1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

250-500cc 45mm Zokes Spring Rates

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by Bench Racer 117, Aug 1, 2012.

1. Bench Racer 117 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2007 WR250
    I weigh 210lb usually without gear and am wondering what rate of springs I would need for Zokes 45mm. I know I have too light of springs front and rear. But the rear spring feels great. The forks are prone to bottom at higher speeds. It seems really hard to find any info for these springs.

What's the stock springs rate?
  2. rancher1 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

You would need to give us a year and model for specifics.
  3. rancher1 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

I just looked at your sig line and see it is a 2007 WR 250. Stock is .42, I would go one or two steps for your weight. I think I have a new set laying around the shop, I will have to check what spring rate they are.
  4. Bench Racer 117 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2007 WR250
    So would that be a .46 and. 50? I did a calculation on racetech.com. It said .51 use closest size. I'm guessing the .50 would be the one for me. .52 might be too stiff for trail use.

If you have a set let me know and maybe we could work something out.

Thanks
  5. rancher1 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

I just looked and the new springs I have are .45
  6. Bench Racer 117 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2007 WR250
    Bummer deal. I think I need the .50. I could be wrong though. What are the sizes available for those springs?
  7. lankydoug Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    TM 300en
    Get the rear spring and sag right and then measure the front. I'm 210 lbs and the 4.5 stock fork springs work for me.
    R_Little likes this.
  8. Bench Racer 117 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2007 WR250
    You know, the forks work fine when I'm on trails, but as soon as the speed picks up on roads and big rollers come at you, forget it. Instant slams. With the large tank and gear carried, I'm sure that going up to a stiffer spring size will actually make the ride more plush. Because it's the correct spring. If I go in on compression, it just gets harsher and still blows through the stroke. Meaning I'm too big for the springs.

So the stockers on a '07 WR250 are 4.5? I don't know which size to go to. I'm obviously not happy with the 4.5, so is it 4.8 or 5.0? I don't want supercross stiffness. More help please.
  9. lankydoug Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    TM 300en
    Once the sag is set correctly bottoming is a function of valving. The stiffer spring alone will most likely not solve your problem and might make the front end in to a pogo stick because the stock valving will not be able to handle the rebound dampening properly. There are many posts on here that will help you sort it out. Vinduro has some good advise in this area.
    Vinduro likes this.
  10. Bench Racer 117 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2007 WR250
    Okay. Here's some info. I had the forks revalved. Oil set to 135mm. The valving was updated to more modern valves. Could I add oil in 5mm increments and try to find the plush spot for both situations? Maybe go that route before spending $100.:
    Lankydoug. I read somewhere that you run your oil at 130mm. Anything changed? What else have you done.
    The info I found here is mostly about closed chamber and 50mm forks. If you have a link to my forks, I would be stoked.
  11. lankydoug Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    TM 300en
    Lowering the level made them softer on the small sharp edged stuff but also made it easier to blow through the travel on big hits. You could try adding 10cc of oil at a time. I think on the 50 open chamber forks 13cc = 10mm but don't hold me to that. I set mine at 130mm and thought I would add if needed but liked them at 130mm so I left them alone. I'm not completely happy with my forks yet. I plan on getting them re-valved but I keep putting it off because I would rather keep riding then send them off. As far as other changes I tried 10w oil and 5w oil and the 5w was easier on my old man right wrist so I ended up staying with 5w. The 10w made it easier to slow the dampening down with the clickers but was harsh on the small stuff.
  12. Bench Racer 117 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2007 WR250
    Well I appreciate all your help. I'm gonna hold off on my original thought about stiffer springs. That shows how much I know. And I'm gonna just add oil in 10mm increments til it's were I'm happy. I won't go past 120mm though. I'll use 5w, which is already in there, and start the trial runs.

Thank you
  13. rancher1 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

The stockers are .42 on a 07 WR 250. If you do decide to make a change I will sell you the new ones I have for 80.00 to save you some money.
  14. Bench Racer 117 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2007 WR250
    So which would be the best spring for me then? A .45, .48, or.50? I'm 6'3" 205 to 210, use an oversized tank, ride woods, and expert level.

I need to talk to my local shop and see if they can get Zoke springs. I would still need to pay for the shipping from you (rancher1). He won't charge me for shipping. But he might not be able to get them. So, I'll get back to you. Thanks.
  15. Vinduro Husqvarna
    Pro Class

How about letting us know your sag numbers ? Static Sag and Rider sag. Front suspension and rear. The sag numbers tell us what springs are correct for you and your bike. Once that is correct then we go to valving. Most run too much preload on rear so you have little or no static sag. Front suspension sags need to be correct so the bike corners correctly.
  16. Bench Racer 117 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2007 WR250
    Good question. I set the rear when I got the bike and forget what it's at. But I've never done the front and don't know how. I've read your setup thread but didn't really understand how to set the forks. I'll read it again with intent. I guess I'll need to get some numbers so I can get this figured out.
    lankydoug likes this.
  17. Bench Racer 117 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2007 WR250
    Okay. My rear measurements are 100mm rider sag, 30mm static sag. Front are 50mm rider sag, 20mm static. So the front is too stiff apparently. It's weird to me but the numbers don't lie.

Also, I added 10mm of oil to 125mm to try the next time out. I'll adjust the comp clicker out one to start.
  18. Vinduro Husqvarna
    Pro Class

OK, I take it from your Signature that you have a 2007 WR250. That bike has 12.6" or 320mm of travel in rear.
    You should have less than 10mm preload on your spring. More like 7-8mm. Your static sag should be 11% of travel or 35mm (+-2mm). Your rider sag, if the spring rate is right and your preload and static numbers are right, should be 109mm (+-2mm). So your rear spring might be close if you back off the preload some to get the 35mm static sag you are looking for. Then recheck your rider sag.
    As for the front your front does appear too stiff. Decrease your preload on front. You don't want the spring sticking above the fork tube for sure when the caps are off. There is a spacer under under the spring on the 50mm. You have to get it out with a paint stir stick. I am not sure about the 45mm but I suggest calling Hall's Cycles to to find out for sure and what the stock spring rate is. They will have springs in stock. I like about 5mm preload on mine. I bet you will need .40 or .42kg. Spray the fork tubes with silicone spray and measure at least 3 times due to seal stiction. I do suggest raising your fork oil level to near max to prevent bottoming. Use 5wt fork oil. I like Maxima or PJ1.
    ray_ray likes this.
  19. Bench Racer 117 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2007 WR250
    Yes it's an '07 WR250. I've been told the front springs are .42. Do you mean the springs shouldn't stick out when at full length or bottomed with the cap off?
    How do you decrease preload in the front? Clickers? And what is max oil height, 100?
    I can get those numbers on the rear spring no problem!
    Thanks for helping.
  20. Bench Racer 117 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2007 WR250
    Okay. I've done some research. Manual says stock front springs are .42. Max oil level up to 80mm. The preload spacer is shown in the parts break down. Dwight, you said you like 5mm of preload. Does that mean you've installed a 5mm spacer with the softer springs?

80mm seams like way too much oil.
    It looks like a .40 spring may be the next move with a different preload spacer.

Dwight, what oil level do you have?