511 idle issues

Discussion in 'EFI/carb' started by Suputin, Sep 12, 2011.

1. Suputin Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 SMR 511
    Other Motorcycles:
    WR250X, 81 Yamaha RD350LC, 90 RZ350
    Just got my 511 SMR and put about 200 km on it over the weekend. Two things I noticed:

The slow idle seems a bit fast. Is there a way I can adjust that manually?

When the bike gets hot, I noticed that when the throttle is rolled off, the engine drops down to a kind of fast idle for 3 or 4 seconds before dropping back to its proper slow idle. Anyone know what that is about or how to cure it?

It isn't a huge problem but it would be nice to get a proper slow idle when thats what I want.
  2. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    there is a big brass screw on the side of the EFI that controls idle.

As for the hanging idle that is a design feature on the EFI map for this bike making it not have that horrific "slam the rear brake" feeling 4 strokes have when chopping the throttle. I love that feature, makes it feel more 2 stroke like and free flowing.
  3. Suputin Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 SMR 511
    Other Motorcycles:
    WR250X, 81 Yamaha RD350LC, 90 RZ350
    And this is what I love about the internet. Answers to every question from an expert in the field. :D

Thanks, I found the idle adjustment, I will try and adjust it later.

I have only been on the bike for a day so but I don't remember the hanging idle all the time. It only seemed to be there when the bike was hot and during slower speed maneuvers. Is there a way to adjust it? I find it goes on for too long. I'd be happy with a second at most.

While I have you, the fan doesn't seem to be kicking in when the bike is hot. It is getting hot enough to puke out a small amount of coolant. I tried to spin the fan by hand but it seems a bit stiff. It does turn but not as freely as I would have expected.

I suspect the coolant may be slightly over full from the factory. The oil certainly is.
  4. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    I have not had an issue with the fan or coolant but the fan should spin free, mine does.
  5. LiveHard Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TXC 511
    Other Motorcycles:
    08 KTM 450XCRW 05 Polaris Predator
    I also have had this issue with the hanging idle. It lasts way way too long, in fact I can come to a stop and the fast idle will just stay on indefinitely even if I chop the throttle. I know this can't be right.

Does anyone have additional suggestions on the mapping adjustment or idle mix adjustment to fix this issue?

'11 TXC511 JD Tuner at suggested settings Thanks.