1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

250-500cc 250-300 clutch into a 360

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by kris merrill, Jul 20, 2012.

1. kris merrill Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 Wr 300 - 1999 Wr 360
    I just found a 99 husky 360 that I am going to pick up. I am going to drop the 360 into my 2011 wr300 rather than swapping in the 6 speed.
    Is there any way that the 300 clutch could be grafted into the 360 to be able to use my rekluse pro? I know some parts will exchange into each other. Has anyone else tried this?
    I see Wally sent his clutch to EFM for his auto. If I have to do this then I have a rekluse pro for sale, never used.
    Let me know what you guys think.

Thanks
  2. wallybean Mini-Sponsor

Kris,

The 250/300 clutch is deeper with one more set of plates. Unfortunately they won't work for the 360. The EFM is probably your only option as using a core clutch would be inadvisable with the massive torque of the 360. If you go the EFM route you won't be unhappy as mine was absolutely bullet proof. When you get yours drop me a PM and I will let you know some setup tips for the 360.
  3. MOTORHEAD Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 YAMAHA YZ250
    I'm heading in the direction myself. Would it be possible to swap baskets ?
  4. wallybean Mini-Sponsor

If you swapped ring gears and got a cover spacer it might work. There isn't enough room in the 360 side cases/clutch cover for the deeper clutch. You will also need to add to the clutch rod.
  5. MOTORHEAD Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 YAMAHA YZ250
    You say that but the 360 clutch case is 41mm from the center case to the outer cover. The 2010 case is only 35mm at the same point. ????
  6. wallybean Mini-Sponsor

By all means try the swap. Didn't work for me but who knows.
  7. MOTORHEAD Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 YAMAHA YZ250
    I believe you, I just found it odd that the old side case was deeper. The older outer cover is almost flat and the newer cover has more contour to it, but they both end up being the same depth at the center. Further investigation would be needed to determine where they made up the difference with the two baskets.

Bottom line is, I think a spacer could take care of the clearance problem.
  8. AUSKY Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08 TE510 96 WR125 00 WR360 13 WR165
    Other Motorcycles:
    1999 XR250 83 YZ 490
    Wal's right!!
    I had the same issue with my Recluse Pro, not fitting into my 2000 360.
    The 360 only use 7 plates in the clutch not 8 like the 250-300's do.
    [IMG]
    with an extra 8th plate added, from my 08 510.
    [IMG]
    The clutch basket fingers barely touch the recluse pressure plate & I thought they would snap off, so the Recluse went into the 510 instead.
    [IMG]
    The baskets are very different. 2000 360 on left 2010 300 on the right
    [IMG]
    The height is about right & could be used in conjunction with a spacer on the cover & turned down to fit inside the pressure plate properly.
    [IMG]
    I thought I could use the one piece ring gear/primary from the 300 but it is incorporated into the clutch bearing a bit differently from the two piece ring gear/primary used on the 2000 360.
    [IMG]
    The primary drive is also different between the two & mated to the waterpump & powervalve govenor.
    I would love to find a husky basket that has the right combination of the depth & primary drive being the same number of teeth & i'm still looking.

What do EFM do to the clutch Wally?
    I'd love to have this bike auto clutched, it would be truely unstoppable. HEHE:cheers:
  9. wallybean Mini-Sponsor

Gary at EFM has a slightly different approach with the 360 than the 125's and other smaller bore bikes. I don't think he trusts the small bolts threaded through the basket to hold the pressure plate securely with all the torque on hand. With the 360 he machines a new cover out of a nice billet and the pressure plate rides against the machining of the cover with bearings and measured spacers for the contact. It is a set the gap once and forget for the rest of the life of the bike. When I installed mine I replaced the standard washers with lubricity impregnated bronze washers. Probably not needed but I don't usually get accused of not going far enough. Your pics are pretty much exactly how I remember it. I think the problems could be surmounted but I just thought it would be far easier to just ship my clutch and cover to EFM.

The price has gone up from 2007 when I did my 360 but still about the same as the Rekluse Pro. I think the only problem for you will be the long down time to get it shipped over worked on and shipped back. I do know where there is a spare 360 clutch and cover that you might be able to finagle to be sent to Gary so you don't have any down time. Send me a PM.
  10. MOTORHEAD Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 YAMAHA YZ250
    Wonder if an FBF billet 250/ 300 basket would work on the 360 gear ?
  11. wallybean Mini-Sponsor

For me at this point it was just easier to go with a proven product like EFM. Having EFM around to build the auto pressure plates for all those applications that fall through the cracks is fantastic. Great product and people.
  12. AUSKY Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08 TE510 96 WR125 00 WR360 13 WR165
    Other Motorcycles:
    1999 XR250 83 YZ 490
    I think the billet basket would be just that, the basket.
    The ring gear & the clutch bearing would be a seperate part.

I dont think it would make a difference, you would still have to use the ring gear from the 360. We need to find a ring gear that had 60 teeth on it & fits inside the centre hole in the 300 basket.

That way you could leave the 25 tooth gear that sits on the end of the crank alone. This gear also drives the powervalve & waterpump & their gears are mated to it.

2000 360 primary drive - 25/60
    2009 300 primary drive - 27/69

I think I may be going with Wal's recommendation of the EFM.
    ohmygewd likes this.
  13. kris merrill Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 Wr 300 - 1999 Wr 360
    Wow, thanks for the great reply's.
    I think that Im going to go will Wallybean's EFM recomendation, it will just be way easier. I'll just keep the Rekluse in the 300 motor and swap it into the 99 frame.

Turned out that the 99 I picked up does not have as much time on it as I though. I was going to part it out and just keep the motor. It has the original front tire, and chain and sprockets. I think Im going to do a restoration / clean up on it, and keep it as a spare bike.

As always, thanks for the great info.