignition Timing

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by CelticDude, Jul 4, 2012.

1. CelticDude Historically Fast!

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    x
    After my WR ignition took a dump, I used the excuse to buy the CR ignition. I have done some searching on this site concerning ignition timing but all of the threads were about the older bikes. They mentioned some special tool that I might need but no part number. I would sure like to get a factory service manual but I have no idea where to get one. Most other bikes I would just put in the dial indicator and crank it clockwise to the specified amount of advance and then line up the timing marks.
  2. wallybean Mini-Sponsor

Doug,

Any of the earlier year CR's that have a parts book available will list the positioning tool. It is just like you said and you attach it to your crank, insert your dial indicator and either measure the advance to mark on the indicator or mark at TDC and then advance the tool 4 degrees for your alignment timing mark. Pretty simple. I have the tool but have put it someplace safe and thus I couldn't find it. :excuseme: Hall's has the online parts book for any of the post 2000 CR's and they all use the same ignition and positioning tool. Part #8000 79831 and shop manual #8000 H1555 this is on CD.
  3. CelticDude Historically Fast!

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    x
    Thanks, Walt! :cheers: Happy Fourth of July!
  4. CelticDude Historically Fast!

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    x
    I finally got the ignition tool and dial indicator and set the timing today. It fired up on the third kick and ran OK for a while and then started popping and then wheezed and died. Put a new plug in and it ran great! I plan to break it in this weekend and let you know how my WR works with the CR ignition.
    454x likes this.
  5. CelticDude Historically Fast!

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    x
    Finally rode the CR/WR-144 today. The first thing I thought was wrong was that it felt like the clutch was slipping! I would turn the throttle and the revs would go up faster than the bike was moving forward. But it turned out to be the rear tire was just spinning! It was hard packed clay without a lot of traction. The bike ran perfectly and even in tight single track it worked great. I'm running 13 - 50 gearing which gave excellent gear spacing. What I really liked was the much quicker throttle response. Now I'm ready for the powervalve to open more quickly. :D
  6. DaveG321 Husqvarna
    A Class

How much was the CR ignition?
  7. CelticDude Historically Fast!

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    x
    About $600. :eek:
  8. wallybean Mini-Sponsor

I think there is a complete CR ignition off an 01 on Ebay. They have the price way out of whack for 11 year old used electrical parts but send them a message that when you are done screwing around with the exorbitant price, I will offer you a fair price. Timing is unchanged to current CR model so it is just a matter of mounting it up sano.
  9. motarded Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2001 cr/sms 125/144
    Other Motorcycles:
    96 gas gas 250
    i have a complete cr ignition, unfortunatley i just cut the wires from the stator to the ignition module that i planned on envirosplicing it together, but it worked perfect when i took it off,i removed it off my 01 a couple months ago i replaced it with a wr so i could run lights and use it on the street if you are interested message me
  10. CelticDude Historically Fast!

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    x
    Hey Walt! Now that I have the CR ignition, what do you recommend for a power valve spring or combination? Right now I am running the stock spring with the silver one but it feels a bit late in coming on now. I'm looking for fast throttle response.
  11. wallybean Mini-Sponsor

Doug,

Try going to the stock and blue spring and if you still want it hitting faster try working with the white and the different inner springs. I expect you to need to richen up the needle a little with the white spring. I don't have a lot of faith in the 144 liking a softer spring than stock but it is worth a try. I have a 165 that you would kill for. All it needed was the right pipe to make it scream and still pull far better than the 144 everywhere else too. It is too much for me as it needs to be pointed in the right direction with some traction when the pv's open. Really an adrenalin rush.
    MotoXotica likes this.
  12. CelticDude Historically Fast!

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    x
    Thanks Walt! :cheers:
  13. CelticDude Historically Fast!

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    x
    I ended up going back to the stock spring, mainly because I couldn't find my bag of Wally Springs. Holy Crap! I had so much fun today! The WR/CR150 was awesome! Husky definitely needs to come out with this model. The CR ignition takes all the sluggishness out of the WR and makes it rip! Anytime you crank the throttle full on, the rear end is spinning and the front end is in the air but you can also run any tight rocky trail. I could even kick it up a gear and lug the motor down on a long uphill. I am stoked!!! :banana: