610 street ride to Mt St.Helens...

Discussion in 'Get togethers - Reports' started by Motosportz, Sep 2, 2009.

1. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Did a funny ride, Me on my SM610, a couple harleys, a V-Strom, Suzuki thing. Funny group. I was way out in front all day, Harleys got nothing on me :D Anyway You might want to check out the gallery and see pix of Helens up close. it is amazing if you have never seen it in real life. 18 years after the big boom the lake is still full of trees, devastation everywhere, trees blown down like the hand of god himself did it. Pretty cool ride and scenery.

All the pix...

http://motosportz.smugmug.com/Motorcycles/8-28-09-St-Helens-street-ride/9497715_aWP9K#P-1-15

Some highlights...

This is part of Spirit lake, it got washed down hill. Look close and see not only is the lake full of timber but the hills are bare, they were thick old growth forest.

[IMG]

Obvious top blown off and the resulting devastation. As you can see the forest is hard at work replenishing itself...

[IMG]

What used to be thick forest, just below the mountain...

[IMG]

Closer look at how the tress are just blown right over like tooth picks...

[IMG]

Interesting stuff.

BTW, this is the first time I have used the fuel tank on the 610. Worked excellent and allows for 200 miles between fill-ups.
  2. Dirtdame Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11 WR300,13 WR125,18 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    17 Beta Xtrainer
    Looks like it hasn't changed all that much since I used to ride around there in 1990.:excuseme: Nice area though. We used to stop at that little burger joint near the top of St. Helens for lunch.
  3. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    that's closed now.
  4. PALMER84ONE Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08 TE450 THE ROCKET
    Other Motorcycles:
    12 RS520, CRF150F/230F, YZ250
    That would be God. :busted:
  5. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250, 2013 TR650 Terra - sold
    Nice pics :thumbsup:

I was not aware the logs were still floating around in the water, I'll assume they are letting nature take care of things.

Nice looking muffler on the 610 too :)
  6. HuskyDude Moderator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    13/TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    10/EC300, 76/TY175
    Pretty cool pic Kelly.
    I've seem the 3D view on Google Earth before, but real pictures are way better.
    Thx.
    610 does look a little odd amongst the big bike, but it's to only bike I'd be on.:thumbsup:
  7. XLEnduroMan Heroes Ride Huskys. The others follow.

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '18 Husqvarna 701 Enduro.
    Other Motorcycles:
    '20 Ducati Hypermotard 950.
    All that good wood just lying/floating around! Here in CA they log the heck out of the fire affected areas. At least around here they have.
  8. Dirtdame Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11 WR300,13 WR125,18 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    17 Beta Xtrainer
    The problem with that fallen timber is that it got all that volcanic material embedded in it during the pyroclastic blast that occured that knocked all the trees down. I think that some mills tried to cut up some of the timber, but found that the volcanic stuff embedded in it was too abrasive for their saw blades. That's what I heard, anyway.:excuseme:
  9. Reddog Husqvarna
    AA Class

Most of that timber flew a mile or two through the air in that blast. It didn't just tip over on its stump.
    The loggers I know that did some work out there, claim it is worse than cutting drift wood for imbeded grit.
  10. columbia510 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Beauitful pics. Gods wrath on treehuggers.
  11. ghte Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2 x 310's, 2016 Beta 480, SWM RS650
    Other Motorcycles:
    2016 Multi ,Griso1100, Monster695
    Who did the headlight-that looks pretty trick.
    How do you find the husky on the open road at say 60mph for 2-3 hour stints?
  12. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    The headlight is a trailtech which we sell, great light. Best light for $85 you can get IMHO. The bike will cruse all ad at 70 plus no problem. 70-75 is a nice cruse speed with current gearing. Bike has no issue pulling it. It is faster and more WAY more fun than my buddies V-Strom 650.
  13. ghte Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2 x 310's, 2016 Beta 480, SWM RS650
    Other Motorcycles:
    2016 Multi ,Griso1100, Monster695
    Can one of those lights fit directly onto my 06 TE 450 and can they be sent to Aussie?

On the other note you indicated the 610 was sweet at 70-75 mph all day-is it an effort on the bike being a single to do long distance rides and is it vibey after a while-I know a single will never run as smooth as a twin etc. I am considering an additional bike for multiple day trips but don't want a toy dual sport like the V-stoms etc. Basically I am looking at a KTM 690 and or a Husky 610-pref. is for a 610 in terms of cost and familiarity with the breed.
    Tks for your response in advance.

Cheers;

GHTE
  14. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Yep

I have done many 200 plus mile days on the 610, no issues. Yes it has some vibs but the nice thing about a DS bike is you can stand and move around some making it less tiring. It's a great DS bike. Does street AND dirt better than any other bike IMHO.
  15. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250, 2013 TR650 Terra - sold
    I believe the 610 has a counter balancer, whereas your 2006 TE450 does not.