1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

250-500cc 2012 WR300 opinions? Converting from TE510 maybe...

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by Neesmo31, Jul 17, 2012.

1. Neesmo31 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 WR300, 2010 TE510
    Other Motorcycles:
    Did have - XC125, KDX200, XR250
    Hey all, just been riding a little bit more, and while i LOVE my 2010 TE510 i am starting to look at the smaller 310 or go with something like the WR300 purely for weight issues.

I do alot of 'everything' riding, road, trail, tight single, open sweeping, mx track, enduro... (not the best in any of these departments though lol) i just love to ride. But i am finding the weight of the 510 to burden myself sometimes and are thinking about reverting back to the dingers.

I have previously owned a KDX200 that was pretty worked and loved that bike.

I mainly want to use the bike for fun trail riding and being able to give it a good hiding on some more open faster sections. Would also like to start training for local enduros this year, and also start practicing more difficult tracks.

Can people please list their opinions of these bikes, good OR bad, to help me make a more informed decision.

Thank you.
  2. windsurf Husqvarna
    AA Class

I have a 2010 300 which is fantastic for where I mainly ride which is tight technical with a bit of enduro thrown in. Unless you want to change the gearing everytime you go for a ride it isnt good on the road or for open trails. I did a beach ride recently with the std gearing which was as exciting as watching a potato baking! In my opinion they are superb at what they are designed for but not for dual sport.
    Obviously you are right that there will be a big weight saving, but unless you get a 6 speed gearbox fitted you will be changing sprockets regularly.
  3. Dirtdame Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11 WR300,13 WR125,18 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    17 Beta Xtrainer
    I'm too pooped out from giving my opinion of this bike over and over.:lol: Let's just say that I rode one, and couldn't stop thinking about getting one, till I got one.:love:
  4. Neesmo31 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 WR300, 2010 TE510
    Other Motorcycles:
    Hmmm.... maybe the 310 is the better option? i really want to own the 300, love 2 strokes. Seems like it might make for more work for the style of riding that i do? Then again, i am building a bike trailer so it may be alot easier to tow them around so travel is not that much of an issue?

Keep the opinions coming in please. Thanks windsurf and dirtdame.
  5. Eaglefreek Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11 WR300
    :lol: That's the first time I've heard that expression, I'm going to have to find a reason to use that.
  6. panhandlebars Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '11 wr 300
    Other Motorcycles:
    ktm200sold!klx125&drz 70 kids
    i have had the xr's, kdx 200,ktm 200,ktm 300s'...and have a keeper in the 2011 wr300, forgiving,torque power that can rip up top..love it..i did the kehien carb upgrade and piped it ...armored it for trail abuse...it is short legged for extended high speed fire road/desert stuff unless geared for that....but i dont ride that stuff anyway...what i like the most is that its a tall bike with ergos that favor a taller rider...and chug up hills like a lazy goat! the ride is easy... the tougher nasty slick roots,rocks,technical riding the better you ride... yeah....its heavier then the ktm 200...but more stable! you sure dont feel it hopping logs! the details are great! the bad: stock tires and carb, my dealer was clueless-no manuals?.....radiator guards are a must have the 7602's are perfect...forks are mushy for big moto and pack up..i set up mine for the technical woods riding...and found manuals here on cafe husky.....love the wr 300
    ray_ray likes this.
  7. jaxsplatt Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '10 WR300, 2000 TE410
    2000 te410 for last 5 years and recently( 3 months ) bought 2010 wr300, Love the bike!!! We ride open forestry, tight single track and yes I even ride it 20ks to work and back every now and then on highway and through town. I ride it at 80 klm an hour on the highway and thats just on the pipe so not too high revving, I have had it upto 120 but not for long. Forestry: thats where this thing is pure unadulterated fun, Light, nimble, lugs uphill better than my TE and stretches my arms when I get to twist the throttle..
  8. Neesmo31 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 WR300, 2010 TE510
    Other Motorcycles:
    Excellent Jax, sound identical to the type of riding that i do now. If your ever up rockhampton way you should give us a yell.

Starting to sound promising about the riding that i will be doing.

What sprockets are you running jax?

Also thanks panhandlebars - good strong points there.
  9. jaxsplatt Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '10 WR300, 2000 TE410
    Ah Rocky rockmuncher..I Lived at Gracemere for about a year.. Same Neesmo, if ur down in widebay area give let me know and I'll show ya some local loops..
    Standard gearing 13:48 but about to order 14 tooth front for a bit more top speed. Just got out of the shed putting on new Force radiator guards as I have slightly crushed on set of fins on right hand side, pulled it back into shape as I done up the bolts which was a bonus.
  10. Neesmo31 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 WR300, 2010 TE510
    Other Motorcycles:
    Will do! Standard gearing will net you only just over 100 i have been told? If this happens, i cannot wait!!!
  11. bax3 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE250R
    Other Motorcycles:
    wr300 2010
    I love my wr300, used mainly in local forestry.
    I run the 14 on the front for a while gave about 10klms extra up top (130ish). But didnt like what it did to first when i was in the tighter stuff, had to ride clutch to much. So i went back to the 13 on the front and put a 47 on the rear and its perfect for what i do.
    Its a great bike in the trails not good at all on the road, i always trailer mine so it doesnt bother me.
    I really really wish it had a sixth gear that my only issue with this awesome piece of machinery. I love it :love:
    ray_ray likes this.
  12. Neesmo31 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 WR300, 2010 TE510
    Other Motorcycles:
    I know its going to be a pain on the road, but do many people actually use them for a bit of road use??? in between tracks or getting to tracks? or lashing it around town and making a bit of noise on a nice sunny weekend?
  13. Xcuvator Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE450,610 WB165,WR250 WR360 & XC430
    Other Motorcycles:
    yes
    Good on you DD and I kinda got that impression. But you know and you probably won't believe this, but you would like it twice as much with a six speed.... Being down there in the wide open spaces and all.
  14. Dirtdame Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    17 Beta Xtrainer
    I don't ride too much "wide open spaces" down here. That being said, it seems about as fast on top as my 2005 KTM 6 speed 250 was, and it gets there a whole lot quicker!:eek::D
    ray_ray likes this.
  15. Xcuvator Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE450,610 WB165,WR250 WR360 & XC430
    Other Motorcycles:
    yes
    Well like I said, you probably won't believe me...:D
  16. shawbagga Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Other Motorcycles:
    2018 Gasgas XC250
    310 & 300 both good bikes but you cant go past premix! 300 little bit cheaper, lighter, better, way easier maintenance & good for tighter technical riding. smells/sounds better than the postie bike soundin 310! :) 14/48 bit more top speed which i dont mind as handy for transport sections, can sit in 3rd nearly all day long & just torque it! just buy 1 youll love that power & opposed to 510 be like riding a mtn bike!
    ray_ray likes this.
  17. kris merrill Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 Wr 300 - 1999 Wr 360
    I had the same question. Had a 2008 tc 510 and wanted a better single tracker. I made the jump and have not looked back. I am faster on it in the single track than the 510. I am way and I mean WAY, less tired after the same trails that I struggled on before.
    I did 5 miles of Hell in Moab on the 300 with the same guys I ride with all the time. I was always picking up the rear of the pack before. Complete opposite. I made it over most (not all) the gnarly parts with out help, and I had to help everyone else in the area's I flew up. Complete change in how much easier it is to ride.
    I would say do it. If you need to transport alot, look into the 6 speed swap. Or find a 360 and shove into it. Ill let you know how that is after I pick up mine:)
    ray_ray likes this.
  18. Neesmo31 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 WR300, 2010 TE510
    Other Motorcycles:
    Looking promising. I just hope i dont regret making such a different swap from the endless torque and power of the 510 over to the 300....
  19. Dirtdame Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    17 Beta Xtrainer
    You might be surprised at the amount of torque the 300 has.:thumbsup:
  20. shawbagga Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Other Motorcycles:
    2018 Gasgas XC250
    definite +1 on dirtdames post. they got bulk torque dont worry. aint no yz250!!!