1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

250-500cc 3rd seizure on a 12 wr300

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by a t castle, Jan 18, 2014.

1. a t castle Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE610
    I think I have had enough, time to throw in the towel on this bike.
    I have a 2012 WR 300. Bought the bike new in the spring of '12. After @ 10- 15 hours the moter seized. PJs cycles warrantied the Bike and did the work even though i did not buy the bike from them. They said they did a leak down on the bike and the intake manifold was the problem. I believed them as this seemed to be common. I kept a close eye on the intake after that. It seized again after 49 hours after the work. Intake was fine, and yes i had re-jetted to altitude. I sent the cylinder off for replating and a piston and put it together myself; wondering if i was way off on jetting I put a Lectron Carb when I reinstalled the cylinder and piston. Yep, it went again at 92 hours.
    I ride for the most part tight technical trails loads of rock and ledges mostly slow speed stuff. Common is that it seizes in 5th gear and above half throttle (witch the bike does not see often) i think if i rode at the high speeds it would seize way more often.
    Now I have to tear it down again and start over. I am going to take it to a friends shop and do a full leak down as I suspect there is still a leak. Maybe Crank seal? if it does this would mean the dealer that did the warranty work would have lied about a leak down.
    Anyhow any insight would be greatly appreciated.
    broken biker likes this.
  2. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    thats crazy man. Wierd.
  3. shrubitup Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '00 TE610 (pretty much a WXE610)
    Other Motorcycles:
    Husaberg FE450, KTM 200EXC, Triumph
    not attacking but what brand of oil and ratio? gas with ethanol?
  4. K5PL5 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 WR300
    Other Motorcycles:
    03 Suzuki SV1000/73 Honda CB350
    Either your gas/oil ratio is bad, the work wasnt done right, or something was missed during the rebuild(s). I believe its an issue with your oil because how would the engine seize after so many hours? Somethin aint addin up here.
  5. a t castle Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE610
    Motul 510 oil, 44:1. 91 octane, only ethanol available around here.
  6. shrubitup Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '00 TE610 (pretty much a WXE610)
    Other Motorcycles:
    Husaberg FE450, KTM 200EXC, Triumph
    gazmcfaza and ray_ray like this.
  7. 2premo Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    98 WR360, 1987 WR430, 1988 XC430
    Other Motorcycles:
    Sherco 300, 2002 KTM 380EXC
    what color is the spark plug
  8. ScottyR Husqvarna
    AA Class

Obviously your jetting is NOT correct. Quite often half throttle for extended periods is the leanest point of the jetting.

Raise the needle 1 clip or go up 2 sizes on the main next time.
    jmetteer, Tinken and Motosportz like this.
  9. Mike-AK Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 TE 310
    Amsoil Interceptor at 40:1.
    fredd likes this.
  10. Eaglefreek Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11 WR300
    He has the Lectron. I thought it was supposedly next to impossible to seize with the Lectron. I suspect a crank seal or something unusual. I used Lucas from the auto parts store at 50:1 for about a year with no ill effect.
  11. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Seized it with the stock carb too. Twist the screw to fatten top end (Lectron) but they usually just stop pulling in my experience. I think there is a leak. High RPM is when a crank seal or such will suck. Three stuck pistons on two carbs somethings up. Do these have a crankcase center gasket? Anyway leakdown should be first. Puzzling.
    Tinken likes this.
  12. Dirtdame Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11 WR300,13 WR125,18 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    17 Beta Xtrainer
    Maybe something way out, like a porous casting. I had bought a restoration bike with a carburetor that just poured fuel into the engine no matter what I did, or what parts I replaced on it. I ended up having to buy another carb body for the machine. I had talked to an expert about the problem, and he had said that he'd seen it before once, and thought it was a casting flaw. Maybe one of the cases has a casting flaw on this 300, and it's letting air into the crankcase. Shot in the dark, but something to think about if nothing else can be be determined.:excuseme:
  13. Tinken Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    MY12 WR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha
    I've seen this exact issue before on a 125 caused from a leaky crankcase seal. Check under the magneto for oil seepage from the crank seal.
    panhandlebars likes this.
  14. Tinken Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    MY12 WR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha
    On a side note on your fuel oil mixture. Average riders run about 32:1. If you are a light throttle twister, fire roads rider, then 40 to 60:1. Aggressive riders (high rpm for long distances) set up their carburetors to run at 24:1. More oil will prevent bottom end failures and give longer life to high-revving engines. This may seem way out of the ball park from what you are normally used to hearing, but dyno testing a properly jetted bike makes the most power when it is run at 24:1.

Also, reading into your original post a bit further. For average riders, the typical lifespan of a piston and ring set is about 40-45 hours. Stretching it to 92 hours, without even a re-ring is really pushing it. Aggressive riders tend to have a much shorter lifespan on components.
  15. a t castle Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE610
    Thanks for all the replies, I have owned several 2 strokes over the years and have had good luck at 44:1 and my spark plug looks good, even with the old Mukuni. I put the Lectron on for a number of reasons as well as the jetting. The piston and rings in the bike 92 hours where replaced at 49 hours, total time on them where 43 hours. I will let you all know how it goes with the Leak Down test, hopefully we will know more tomorrow night.
    Motosportz likes this.
  16. a t castle Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE610
    So we put pressure in the motor today, Big leak from the Left side at the power valve cover. We opened it up and the air was coming out of the bushing that the Booster valve rides in. When I had the motor rebuilt under warranty they had no bushing in stock but said we could re-use the old ones, I told them to go ahead. When the motor seized the second time i did not replace them as well. So a series of misjudgment on my part and trusting the dealer who did the work. I will rebuild and have new bushings on order.
    I plan on pressure testing the motor again after i get it back together. Any one heard of this malfunction before?
  17. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Not sure that will cause your lean issue. I assume they all leak there somewhat and your looking for a leak before the combustion chamber as in the crank seals or reed black. I might be wrong. Thinking about it...
    MotoMarc36 likes this.
  18. Dirtdame Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11 WR300,13 WR125,18 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    17 Beta Xtrainer
    Yeah, air leak on the exhaust side is not terribly suspect.
  19. a t castle Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE610
    I will do another pressure test after the motor is back together. Thanks for the input, I agree the exhaust side is not the prime suspect but is was blowing a ton of air. The scoring on the cylinder wall did match up with the suspect booster valve but the major damage was 90 degree opposite side from the booster.
  20. High Society Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 TC250
    Other Motorcycles:
    2001 DRZ400sm