1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

125-200cc 6CHY 16-62 / 6CHY 17-61

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by Watky, Nov 1, 2013.

1. Watky Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Wr150
    Currently running the 6CHY 16-62 needle in clip 4 (tad too rich) clip 3 (slightly too lean). so need clip 3.5
    Just ordered 6CHY 17-61 needle as they didn't have half clip washer/holder in Aus.

Have I got it correct 6CHY 17-61 needle in clip 3 will be half a clip richer then 6CHY 16-62 in clip 3
    Parts person said incorrect, but looking on here I'm sure it's correct but confused now.

Thanks for your help.
  2. Watky Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Wr150
    :confused: No one can confirm if I have ordered the correct needle for what I'm aiming for ?

There was a thread that contained a snap shot of the RM needle booklet with all the info regards the needles but I can't track it down on CF anymore

EDIT, Positive I've ordered the right needle and the spares part person at the bike shop was incorrect in saying it was wrong needle. They were saying I needed 17-63 and not the 17-61
    4-4 MACHINE TUNING - NEEDLE CLIP POSTION

Change the jet needle from 6CHY17 type to 6CHY16 type. This change will move the needle position by half to the richer side. 6CHY16 type jet needles are available as optional parts.

Another post on here says last number lower = richer higher = leaner.
  3. Aviduser Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08 cr 165
    a fair number of people have moved away from the mikuni's. As far as needle selection the suzuki "gay" needle is stuck in my mind. Aside from that I don't think many people dive into splitting c' hairs, er I mean grooves.
  4. Zomby woof Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 CR 150
  5. Watky Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Wr150
    :applause: Thankyou Zomby Woof, thats exactly the snap shots I was trying to find. Spent for ever going round in circles looking for them.

I have ordered the correct needle...

Aviduser, yeah understand most have moved to Lectron now. Thats where I was heading but all spending on the bike has been halted due to being in the middle of getting a business off the ground. Have to keep priorities in order for a while :cool:
  6. Down Under XC Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    XC250 83', WR250 87','XC150 10
    Other Motorcycles:
    WR165 10, 83 KDX 250,
    Hi watky,
    Just installed one 17 -62 and their is definitely an improvement over the standard husky needle.
    I have ordered another one for our WR 150 and a half clip as well.
    Mick Hones said needle is on backorder from Japan (2.5 weeks).

best regards,
  7. Kyle Tarry Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 WR 300, 2006 TE 610
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati Monster S2R 800
    Watky, why not just get a washer to move it up half a clip? It doesn't need to be a special part, just any washer that is about the right ID/OD/thickness. You may even be able to get one at a hardware store, if not any decent industrial supplies place will have one.

Jetsrus says that you want a 2.7mm I.D. x 6.35mm O.D. x .020” (0.5mm) thick: http://www.jetsrus.com/individual_parts/009_395_su.html

However, it probably doesn't need to be *exactly* that size. The ID can be a bit bigger, the OD can be a bit smaller, the thickness just needs to be around there.
    Motosportz likes this.
  8. Watky Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Wr150
    Down Under XC, that 17-62 is half a clip leaner then what I have at the moment 16-62. How have you found it ?
    I found clip 3 a touch lean and clip 4 a touch rich with the 16-62 but with these bikes it seems no two are the same re jetting.
    Also depends on your pilot, only noticed it was a tad lean once I dropped from a 37.5 pilot down to a 30.

Kyle, The Suzuki parts says you need the optional holder that has extra space to give room for the washer, but thanks for the info regards the washer dimension.
    Needle should hopefully be here soon, and I think it will be just as easy to switch between needles for summer/winter as it would have been to add / remove the washer.

Maybe santa can bring me a Lectron :excuseme:
  9. Down Under XC Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    XC250 83', WR250 87','XC150 10
    Other Motorcycles:
    WR165 10, 83 KDX 250,
    Hi Watky,

The washer is available at Mick Hones (I have bought two there now) and just received notice that the additional needle is in.
    "Down Under XC, that 17-62 is half a clip leaner then what I have at the moment 16-62. How have you found it ? ". Long or short explanation ???? I spent a reasonable amount of time on this site, looking at all the jetting issues, "lankydoug" was probably the best knowledge source from around 3 years ago and Walt Smith agreed as well. The consensus back then was the 6CHY17-62. For the 165 I ordered I had to rejet (shouldn't be too different from a 144), but experienced pinging, so had to rejet again. Some problems solved but pinging remained. I am currently about to change over head (6.9hrs only to a new head supplied by Walt , to correct pinging). Immediate change noticed once I installed the NEEDLE, CARBURETOR 6CHY17-62 in middle clip. Rode for around two and half hrs last weekend in hot conditions and although some spooge bike performed well, revved cleanly. Husky 195, Aust also recommends this needle.

I was originally running a 30 pilot and could not get it lean enough, so went all out and installed a 15 pilot and interestingly bike idles beautifully and can be left running for 3 - 4 mins on idle, without the usual overfueling that happens on idle for most 2 strokes . Do have to give a small amount of throttle to start though when warm. Still a bit rich overall as choke can be turned off pretty well straight away, so think that needle could go leaner. Slide is a 5. Some work to go but will persist with this needle and washer arrangment to get it right. We ride at 300metres. I gather from the threads that if altitude changes significantly the TMXX are not ideal carbies.

It is important to get the pilot right, from "lankydoug", and only then move onto needle. I will try the 15 pilot on our 150.

Hope this helps.
  10. Watky Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Wr150
    Interesting info. Seems you have found the same as "Rockdancer" did with his 165 over here, That it likes lean jetting especially the pilot jet.

Once you run the RM needles in your 150, post up where you end up at.
    I have a 27.5 pilot that I could use but was a bit worried to lean out the pilot any further.
  11. rockdancer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 WR125, 2019 FE350
    I am running a 17.5 on the 08 TMX and its fine. Down from the 27.5 I ran with the 144
    Standard needle. It doesn't sound like its fuel starved and picks up real well from down low. I don't think there are too many risks with running a leaner pilot.
    If I was really picky I could go one leaner on the slide cut.

When I put around on technical stuff its still getting a fairly fouled plug which is fairly expected on a 2 stroke
    Top end plug read is good
    Now its dialed in I don't think I will need to touch the carb again with this 165 and CR set up
    Maybe only on cool winter mornings .
    Since the cr ignition and 144 kit carb issues have been pretty non existent.
  12. Kyle Tarry Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 WR 300, 2006 TE 610
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati Monster S2R 800
    Are you sure that you're needle's not too rich down low, and you're compensating with the pilot?

Most of my experience is with the PWK, but I found that when I had the needle too rich (either wrong clip, or a needle with a smaller base diameter), I could go really lean on the pilot to "compensate." However, the bike runs subtly better with the needle in the right place and the pilot the correct size.

17.5 and 15 are quite lean, considering most guys are running around 27.5-35...