1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

125-200cc 36 or 38mm lectron on 165

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by AUSKY, Jul 15, 2013.

1. AUSKY Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08 TE510 96 WR125 00 WR360 13 WR165
    Other Motorcycles:
    1999 XR250 83 YZ 490
    Hi all,
    I was wondering which lectron would be a better carby for the wb165 a 36 or a 38 mm lectron?
    I know a smaller bore carb helps increase bottom end response and the 38 mm helps with the top end breathability
    So with the 165 having a much better bottom end response and reportedly less top end than the 125/144 do you think a 38mm would be a better option to help with the loss in top end performance?
    Has any one tried both carbs on a 165?
  2. R-J van Hulst Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR 125 + 40 = WB 165 and a SM165
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda CB 400 Vtec 3
    If I recall there is already a thread regarding this question

Walt did make a test with both of them and could not really find significant differences on his 165 set up

For me the only reason to get one is to get rid of the annoyance of the TMX wandering around in its settings and the need of changing jests on the trails

I have a bike for riding not for working on the mechanics of it (try to limit it to the necessary maintenance regime)

Robert-Jan
    typeone likes this.
  3. sabortooth No Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11uptite167
    The 36mm gave my 167 a new life on the top. Wide open used to be early and flat. Now the bike revs out a lot more. I am shocked at the difference.
  4. typeone Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    07 TC270 + 09 WR165
    Other Motorcycles:
    08 X4 146 + 13 250RR
    i read all the feedback and went with a 36 for my 165, couldnt be happier. i think the one piece of info that pushed me to purchase was a comment about the Lectron 36 flowing more than the TMXx 36. after reading that, i saw no reason to go 38.
  5. wallybean Mini-Sponsor

I think the only place where you would notice a difference would be at higher elevations at WOT.
  6. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Same cost and pretty much the same performance. If you rev it a lot get the 38, if not get the 36. Both work about the same.
  7. johnnyboy Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR 125
    Other Motorcycles:
    TM 250f
    Having tried the 36 and the 38 back to back on the 165 there maybe a ever so slight advantage right at the top end if used with a top end type pipe, but no noticable gains with the bottom / mid type pipes. Off idle and into the mid I could not detect the slightest difference between the two but after modding the metering rod in the 38 I have gained a much stronger more responsive mid to top that makes the 165 even nicer to ride :thumbsup:
    rockdancer likes this.
  8. Pedec Husqvarna
    Pro Class

I have the 38mm on my 165 and I think it works great.
  9. rockdancer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 WR125, 2019 FE350
    Now he is confused lol
    typeone and R-J van Hulst like this.
  10. sabortooth No Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11uptite167
    Do both sizes use the same rod?
  11. rockdancer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 WR125, 2019 FE350
    Don't you have the 36mm already Damo?
    I am sure you will be happy with the 165 - if you buy a 38 I will buy your 36mm:D
  12. Kevin_TE250 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Did you get the 36mm Lectron ? I think you and I are the only ones who have the 167
  13. sabortooth No Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11uptite167
    Yep, I thought a 38 would arrive but after using the 36 I am happy. I never had to go inside to turn the rod so that was an indication the carb was sized right.
  14. Bill502 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2007 WR167 1978 CR250 1938 sw maus
    Other Motorcycles:
    1970 Triumph T100C 1973 Honda TL125
    I have a 2007 WR167 also.
    sabortooth and Kevin_TE250 like this.
  15. Kevin_TE250 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Looks like it's just the 3 of us... :)
  16. 454x Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 CR165 w/36mm lectron.
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 BETA 300RR w/36mm lectron.
    You guys have the MAX POWER KIT or UPTITE curious as how they rate against the wb 165.
  17. Auslander Husqvarna
    AA Class

Four of us.
    Kevin_TE250 and sabortooth like this.
  18. AUSKY Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08 TE510 96 WR125 00 WR360 13 WR165
    Other Motorcycles:
    1999 XR250 83 YZ 490
    Thanks for all the response everyone.
    Sounds like pretty even performance between the two different sized carbs, with a slight edge to the top end with the 38.
    Johnnyboy what mods did you do to your carb? Would they be similar to the mods on Kelly's new pj tube and metering rod?
    It's good to hear theres not much between both carbs down low and into the mid, maybe the 38 with Kelly's new pj tube and rod might be the ticket to get just that bit more up top with the 165.
    Yes Rockdancer I have the 36 im just tinkering in my head with this.
    I suppose there is only one way to satisfy my curiosity.
    Thanks again everyone for your input.
  19. sabortooth No Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11uptite167
    Now that I am running the lectron the gap has to be closer. I dont know why the mukini did not feed the top of the powerband but its there now. Kevin is the closest to do a head to head with Walt,Kelly, or Blake. I need my pipe, then maybe Vinduro would be up to a drag race and then all questions would be answered.
    Kevin_TE250, john01 and wallybean like this.
  20. johnnyboy Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR 125
    Other Motorcycles:
    TM 250f
    Yes Ausky, I modded my rod and pj tube to something close to Kellys new rod and tube settings.
    I was getting some detonation mid to top in certain conditions that I could clear up by going richer on the rod but then got a real fat bottom end and lousy idle.
    With the modded rod and pj tube throttle reponce has a far more connected feel where as before large throttle openings were needed to to achieve the same results that small throttle openings now achieve if that makes any sense !
    I could not say if my settings / rod grind would be of any good to others as I am UK based so have to tune to our fuels so I would stick to Kellys tried and tested setup .
    I did try the 38mm on a 125 with the 165 setup and it was a bit rich but not bad, tried it on the 144 and it was faultless and made it howl like a sex starved wolf.
    VERY IMPRESSED :thumbsup:
    wallybean likes this.