3 days at the ITMA State Ride

Discussion in 'Get togethers - Reports' started by RLW, Jul 21, 2009.

1. RLW Husqvarna
    AA Class

Idaho Trail Machine Association State Ride

Day one started off as a causal mtn trail ride in nice weather and comfortable temps.
    I lagged behind a bit taking photos while some of the slower riders went ahead, then decided I'd better catch up, so wicked it a bit, came around a tight corner to the top of the mtn as a loose rock pitched the front end out from under me.

Bike slammed into the uphill rock embankment shoving my guard protected LH radiator into the head and putting a small slice in a radiator hose.......not a happy camper.

Radiator wasn't leaking, so we pushed it out, taped the hose the best we could and refilled w/water, but w/air temp rising and more tight uphill single track coming up it was time to get the 510 off the hill.

I dead engine coasted where I could downhill, then split off from group at the next trailhead and worked my way down to an old 2-track road out.......while coasting at 25-30mph, had one of our lovely little mountain mutts (100+lb wolf) jump out in front of me......slid to a stop and shot (w/camera) before he got away.

(Day 2-3 to follow)

Attached Files:

2. RLW Husqvarna
    AA Class

ITMA State Ride - Day 2

After finding some 3/4" heater hose and weak anti-freeze to hopefully get me going again, we were off for Day 2.

Only about 2 miles up the trail to find ourselves wading thru a bunch of sheep while the guard dogs gave us the evil eye.
    On our way again, hit a section where I could watch the Chisitini in our group work over the rocks (funny seeing a front wheel spin).

Rest of the day was spent cruising the trails, stopping once in a while to refill my boiling 510 and let the other bikes cool back down.
    On the way down the last steep sidehill trail, my handguard clipped the edge of a large cut log, highsiding me and the bike off into the other half of the tree on the downhill side......but don't worry, my body saved the bike from hitting the tree.
    Took some doing but finally got free before someone had to come back up to help. (wasn't able to get photo of that one, & photo of my body bruises isn't pretty)

Attached Files:

3. RLW Husqvarna
    AA Class

ITMA State - Day 3

Day 3 wasn't sure I could ride, but glad I decided to try as it was just the big boys playing today on a fun route at a faster pace (well, most of the time)
    Still had to stop several times to watch the overflow bottle go off like Old Faithfull geyser and refill, but gave me to get some flowers for the wife (if only a photo). 510 ran strong all day and had a fun ride.
    (FYI: a 250EXC 2stroke, (2) 300EXC 2stroke, CRF450X were also boiling bad....hot day up to 9000ft)

(added a scanned photo on our '94 State Ride taken at the same place.....not much as changed on top over 15yrs)

Attached Files:

4. WoodsChick Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    3 Terras, 2 `07 SM610s, `09 WB165,
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM, GasGas, Suzuki, Honda
    Auugghhh! Cut it out, you're killing me! :cry:

I will be grudgingly forgoing Idaho this year in the hopes of making the Tecate-Cabo ride in December if I can find a TE to ride.

I am of the opinion that the best riding in the west can be found in Idaho, and some of the stuff in your photos looks mighty familiar.

Thanks for posting up!

WoodsChick
  5. CKPC Husqvarna
    AA Class

Great pics!! Someday I'll get to Idaho.

Has the bike always overheated? Just wondered as mine did until I installed a 610 fan. I still have the stock tank but have been told the fan will still fit with a Clark tank.
  6. RLW Husqvarna
    AA Class

WoodsChick,
    Sorry, thought I was just showing the trails were ready for you :)
    State Ride this year was out of Kelly Creek next to Baumgartner Campground. (met no1clyde from TT & couple others up there this year)
    Day 1: Shake Creek, down Trail Creek (where at the bottom I ran into the wolf....almost literally), then for me back over James Ck Road to Featherville.
    Day 2: Kelly Ck, Mid Fork Lime Ck, back around to and down Virginia Gulch (where I bit it hard)
    Day 3: Kelly Ck, Bremner Trail (led that section & had a blast), around Smoky Dome, out Miller Ck and back on the very crowded middle fork road.

CKPC:
    You do need to check our trails out someday. There are some trails in this area that resemble a 20-50 mile long Endurocross, but also a lot of fun mixed in w/great views. Do highly recommend heavy skid plates, hand guards and seriously gearing down for the central mtns.

....and NO, my bike has not always overheated. (but I do need to consider adding a fan for late summer)
    I typically get to tease some of the KTM guys about their tea kettles, but this years problems got me. Damaged cooling system, poor coolant and slow steep 1st/lugging 2nd gear climbs in +/-90F temps on a 510 isn't a good mix.
  7. CKPC Husqvarna
    AA Class

Most of my heat issues were when crawling in 1st and 2nd. I don't run the fan all the time but when I see I'm heading into a slow technical section or a hill I use it. I believe I paid about $120 for the fan and bracket, got it from MotoXotica. I think I paid $4 for the water proof button off another site.
  8. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Nice, looks like my kind of riding. :thumbsup: i have heard good things about that area. The only Idaho stuff i have ridden was the Idaho City ISDE qualifier (many times) and some single track up near Coeur D' Alene. Both good stuff.
  9. RLW Husqvarna
    AA Class

I was checking out a similar fan/button set-up on one of our guys Christini kitted 300EXC.....seemed to work well on his bike when he remember to turn it on.

Last time I rode Coeur d-Alene was our State Ride back in '99. Nightly rains that year made for some super riding. Loved the old growth cedar forest we went thru in one area.

Trinities Mtn area and where we were just East of there is generally a little more technical (at least to me), slower on average and rockier than Idaho City. Some of the trails are probably about the toughest riding I've seen or do, but has some faster sections thrown in to cool down and have fun.

Here's a couple more from last week........

Attached Files:

10. RLW Husqvarna
    AA Class

oh, and here's another of my Rooster skid plate......custom pin striping compliments of this area.
    (note, not the stock brake tip anymore either.....and smashed that one last week too)

Attached Files: