1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

All 2st 250 or 300... YZ or WR?

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by surfingboyo, Mar 4, 2014.

1. surfingboyo Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR165XC
    I just sold my KTM 350 4t, so I am looking to get a 2nd hand 250 or 300 2t.
    It is going to be a second bike, probably the main bike to my 2011 WR165.
    Budget is a factor, so pretty much rules out the latish ktm/bergs...

I ride lots of super technical kind of stuff, so the torque of a 300 really appeals.
    But then you have the YZ250 alloy framers. A little bit of money spent on them and I reckon they'd be a really good 'woods' bike (and I'm sure you could set them up for torque, maybe even use a 300 kit?).

Are the WR300's a good bike, and how would you compare them to a YZ250? Anyone owned and ridden both?
    They are fairly dated, so I'm guessing theres no real 'best' year for them is there?
    Forks, are the KYB in the later years better then the marzocchi's?

I know this is a Husky forum!!!
    :oldman:
    Cosmokenney likes this.
  2. justpinit Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 wr 300
    Other Motorcycles:
    93 kx 125 with a kdx 200 engine.
    I'd rather have my yz back after owning my 12 wr 300. Started easier, thinner, lighter, and if your budget minded parts are cheaper. If you want a 300 get a big bore for the yz. The kick start is awkward on the wr too. This doesn't mean i'm not ha ing fun on the husky though. Only prob i had w my 04 yz 250 is 3rd gear breaks, and in some crashes the pipe bends easy and doesn't seal to the cyl. If you search around you'll see the probs i had w the husky. The trans issue may have been delt w at somepoint after 04.
  3. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    A YZ is hard to beat for a versatile woods platform to build whatever out of. Almost any year is good clear back to the steel frames 02 or even back to 98. Excellent motors but semi slow turning.
  4. Kyle Tarry Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 WR 300, 2006 TE 610
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati Monster S2R 800
    Whether or not the KYB forks are "better" is subjective. Both forks can work really well in offroad/woods conditions, neither fork is great for motocross. The YZs are great bikes. They'd need some suspension work and a pipe to use offroad, but arguably a WR is going to need that stuff anyway. I don't think that the YZ's alloy frame is really a benefit. If you need to plate the bike, it might be harder to do it on a YZ, depending on your state.

Just get whichever one is available at the best price to you.
    454x likes this.
  5. surfingboyo Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR165XC
    yeah, weight is a massive factor and so is kicking ability.
    with the yz i like the fact parts are everywhere, you can swap in WR (yammy) gears, pretty cheap to buy one with low hours.
    i'll have a search for your probs with your 300 justpinit...

cheers, and anyone else?
  6. justpinit Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 wr 300
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ok gl. If it was me, yz for sure. Or the other 3. If you buy the husky hit me up if you have probs, i know it inside and out.
  7. MOTORHEAD Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 YAMAHA YZ250
    I've been considering the same thing the last few days. I love my WR250, that was a 300 when I bought it, but this whole KTM buy out thing has just ruined my whole outlook on life.

The 300's are neat and fun for me to trail ride, but I don't care for them when it comes to racing. I prefer the 250's for racing and there isn't anything I miss about the 300 when I'm trail riding. But, there are 300 kits for the YZ now, if that's your bag.

I'd really like to have a Beta or Sherco, but they aren't that easy to get ahold of, and they are pricey. So, I've been kicking around the idea of just going back to a YZ250. I had a YZ and it was a great bike. Actually, the WR250 with the CR ignition reminds me of the YZ motor. If I was going to compare the WR to another bike it would have to be the YZ. A more workman like version, but very similar.

The YZ is smaller, thinner and lighter. Might be the lightest 250 smoker out there. It is probable a better fit for me physically than the WR. The WR is pretty tall and I'm pretty short. It doesn't seem heavy, but I now it's heavier than a YZ.

The best thing about the YZ are they are easier to find and about $2000.00 cheaper than a Beta, Sherco, KTM, or new Husqvarna-berg. I'm not crazy about going back to an Asian bike, as I really like these new Euro bikes, but life would be simpler. The YZ250 is the only new Asian bike I'd even consider right now.

The big problem is there is really nothing wrong with my WR. I've got it all set up with lots of tricks and it works really well. I've even got it plated and a 6 speed in it so I can dual sport it if I want.

So, I guess what I'm saying is they are both good bikes. I think the WR might have a longer life span, but both are good. I think the WR is built better.

If you are shorter you might lean toward the YZ. If you are tall, then the WR. But, IMO it's pretty close to a toss up.
    Motosportz likes this.
  8. Kyle Tarry Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 WR 300, 2006 TE 610
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati Monster S2R 800
    As a counterpoint, my WR has been nearly bulletproof. ~1200 miles (100+ hours) in 1 season and no significant issues.
  9. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many

Buddy of mine had 7500 plus miles on his 07 WR250, still going stong and it is abused and not well taken care of. Very durable bikes for sure. Then again most 250 2 strokes are.
    Kyle Tarry likes this.
  10. uranys Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    00 wr360/02 wr360/09 wr125/09 wr250
    Other Motorcycles:
    96 xr600r
    I've got a fellow member's '09 wr250 in my garage that has ~300 hours on the stock top end!
  11. Chums Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    I'd like to discontinue my account
    Since you pointed out you have a 165 and this next bike will be a second bike... do the 300. I have both, 165 and 300 and am glad! I just think the 250 is to close to the 165 in torque and power. I didn't want 2 bikes that were that similar. Now when I need a high speed sledge hammer I pull out the brut 300 and when I don't I ride the 165. Works out great!
  12. justpinit Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 wr 300
    Other Motorcycles:
    These responses are all good. I prob got a " bad one". There are only a handfull of ppl who have had probs like mine. 300 hours on a top end?? Mine are good for about 40 if i had to guess. I run mine pretty hard (at times) so that's the reason. I always use top notch two stroke oil. I'm in no way bashing the bike, but it has it's quirks. If i could find someone to buy it it'd be gone in favour of a wr 144 or 165. I may just have week legs which cause my starting probs in hare scrambles.
  13. justpinit Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 wr 300
    Other Motorcycles:
    Did the 250 cyl make it easier to start. I'm thinking about buying a 250 cyl
  14. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many

WOW, bet it starts hard and is way down on power. My buddies gets to about 1700 miles / 130 hours ish and starts to get flat and loose power.
  15. marcmo0 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09 WR300
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha YZ250
    I have an 03 yz250 and 09 wr300. Really do love both. You can scream the YZ to the moon on the open and fast stuff, throw a fww on it and chug a lug. I only have a 9oz fww and it stil does a great job of not stalling out on me.

I do love the extra chugability of the WR 300.On steep and technical hills, that motor just kills it. As we all know, the tougher the trails the better the bike seems to be.

The YZ bonuses for me are its lighter, parts are everywhere, and because of that you can custom build it to be exactly what you want. Cons to the YZ, very hard to find reliable stator for lighting. I am contemplating installing the 300 kit and WR 3,4,5 gears for a true wide ratio, 300cc two stroke that weighs in at about 225 lbs.

They really are both great bikes, but I would have to give a slight nod to Yamaha for overall build quality (not that I have had major issues, but there are some odd quirks like the rivets in the WR silencer just falling out) and parts availability. Either way, I guarantee you will be stoked. They both really are great bikes.
    WXC250 likes this.
  16. Glenn haynes Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 wr300
    Other Motorcycles:
    13 yz250f 08yz85 11ktm 65 09 ktm65
    You still have the mukini carb? I know swithing carbs to the pwk solved my starting issues
    shrubitup likes this.
  17. Glenn haynes Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 wr300
    Other Motorcycles:
    13 yz250f 08yz85 11ktm 65 09 ktm65
    Mine has started feeling flat at 90hrs. I'm doing a topend as we speak.
  18. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many

Bingo. I have a 165 and CR250 husky, gives you choices for your mood that day.
  19. justpinit Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 wr 300
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yeah, still have the mikuni. Was thinking about a different carb (lectron) but wasn't sure if it would solve it. I have the jd jet kit now which solved some probs, one of them being seizing lol!!
  20. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many

the JD kit gets these running pretty good IMHO.
    Kyle Tarry likes this.