511 ECU Reflash by Zip-Ty

Discussion in 'EFI/carb' started by Suputin, Jun 24, 2013.

1. Suputin Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 SMR 511
    Other Motorcycles:
    WR250X, 81 Yamaha RD350LC, 90 RZ350
    Just got my ECU back from having it reflashed with the most up to date map by Zip-Ty. I have an Innovate Motorsports A/F mixture gauge on the bike which shows the A/F ratio in real time. This makes it easy to see where and when the bike is running rich/lean.

The new map definately makes a HUGE difference over the OEM map that was in my 2011 511. That map was way too lean with the FMF pipe.

The new map seems to run a bit rich almost everywhere except in the midrange or maybe at the bottom of the midrange. The following numbers are rough A/F ratios at the various throttle openings.

Idle: 12.5
    Bottom End: 12 - 12.2
    Bottom of Midrange: 12.8 - 13
    Top of Midrange: 12.2
    Top End: 12 - 12.2

Motors make peak power in the 12.8 - 13.0 range. I can actually feel the difference in that the bike would easily loft the front wheel in third gear when I had it tuned to around 13.3 with the JD Tuner. Now, with the slightly richer condition it will no longer lift the front wheel in third.

I still have the JD box but it is not really designed to lean out the fueling so it may not help too much. Guess I will have to try it to find out.

Considering the minimal cost of having the ECUmap updated, I think this is an excellent performance for value mod compared to a piggyback EFI. It is also an inexpensive way to improve power and protect your motor from excessively lean running when going to an aftermarket pipe.
    alomas and underwatersimon like this.
  2. Radar Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 TE449
    Thanks for the report. Do you have any info on gas mileage on highway and trail with the new ECU map?
  3. oregonsage 4st Clerk

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    FX450
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha DT400 x 2, BMW G310R
    Great report..I love analysis with data.
  4. TE in RC Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE 449
    Other Motorcycles:
    98-ATK 605 2011-TE250
    What Radar asked, does the remap hurt MPG's? What is the range of the tank now? I would not want to get less than 90 miles from a tank.
  5. Tinken Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    MY12 WR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha
    Kelly claims 41mpg in afterburner mode of the new flashed ecu. That would be close to 103 miles per tank, but that will vary due to the riding conditions.
    TE in RC likes this.
  6. Suputin Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 SMR 511
    Other Motorcycles:
    No idea on mileage. First, I don't care what the mileage is as long as the thing runs properly, makes gobs of power and is wicked fun to ride. Second, I rode it for about 6 miles just to see how it works. So even if I was interested in mileage I wouldn't know at this point.
  7. ljrat Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    501S
    Other Motorcycles:
    F800GS, G650X, WR450
    Spankingly great and THE number one improvement to "BMW" motored bikes. 2011, 12 & 13 - 449s and 511s. Mine rips, no stall, and is around 40 mpg. Thank you Zip-Ty gods. You Rock!
    Tinken likes this.
  8. Suputin Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 SMR 511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Been riding the bike a bit more with the reflashed ECU and am pretty happy with it. I think I have decided to live with the slightly rich condition and sell the JD tuner. I am wondering if the richness can be dialled out somewhat with the air screw?

One thing I have noticed is that the flame outs are beginning to come back. Yesterday had about a half dozen over the course of the day. They seem worse when the motor is hot. Also wondering if this problem can be tuned out with the air screw?
  9. Tinken Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    MY12 WR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha
    That doesn't sound right, you have the power up plug in?
  10. oregonsage 4st Clerk

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    FX450
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha DT400 x 2, BMW G310R

Is that AF meter telling you anything that might be a clue about the changed behavior?
  11. Suputin Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 SMR 511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yep.
  12. Tinken Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    MY12 WR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha
    It's leaning out when it gets hot. Could you list your specific mods from stock please.
  13. Suputin Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 SMR 511
    Other Motorcycles:
    FMF slipon pipe. Drilled a pair of ca 1" holes in the airbox lid. Power up plug installed. OEM O2 sensor is still connected. Otherwise thats it.

I have a data logger for the AF mixture gauge but I haven't logged any long rides with it. Maybe I will try that next time.

It would be nice to solve the flame outs as I nearly went over the bars twice when it died while I was standing up. :O
  14. Tinken Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    MY12 WR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha
    Same exact thing happened to me and on the street no less. But my engine is as opened up as one could possibly make it and it doesn't flame out with the upgraded map. When you tested the air fuel ratio's, how hot was the engine? Kinda wondering if your temp sensors are feeding back the correct info to the ecu. Try taping up your air box vent and seeing if it still flames out.