2014 TXC 310r Issue's??

Discussion in 'EFI/carb' started by Jeremy Williams, Jan 31, 2014.

1. Jeremy Williams Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 txc 310r
    Other Motorcycles:
    Kx 250f
    Hello,

I am new to Cafe Husky. My last 2 bike's have been kx 250f. I was looking to buy a new bike more geared towards trail riding. Of course, I have been looking at all the orange one's. I then came across an unbelievable deal on a new 2014 txc 310r, but I have been on here reading of some of the issue's that the past model years have had. I figure that they probably got most of these issue's fixed on the 2014 models. I guess I was just wondering if any one has ran into or heard of any problems with the 2014 models. I am a little nervous, as to the reliability of these bikes. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Jeremy
  2. richard kersten Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 te 310
    Other Motorcycles:
    klx 250s vulcan 900 yamaha stryker
    If you properly maintain ur bike it will be awesome as I am sure you know , had the kx 250 and like my husky 100% better , good luck.
  3. Jon Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    14 TXC 310R
    Im picking one up on Friday from halls... from what I've heard/read they seem pretty solid
  4. Tinken Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    MY12 WR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha
    Pretty tough little engines that love thin oil. Valves need replacing due to Husky putting in light weight ones that stretch, but we are working on a painless solution to that.
  5. Jon Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    14 TXC 310R
    What oil do you recommend? And what valves are you putting in them?
  6. Tinken Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    MY12 WR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha
    We use Mobil1 0w40 and we use stainless steel oil filters to increase flow. We have a valve kit that we add to the 310R heads. The new stronger stainless steel valves are $320. We also have improved clutch and crankshaft kits which bullet proof these models.
  7. dfeckel Husqvarna
    AA Class

I have some interest in the stainless steel valve setup. Is it strictly the valves, or are we talking new guides as well? How about the seats? I haven't ridden my new '14 more than just around the yard at this point (less than half an hour time). Will the SS valves mate up fine with my OEM seats?

The reason I ask is I have a valve spring compressor tool, and removing and reinstalling valves is within my capability. Not replacing guides and seats, however.

In response to the OP, I too have been concerned with the reliablity of the X-light motors. I do think, however, with good setup and maintenance, they should prove to be reliable enough. I do think the e-starter is not up to snuff, however. I plan to use the kicker for the first start of every ride, and any time it requires cranking more than 2-3 seconds. I adjusted the exhaust valve with the compression release mechanism to .005" (tighter than the OEM spec) to ensure the CR operates consistently. So far, starting has been excellent. Four kicks from cold in 30-degree weather, three today in 50 degrees.
  8. Mike-AK Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 TE 310

For a running '12 310 engine in excellent shape, what is the cost for the entire ZipTy package? I want my engine to last forever.
  9. Tinken Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    MY12 WR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha
    The seats are good. The intake valves are the main issue, but I feel the exhaust valves are an issue too. We can use your stock springs, but they will float at higher rpm. I will have to get a price on those. You can do them yourself, sure. Many of our customers ask for head porting which boosts low end torque on these engines giving them more of a 400 cc feel. The valves are $80 each I believe, I will ask about the springs.
  10. joedirt Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr250
    I thought I read on here Husky used Del West valves. Can you actually get better valves then Del West?
    DG Harv Serv likes this.
  11. Tinken Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    MY12 WR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha
    Apparently the Del West valves they used were of poor quality.
  12. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    In my experience most causal trail riders will experience long life from these engines but those who ride fast and hard or moto and bump off the rev limiter will most likely have some issues to address. Like the CRF250 the life of the motor and valve train has a lot to do with how you ride.
    Connor and Coffee like this.
  13. joedirt Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr250
    that would be the case with any engine when you run it hard.
  14. Jeremy Williams Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 txc 310r
    Other Motorcycles:
    Kx 250f
    Hey guys,
    I appreciate all the reply,s. I decided to go ahead and buy the 2014. Both my buddy and myself are going to buy one, much to the dislike of our ktm buddies. I'm super excited. We are both about 30 years old, high b riders. I think it will be a good bike. I'll keep you updated with our experiences. We live in Pa and ride a lot of single track up in minersville and st. Claire. Hit me up if you ride anywhere close.

Thanks for the feed back.
    pa-aaronq likes this.
  15. pa-aaronq Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr 250
    jeremy i feel your pain. in 08 i bought a brand new wr 250. all of my friends made fun of me for, first of all buying a 2 stroke, second it being a husky. i endured that ribbing for 6 years until guess what? 2 of my friends switched back to two strokes and 2 others bought new husky 4 strokes. sometimes in your life you just got to pull the trigger on your gut feeling and make the best of it. i was even told by one of my friends that i wouldnt be able to keep up with my "old skool" ride. im glad that your switchin to team husky. congrats! i would like to get together and ride with you sometime. i can even bring my aforementioned friends. i have to warn you though they r kinda a holes. lol
    Ridgeway77 likes this.
  16. Ridgeway77 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TXC 310
    Sounds like your one of those guys that worries alot. You need to pull the trigger you will save your riding career and probably your marriage because im sure you spent 3 mouths researching this for countless hours on the internet. As a matter of fact im buying the same bike and didnt think twice!
  17. Jon Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    14 TXC 310R
    Just picked mine up today
    Coffee likes this.
  18. pa-aaronq Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr 250
    yea i have a friend like that. he's wound up tighter than a garage door spring and on the fence about EVERYTHING! haha
  19. Up-tite Husqvarna
    Pro Class

They quit using DelWest several model years ago, BMW/Husky went Chinese.
    Del West doesn't have any lesser quality valves.
    Just look at the face of the valve if it has a dimple in it China.
    Later George
  20. reveille Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    2015 300 XC W
    Thanks George. Good to know. Do you know if Del West makes replacement valves for a 2012 or new red head 310?