1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

125-200cc 2012 cr125 on the way! (or wr125?)

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by huskybear, Feb 29, 2012.

1. huskybear Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 wr144 with lectron carb, stuff!
    Hello everyone, I should be getting my new bike in 10 days! I did some more inquiring about getting a 2012 wr125 here in canada as I was told by my dealer that they would not be available this year here due to low sales last year. Apparently I can get a wr if I want and was really considering it after reading the test in february's dirt bike magazine. I wonder if they got one to test that was tuned properly first or it was right out of the box:thinking:! I have read posts on this forum from owners of 2012 wr125's that were not very happy with them stock and after some work they seemed ok, I am pretty sure that I will go with the cr unless there is more positive feed-back about the stock wr. I would prefer the larger fuel tank and 18" rear wheel of the wr but I think I like the power characteristics of the cr! I wish I could buy both:rolleyes:! As I stated in my other thread more thoughts and opinions are welcome and I am making a definite decision on which model this weekend! Thanks everyone:)!
  2. Norman Foley Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Trumansburg, NY... The Beautiful, Finger Lakes
    Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 250WR 86 250WR 93 WXE350 03 TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    '85 Fantic 300 '12 HUSABERG TE250
    I would think that DB Mag had the Press bike that was at the media intro last year. Dirtdame rode that bike and it was dialed, as compared to Celtic Dude's tale of woe setting up his '12 WR125. If Husky NA can set the bike up that well, then that tech info should be availible to every dealer, so every WR125 can run to its full potential. Hard to argue against the CR, as it runs better out of th box.
  3. ajaxauto Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Get a CR then a IMS Tank and as for the 18 inch wheel the 19 is lighter willl spin faster and in 3 years of desert racing I have not got a flat
  4. krieg Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Many in the past
    Other Motorcycles:
    '12 Triumph Scrambler
    I'd avoid the IMS tank like the plague! If you get the CR, just order the OEM WR tank and avoid having to grind, beat, bend, heat and bash the IMS tank into a blob that will "almost" fit (badly). The OEM tank is cheaper than the IMS too.
  5. rockdancer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 WR125, 2019 FE350
    It sounds like a lot of the issues with the wrs have been fixed with the RM needle but I still thonk the CR makes better power. However if you ride in slow tricky conditions and trail ride possibly the WR is better suited
    Either way you can modify to suit your own needs
  6. krieg Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Many in the past
    Other Motorcycles:
    '12 Triumph Scrambler
    I'm pretty much convinced you can make a CR do 90% of everything a WR can do. Getting a CR to perform like a WR is almost impossible... Well... maybe if you hung a boat anchor off the subframe! :D All of my (3) CR 125/150's ran right, out of the box, with minor carb tweaks to the stock Mikuni. The fact that the CR's run right... without tinkering, experimentation, mods, and lots of time... well... that speaks for itself. If you need a headlight and don't like the instant power of an MX 125/150... and you love to spend time and money futzing with carbs and power valves, the WR is the machine for you!
  7. huskybear Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Looks like I will go for the cr after all! I went through the hassle and disappointment of having a new bike that didn't run right out of the crate when I bought my husaberg. It was horrible! It would barely run and ran very hot,back-fire,low power,e.t.c. good thing I know how to jet a bike, I can imagine what it would be like for someone who is unfamiliar with these things:banghead:! Manufacturers should really sort out these things and work with dealers to get bikes set up properly when riders spend their hard-earned money! I will keep you in mind Camstyn about the rear wheel trade. Thanks again everyone for the input and I will keep you all up-dated on everything!:thumbsup:
  8. john01 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Congrats they are sweet bikes.
  9. Blakelpd5 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09 WRWB165
    Other Motorcycles:
    08 CRF450R, 1980 Suzuki Wetbike
    Want to trade for my 19" with about 30-40 hours on it, more than a few tire changes, and some nicks and scrapes?? It's probably true though!!! :D

I got a brand new IMS a couple months ago. That sucker slid right into place, with no issues what-so-ever....

If you know how to Jet a bike, then the WR wouldn't be a problem!
  10. huskybear Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 cr is a different frame than 2009 I believe and ims does not list a tank for 2012 models.
  11. jwdirt Husqvarna
    AA Class

Wouldn't depend a little on where you are going to ride? Wouldn't the cr have stiffer mx suspension vs the wr?
  12. huskybear Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    I believe the cr125 and wr125 both have factory suspension settings for lighter, younger riders. I am 205lbs. I think the cr suspension will work fine for me even though I ride mostly tight-technical single-track with the odd high-speed section to cool off!:).
  13. krieg Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Many in the past
    Other Motorcycles:
    '12 Triumph Scrambler
    The CR suspension should be fine for a heavier woods rider.
  14. Norman Foley Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Trumansburg, NY... The Beautiful, Finger Lakes
    Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 250WR 86 250WR 93 WXE350 03 TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    '85 Fantic 300 '12 HUSABERG TE250
    WR would be too.... Identical spring rates and valving.
    jmetteer likes this.
  15. huskybear Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Ordered the cr today! should be getting it this week. I am also getting a 52 tooth rear sprocket and will be replacing the chain with a quality "o" ring. I will try the stock gearing(13-50) and see if it works in the trails but I think 13-52 will be better for the tight stuff. Any thoughts on this?:thinking: Thanks everyone!
  16. Blakelpd5 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09 WRWB165
    Other Motorcycles:
    08 CRF450R, 1980 Suzuki Wetbike
    Nice! Congrats on the new purchase!!!
  17. krieg Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Many in the past
    Other Motorcycles:
    '12 Triumph Scrambler
    I'm running a 12/52 combo... the ultimate small bore "tractor" gearing. I love it in the tight stuff. Also, the chain guide on the CR's is narrow. When you put an o-ring chain on the bike, it will drag significantly. You can either buy an aftermarket guide... or be cheap like me and just ride until the chain digs a new rut into the stock chain guide. It takes about 3 or 4 good rides to get the guide "worn-in".

Congrats bro! :thumbsup:
  18. wallybean Mini-Sponsor

Lets see tractor gearing on the 165 would be 14/52. :lol: Sorry Kreig, I couldn't resist.

Congrats on the new bike you are going to love the Husky tiddler!
  19. jmetteer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TXC300 CR125 CR144
    Other Motorcycles:
    WR250F, TRANSALP
    13-52 works well for me in the tight stuff.

Here is a sample from my CR125, not a 144. :D This is one of those climbs that leaves 4 strokes boiling.

[IMG]

Later,
    lankydoug likes this.
  20. john01 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Comgrats and if you haven't ridden one you are in for a treat; enjoy.