511, what happens if I remove the O2 sensor?

Discussion in 'EFI/carb' started by Suputin, Dec 19, 2012.

1. Suputin Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 SMR 511
    Other Motorcycles:
    WR250X, 81 Yamaha RD350LC, 90 RZ350
    Anyone know what will happen if the O2 sensor is removed? I am running a JD box on top of the OEM EFI.

I want to install a wideband air fuel gauge in the OEM O2 sensor bung but don't know how the EFI/JD system will react.
  2. oregonsage 4st Clerk

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    FX450
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha DT400 x 2, BMW G310R
    If you don't plug the hole in the pipe it will be very loud :-)

Mine runs fine without it, but I am curious about the technical aspects of removing the sensor since it isn't being done to install a power up jumper on these bikes.
  3. Tinken Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    MY12 WR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha
    Removing the O2 sensor will result in a fail message on the odometer. However, the O2 sensor is taken out of the loop upon installing race map II. Use 12 by 1.25mm oil drain plug to fill the hole. (Autozone $2.99 or Husky one is $58.00)
  4. Suputin Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 SMR 511
    Other Motorcycles:
    WR250X, 81 Yamaha RD350LC, 90 RZ350
    That is interesting. I have the Race Map plug installed and every once in a while I see the Fail notification on my dash yet the bike keeps running.

Thanks for the info, that is what I was looking for. With the race map jumper installed the O2 sensor isn't doing anything anyway so I can remove it and use that bung for a wideband fuel mixture gauge.
  5. Tinken Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    MY12 WR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha
    If you are in Mode II and still receiving the FAIL message, it isn't your Lamda sensor, but could be something else.
  6. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Yep Tinken is right on. JD Jetting had my TE511 strapped to there dyno to build the EFI programmer for the 449/511 and he said removing it made no measurable difference.
  7. oregonsage 4st Clerk

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    FX450
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha DT400 x 2, BMW G310R
    And if you running a TXC there is no dash, so no messages.