1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

125-200cc 2013 125CR/WR

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by endurokids, Sep 23, 2012.

1. endurokids Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    250WRX, CR167, 83 430WR, TE449
    Other Motorcycles:
    75 Guzzi 850T
    Here's my quandry...
    I'm thinking about replacing my son's 07 WR 125 with a new unit.
    We have the 144 kit in it and he rides "A" Class Hare Scrambles, and is thinking about to trying "AA" Class.
    He uses all of the motor and revs with the 144, but I am considering the 165 kit for him.
    What will the 165 do for him versus the 144 kit?
    Will he lose top end speed or just gain torque?
    I ride a Maxx Power CR165 which is bored and stroked but am curious about the top end kit from Hall's with the 200 pipe. Maxx Power 165 is $1600, top end kit 165 is $800 ish with the 200 pipe.
    I don't want to sacrifice the power that he is used to with the 144, but if the 165 is as fast only more power, that may be the way to go.
    What are the differences in the chassis? Both CR and WR.
    Thanks again guys!
  2. john01 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

I have the 08 CR WB165 and it has more power everywhere over what it was with a 144 high compression set up. I think ajaxauto (CH member) could answer your questions on the power better than me as I don't race but my WB165's power and tq is better everwhere. A few like a different pipe for the high speed stuff over the KTM 200 Fatty but I love the combo. On the chassis, I'm an odd ball I guess as I like the 08 better than the 09 but I haven't tried the 10-13's with the KYB's. Your son being fast and young would probably like the WB165 on a CR with the PC pipe or other top end pipe; at least that would be my guess.
  3. Blakelpd5 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09 WRWB165
    Other Motorcycles:
    08 CRF450R, 1980 Suzuki Wetbike
    I have the 165 with the modded 200 pc pipe. It definetly has more over-rev than the 165 with the modded fmf pipe, but not nearly as much as my stock 125 (no experience with a 144 in the woods). I hear the 165 with the Doma might be the ticket for all the over-rev you can handle. Again, That is all second hand hear-say, but Walt and Kelly may be able to answer this better.

I think the gnarlier the course, the more the 165 will shine. It will pull him out of hairy situations with much less effort...

Good to hear there is a young buck out there on a small bore 2 stroke tearing it up in the A class.... :thumbsup:
  4. endurokids Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    250WRX, CR167, 83 430WR, TE449
    Other Motorcycles:
    75 Guzzi 850T
    Thanks for the replies guys! I actually have 2 son's on 144's giving the big bikes fits in the "A" Class, up here in WI.
    That said, my oldest is usually in the top 6 or 7 overall and has always had a goal of being one of the top "AA" riders in the Midwest. He works for it.
    My youngest (on the other hand) stays within sight of his brother while enjoying pulling wheelies and just plain messing around while racing. A true free rider.
    I love watching those two go!
    I'm going to do more homework before buying, and will let you know which way we go.
    Thanks again!
  5. eldridge 216 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09 wr 300, 09 txc450, 08txc 450
    Other Motorcycles:
    Suzuki dr 650, Triumph Daytona 675
    out of curiosity, if your worried about power and looking into a new bike why wouldnt you want to put them on a 250 or 300? im not bashing the small bore bikes, i actually really enjoy riding them. but from my experience racing in A, and AA classes in harescramnles and enduros i did much better on the 250's and 300's simply because i didnt have to ride them as hard to get the performance i needed
  6. R-J van Hulst Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR 125 + 40 = WB 165 and a SM165
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda CB 400 Vtec 3
    I have a WB 165 with the FMF pipe and it does add everywhere in a stealthy way so no peaking surprises in the delivery curve but simply more everywhere.

it doesn't rev as high as the 125 but miss witching one gear will not make you imitate a submarine that dives down, it just plow through.

You might have a look for a HGS pipe as in general these pipes ad over the whole range and not giving in on the over revving.

a warning: they are not the cheapest available.

Robert-Jan
  7. wallybean Mini-Sponsor

I can't speak for the OP, but I think the idea is to keep everything that is so good about the 125/144 but add enough power to compete successfully at the AA level. I think the 165 is certainly a viable option in this regard no matter who makes it or how you achieve the extra dimension. The small amount you might give up in actual hooked up power, you more than make up in ease of riding long and hard.
    john01 likes this.
  8. justplayin Husqvarna
    AA Class

My experience is the opposite, what I gave up in power from the 250 I gained in finess, flickableness, lightness, and less fatigue over the entire course.
    The 125/144 was just much easier on my body after a day of a hard race. When many folks, including myself, were tired out coming into the last legs of the race with a larger bore bike, on my 125 I was still attacking and up on the pegs till the final flag.......but that's just me.
  9. R_Little Husqvarna
    Pro Class

It's not just you......the 125 takes waaaay less energy to ride and as a BSSR rider thats why I like them. Most old guys like the 165s too.

I do have to say if you are an AA rider and you can spank a 250 all day the big bike is better only because it can accelerate faster. I can't even ring out my 135 all day so I can't use the big bike power except in the sand.

The question is how big and strong are these young riders? Putting them on bikes that are too big for them will not help.

BTW, my FBF CR135 screams and if you are under 160# it don't give up much in a straight drag.