2015 husky fe 501 s runs bad

Discussion in 'EFI/carb' started by John Daughters, Mar 13, 2015.

1. John Daughters Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2015 fe 501 s husqvarna
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ktm 2015 duke 690 .ktm 300 xcw 2015
    My brand new fe 501 s has been desmoged and the tps adjusted to .75 . I took the bike for a test run and it ran great ,killer throttle responce more compresion more smooth power. For 5 miles then the bike started back firing and dying out under a load . Apon all the forums i see no one has encountersd this problem? The bike only has 200 miles on it ,so i returned everything back to stock oem specs ,and the bike still does the same thing poops out under a load . At this point the dealer has had my bike for 10 days they have swapped out every thing from another brand new 501 except the wiring harness and motor swap. My bike is still doing the same thing ,and at this point ktm themselves are stumped. Help please ! I am thinking they should give me a new bike ? If Tiken has any imformation on this ever happening ,let me know .
  2. bikesparky Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    Superduke 1290
    Check injector and maybe get it cleaned. They clog up really easily from dirty fuel (hence Zipty's filter) and maybe what was in the tank gone bad.
    No offense to you, ktm or the dealer but I honestly don't know why people have so much problems with diagnosing an EFI bike. It is the same thing!
    Have spark, have fuel it goes..... Put it on the dyno with a sensor in the exhaust and see what happens! Does it lean out? Ar all sensors working in the required range?
    If it was backfiring and without seeing it I probably say it did run lean and either something is blocked like the fuel filter or injector, or the fuel pump doesn't do it's job. When they swapped "everything" did they swap fuel tank?
  3. John Daughters Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2015 fe 501 s husqvarna
    Other Motorcycles:
    Thanks for your reply ,Yes, they did swap the tank complete from another bike. So far they have swaped tank ,swaped ecu, swaped throttle body tps, checked or swaped fuel injectors ,they even desmoged it just to see if they could narrow it down. They have had my bike 2 weeks tomorrow ,so i am very disapointed to say the least . Apon chat with Tinken he suggested stator pick up connection ,or it could be a sheared stator key way. I had the key way shear on a brand new hpi 1/5 th scale buggie gas motor fly wheel once ,so i guess anything is possible . My dealer is much to timad and acts like its my fault or somthing. If i suggest that at a given point the bike is a lemmon then it is time for a new bike , and of course the tech acted all funny and i dont know ish about what ktm would say. I am just wanting someone to step up and take care of my ass. I Spent 30,000 bucs on 3 bikes ,all of witch are ktm . Tomorrow they are going to check the stator contacts and key way . If that is not the problem ,then they are going to switch out the wirring harness ,wow . After that does not work lol, he will call ktm again. All thats left is a motor swap . This has all been complicated with the fact 800 bucs in mods i have already been installed on my bike ,tapped hiway dirt bike ultimate hand gaurds ,seat consepts , slipp on, big oily clutch cover,tubless tires ,bla bla on and on. Thats alot of shit to swap over ,this whole thing sucks for my 57 yr old ass ,lol .i am To old for this shit . So tomorrow i will take the maiden voyage on my 6 days 2015 300 xc w 2 smoke ,to take my minde off the 501 drama BS. Thanks again padna . Braaaaap .and a ping ting ting ping ping ting ting, gday m8
  4. bikesparky Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    Superduke 1290
    Another one: Did they swap out the temp sensor? Since it's running OK when cold and then goes bad it could be that.
    Tinken might be right but I haven't seen that issue on a KTM as yet but entirely possible and worth a check. Doesn't take long to get the cover off anyway.
    One that I have seen before is the regulator rectifies crapping itself. What happens then is the electronics get a feed of AC instead of pure DC and they don't like that. It upsets everything from ECU to TPS settings.

Did you ride the bike original or have it desmogged straight out of the shop?
  5. John Daughters Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2015 fe 501 s husqvarna
    Other Motorcycles:
    Well i rode the bike 25 miles stock ,it back firing had weak throttle responce etc. I pluged the big hole on the cylinder head with tape and cut out the baffle screens in the end of the muffler and got rid of the spark arestor ,like i saw on the forums. Then the bike was vastly improved no lean backfire etc ,i rode it like this till 75 miles ,then idealer did first service . In the mean time, i orderd a quiet pipe straight threw muffler tip, the grunt manifold insert ,a tps adjustment tool ,the big oily cluch cover witch allows for 8 oz of oil more in your case ,and the complete desmog kit from best duel sports bikes . All of the BDSB products get great reviews from dirt bike mag and the ktm dirt bike community. I got all of the mods done,pipe insert ,exhaust manifold grunt insert,did the rest of the desmog got rid of selinoid ,evaporation canister,and adjusted my tps up to 74 were my buddie has his 500 ktm set at . Started the bike up ,turned up idle and it ran like a champ for 5 miles ,lots more grunt ,compression and great throttle responce ,then it started sputtering out like it still is now . So of course i thought i messed up the tps by adjusting it ? Of course it does not make sence ,but i feel it was somthing to do with my modafications , but apon the dealer elimenating all of my mod add ons ,the bike does the same dam thing,mods or oem stock same thing .The dealer is going to check the stator contacts ,key way today. If thats not it ,time to call ktm to see if they think it could be the wiring harness complete? What blows my minde is that i desmogged ,decat,and did like 3 other things to my 2015 duke 690 in my garage and i did not get 1 f1 warning bike runs awsome. My next bike will be the super duke like you have ,what a beautiful beast . Thanks for your help again
  6. reveille Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    2015 300 XC W
    .75 is a really high tps voltage.
    bikesparky likes this.
  7. John Daughters Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2015 fe 501 s husqvarna
    Other Motorcycles:
    Thanks for the heads up ,my buddy races and thats were he has his 500 ktm set for a year now no prpblems . but with a new tps on the bike it does this same thing? I am not going to set it that high next time if at all. If i mite ask were do you have your tps set? Or do you use a power comander ? Thanks for help .
  8. bikesparky Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    Superduke 1290
    Reveille is right 075 is really high! it doesn't only add more fuel but messes with other things like ignition advance and cold start if it's that far out of range.
    I'm surprised it actually runs as on some bikes it only takes a few mV out to run like crap.
    The powercommander is the way to go, it sorts the fuel everywhere perfect instead of just make it rich everywhere ! When they have it back to running get one instead of messing with the tps!
    Tinken likes this.
  9. John Daughters Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2015 fe 501 s husqvarna
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ok , that being said do you know ant one who wants to buy a tps adjustment tool cheap ? lol . To help me pay for a power comander . Thanks for the heads up .
  10. Aviator Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2015 501 S
    Other Motorcycles:
    2007 BMW K1200S, 2014 BMW R1200GSAw
    My TPS came with .57 and I took it to .66 Anything more would simply make it too rich.
  11. John Daughters Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2015 fe 501 s husqvarna
    Other Motorcycles:
    Thanks, I was thinking the the same ,It Ran like a champ for 5 miles at .75 lol . My buddies ktm 500 runs great at .75 but he is 31 yrs old and i am almost 57 so he is on the pipe alot more than me . Needless to say in my book if you advance timing or richen a car ,it does not cause wat is going on with my bike. All i did by moving tps was advance timing and richen mixture . So far a new tps did not cure the problem so something is going on with it. Thanks for your input.
  12. Tinken Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    MY12 WR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha
    I agree with bikesparky's above comments. I cannot stress more about not moving the tps at all and especially on these bikes. On the 449's I was able to advance as hot as +9° over the oem setting, but 2.7° is dangerous on these bikes.
    At this point however, I am thinking that Daughter's bike has an issue with the stator pickup failing to provide the correct signal.