1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

250-500cc 2012 WR250 / WR300 comparison

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by Scootskipper, Apr 22, 2012.

1. Scootskipper Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 TE310
    Other Motorcycles:
    2018 Kawasaki Z900RS, 1971 Bultaco
    I'm contemplating the purchase of a new dirt bike and I'm curious as to the differences in these two bikes. I'm getting to ride a friend's Gasgas 300, which I love but I'm wondering how much difference in torque there is between the two. I will be riding mostly tight eastern woods and I'm learning that I love being able to ride short-shifted and have the low-end torque to get off of turns and up hills. I've never ridden a 250 so I don't have a basis for comparison.
  2. dartyppyt Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    17 TE 150, 82CR 500
    Other Motorcycles:
    82 125,250,430&500 79 390 83 250
    I really like the 250. It is in the older frame but if the suspension is done correct, it carves like your old bike and doesn't feel heavy. Be glad to help you with carb settings and some low cost mods that work great. These things are bullet proof and there are great leftover deals out there.
    Scootskipper likes this.
  3. Scootskipper Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 TE310
    Other Motorcycles:
    That is encouraging. I hope that it has nice torque and pulls well off of the bottom. I'm realizing what a huge help that is in tight riding.
  4. dartyppyt Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    17 TE 150, 82CR 500
    Other Motorcycles:
    You will not have any issues with torque and even the 300 has more.
    Scootskipper likes this.
  5. PowerKord Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2008 WR 250 Sold
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 Sherco SE-R 250
    Boosting the bikes compression helps to squeeze more torque out of the motor. These bikes are good in the woods, they turn really well.
    Scootskipper likes this.
  6. john01 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

David I think a 250 would have more than enough torque to ride a gear high and pull you through the woods. Hey you are welcome to come by and ride my son's 2011 TM 250. It's not a Husky and it's more MX than woods but it may give you some idea of a 250 2-stroke. My WB165 will have the correct 200 exhaust on it wed. so you can check it out also. I think I'm gonna cheat and order me a Rekluse EXP for it tomorrow!
    Scootskipper likes this.
  7. Scootskipper Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 TE310
    Other Motorcycles:
    John, are you going to be around Saturday? I don't get off work until 2:00 but that's probably the first opportunity that I'll have to get out your way.
  8. john01 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

I can be here just give me a shout anytime.
  9. motocrossmr Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '15 TE300
    Other Motorcycles:
    '05 PW80, '12 KX 65
    John,
    Just an FYI. I ordered the EXP the day after it came out and it just shipped yesterday (about 5 weeks). They were back ordered but hopefully they have them in stock now so I would get your order in ASAP. I should have it just in time for this weekends race along with Walts new FMF pipe. I cant wait to try the combo in the mountains of West Virginia and give a race report! I have the flu now but hopefully will be 100% come race day. Sorry to jack the thread!
  10. Gotlabs Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    12 CR144 X 2!
    The Husky feels better to me than the GG300. Maybe because I am tall, but the GG felt very cramped and I didn't like the power delivery either. It didn't feel as luggable as the Husky. I know the GG was set up correctly because the dude that owned it is meticulous about everything on his bike. The GG did handle very well though. Personally, I would get the 300 over the 250 just because.....I've never ridden a WR250, but I could never switch to one after riding my 300.
    Scootskipper likes this.
  11. john01 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Thanks for the heads up motocrossmr I'll start asking around in the morning. Gotlabs David is short like me 5' 7" - 5' -9" or so. The GG will fit him better and his friend has two for him to test. I think he's ridden my 10 as well; all of them 300's. After riding with David I think he want's enough bike without having too much bike if you know what mean. I also wonder just how much lug- ability a 250 woods bike has. My son's Tm 250 MX can be worn as a pretty blue hat if you grab to much throttle in the mid range. I hope he gets a Husky 250 or 300 I've been wanting to try one and had it not been for a unnamed dealer I would have had one myself.
    Scootskipper likes this.
  12. Gotlabs Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    12 CR144 X 2!
    The dude that owns the GG I rode is short also (5'7"ish) and he loves it. Those TM's are great bikes also, and would be high on my list if I didn't need 2-3 of them. Of the 250's, I've heard the Husky is the most luggable.
    Scootskipper likes this.
  13. john01 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

David had his WR125 lowered and he can do the same with the WR250/300. Whats funny is I sold my 2010 GG300 to a friend that's 6'- 5 1/2! He came over to buy my 2010 TC250 and fell in love with the GG 300's smooth power and just had to have it. Kicker is he said he hates 2-strokes and wouldn't even ride it at first.
    Scootskipper likes this.
  14. lankydoug Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    TM 300en
    Which ever one you choose 250 or 300 Husky you can always buy the other top end and switch it back and forth when ever you want. I bought the 250 and have never felt I needed more power but if I ever do I'll just switch it to a 300 when it needs the top end done.
    Scootskipper likes this.
  15. haulin husky7 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    13 txc310, 2000 wr360
    Other Motorcycles:
    2016 TM 300en, 93 KLX650R, 1975 XR75
    never been on a 300, only difference i think is that on the 300 you can ride it easier than the 250. btw love my 250.
    Scootskipper likes this.
  16. Xcuvator Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE450,610 WB165,WR250 WR360 & XC430
    Other Motorcycles:
    yes
    When I got my 250 I thought I might take it out to 300 somtime when it needs a top end. I've been into the top now three times and it is still a 250.
    Scootskipper likes this.
  17. Scootskipper Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 TE310
    Other Motorcycles:
    Thank you guys so much for the responses. I've been exchanging emails with my suspension guy and he was pointing out that Husky is supposed to be coming out with a new model. I told him that new model to me sounds like teething problems for a while anyway. I gather that the current WR250 / 300 is an older, tried and true design. I like that. I suspect that I would love one of these. I need to see what I can afford in the near future and this may well be the way to go.
    lankydoug likes this.
  18. R_Little Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Same bike really......buy the one with the best price.

250 is usually cheaper if it is a leftover.
    Scootskipper likes this.
  19. lankydoug Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    TM 300en
    +1 I bought my 09 left over at the end of 2010 for $4,900. That left me with some cash for mods
    Scootskipper and marcmo0 like this.
  20. dartyppyt Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    17 TE 150, 82CR 500
    Other Motorcycles:
    Me, try and get one with the KYB suspension.
    Scootskipper likes this.