1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

All 2st 2T Gearbox Oil

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by icebergstu, Apr 17, 2011.

1. icebergstu Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR300/TE610e
    Other Motorcycles:
    WR360 CT110 XR100
    I Have a new to me WR360 - What Brand and weight is good for the gearbox oil change?

Stu
  2. tommytwostroke Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 WR125, 2017 TX300
    80w synthetic motul gear oil
  3. icebergstu Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR300/TE610e
    Other Motorcycles:
    WR360 CT110 XR100
    Thanks!

Stu
  4. WoodsRiderParts Husqvarna
    B Class

Motul is the best - I have been using it for YEARS...!

Luke
  5. Vinduro Husqvarna
    Pro Class

80wt Maxima is great. I use 75wt in my WR150. Maxima makes 75, 80 and 85 endurance wts.
  6. racer726 Husqvarna
    AA Class

I use 10w40 from Sam's Club. About $1.75 per bottle. I change the oil every hour. Never had a problem in about 5 years doing it.
  7. ohmygewd Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    13'Berg FE350, 96'WR360, 01 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Aprilia RSV1000
    Belray Gearsaver 80w and sometimes ATF Dex3.
  8. PC. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    CR165 & CR144
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM500
    Rotella T 15-40. Changed every 10hrs.
    Both 4 strokes and 2 strokes for the last 10 years and never one issue.

Costs about $12/gal @ walmart.

It works and its cheap. Win-win.
  9. joker Husqvarna
    C Class

I was recommended by a bike mechanic years ago to use cheap engine oil in a 2t gearbox, I used the cheapest oil I could find in my rm250, it was about $5 for 4lt at coles supermarket. It worked great with no clutch issues, and at that price I would change it after every ride.
  10. racerjak Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    FC 450 Rockstar - 15 FE 501
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW Boxercup, BMW k1600gt
    Motul! tried others, but they all seam to drag a little. Not what you want for dead engine starts!!
    WoodsRiderParts likes this.
  11. Vinduro Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Using an automotive oil is chancey because they use friction modifiers and make your clutch slip. Why change oil every hour ???? Waste of oil, time and money. I change about every 300 miles or so. That would be 12 hours or more. 2 stroke gear boxes are not as critical about the oil as the top end of a 4 stroke. Use a good synthetic and the oil lasts longer anyway. ATF is a very inferior oil although some use it because it works good with a wet clutch. Also remember, just because some mechanic recommended using cheap automotive oil years ago, the oil is not the same as it was then. Now they add friction modifiers to try and get more milage and life out of the engine when they reduced ZDDP ( Zinc / Phosphorus ) and started to have problems with engine wear. They reduced ZDDP because it ruined catalitic converters by coating them in the metalic lubricants as the engine burned oil. But ZDDP was and is a very good lubricant and stress additive.
  12. Rob578 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Beta 300RR Beta 500RS TE 630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda 919 sold FJR1300 sold
    Ford ATF

Always used it, never a problem
  13. lankydoug Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    TM 300en
    I use ATF+4 in my GasGas, I put Gear Saver 80w in my Husky because Bill gave me a free bottle with the bike. Both are synthetic blends.... I'm not sure which one I will keep using.
  14. CoWR360 Husqvarna
    A Class

I've always liked Bel-Ray products.80w gearsaver is in my WR360 now.
    Matt
  15. racer726 Husqvarna
    AA Class

My oil comes out fried whether I use standard 10w40 or gear saver from maxima, bel-ray, etc. When you ride expert mx and a lot of sand, I don't care what type of oil is in the transmission. It's trashed after about an hour. I never noticed the slipping clutch when I did 50 races in a season a few years back...on one clutch. Run what you know or like, that's what I do.
  16. schrode Husqvarna
    AA Class

dexmerc type-f atf.
  17. Dirtdame Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11 WR300,13 WR125,18 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    17 Beta Xtrainer
    I use Honda Proline 80 wt in some of my bikes and ATF type F in others. I change it when it starts to look somewhat dirty. It's usually about 5 or 6 rides worth. I still have the original clutch and tranny parts in my 25 year old trail bike.
  18. motomaniac Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 WR300
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 RMZ450 2005YZ250 2001 EXC300
    ATF always helps with clutch fade. Dex III is SAE 0w-20 which might be a little light for your gearbox. Castrol Transynd has the same slippyness as Dexron fluids and is used in Medium Duty trucks (lots of shear strength). Type F ATF is more grabby and causes more RPM drop when you let the clutch out. My vote is for the Transynd, it can take the heat of the clutch, lubricates under extreme pressures and temperature ranges, and has the friction modifiers for smooth shifting.
  19. pollolittle Husqvarna
    AA Class

Merely a wild thought running through my mind. Why do manufacturers spec a motor oil and not a trans oil. Im sure they have a test to find out what to spec for. Anybody know that test and the results of it? Or what do the pro mmanufacture teams run under race conditions and changing after each day or race? I am not arguing the choice of oil, just would like to hear about the test side of it.
  20. WoodsRiderParts Husqvarna
    B Class

I have ridden some pretty harsh conditions with the Motul Transoil Expert in many of my bikes. One time we rode in sandy/wet conditions with lots of climbing for about 4 hours. Oil came out still in good shape, was not burnt or broken down. That is why I always stick with the Motul.