1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

125-200cc 8 miles per plug, this is getting old...

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by jmetteer, Oct 1, 2012.

1. jmetteer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TXC300 CR125 CR144
    Other Motorcycles:
    WR250F, TRANSALP
    2009 CR125

Was running fine, now it has started fouling plugs on the regular. Nothing has changed jetting wise so I am not looking to start there. It did the same thing last year, fouled 4 plugs in 40 miles. To fix it then I cleaned and dielectric greased all electrical plugs and sanded the coil mount points.

After that the plug lasted 52 engine hours, no jetting changes, nada, nothing has changed then bam started fouling plugs again. The only other symptom that leads up to the plug fouling is hard starting when the engine is cold. It will take 5-6 kicks, then fire, run slowly for a few seconds and die. Repeat 4-5 times at one kick each then it will take off go to normal high idle with the choke on and be fine for the rest of the day.

This time I did everything I did last time, and more. Now it starts fine cold, first kick today. But still fouling plugs. It runs perfect, doesn't load up, doesn't do anything odd then just blahhhhhhhhh dead.

I have done this stuff so far...

Cleaned all connections.
    Replaced plug, lots, BR9ES BR9EG BR8ES doesn't seem to matter. Weekend camping trip took 5 plugs to get through 65 miles.
    Cleaned, sanded, dielectric greased all connections.
    Changed plug
    Changed spark plug boot.
    Changed plug. 5.8 miles
    Cleaned, sanded, dielectric greased all connections.
    Added extra ground wire from the coil to the engine.
    Changed plug. 7.5 miles
    Changed complete coil.
    Changed plug. 8.5 miles
    Changed CDI...

Have not had a chance to ride it yet, maybe tomorrow. I will try to get helmet cam footage...

I have 2 complete spare bikes to test parts off of, next is the wiring harness, then stator/pulse generator. After that? There better not be an after that.

It is really frustrating having a bike that is not reliable enough to take on the trail without buying stock in NGK. The good rides the last few weeks have been on my trusty 400+ hour 2003 WR250f while my 2 sweet Huskys hold down the floor of my garage. My TXC250 lost the lower rod bearing at just under 200 hours... That doesn't bother me nearly as much as my plug fouling 125 that runs great, 8 miles at a time.

Later,
  2. Farmer John Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 WR300
    Other Motorcycles:
    92 WR250, 01 KTM 400MXC
    check your right crank seal
  3. Blakelpd5 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09 WRWB165
    Other Motorcycles:
    08 CRF450R, 1980 Suzuki Wetbike
    Have you checked your jetting? :banana:

Sorry Jake, you know way more about these bikes than me, so the only comment I have is a smart-assed one...
  4. johnnyboy Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR 125
    Other Motorcycles:
    TM 250f
    What do the reeds look like ?
  5. dfeckel Husqvarna
    AA Class

I think you should stay focused on the electrics. Try swapping out the stator assembly.
  6. wallybean Mini-Sponsor

I wonder if you have temperature dependent short in your exciter coils. Producing inconsistant spark strength when it gets hot. Just a thought.
  7. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08\013 WR250, 010 TC250, 012 TC250
    Maybe just an incredible run of bad luck with plugs?? ... Maybe try a plug someone else purchased instead of that bad lot of plugs you have encountered :) ...
    Blakelpd5 likes this.
  8. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    yeah how do they look? I have a pile of them here if you need some.
  9. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Thats where i was thinking to look as well. Swapped a stator yet?
  10. slo rider Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 WB165
    Other Motorcycles:
    2007 YZ250
    Maybe try a WR ignition. I'll swap you :popcorn:

Seriously though, have you tried a fresh batch of gas? What oil are you running and what ratio?
  11. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    he rides it all the time and uses the same oil. I think it is electrical like a overheating stator.
  12. eldridge 216 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09 wr 300, 09 txc450, 08txc 450
    Other Motorcycles:
    Suzuki dr 650, Triumph Daytona 675
    have you checked the compression on the 125, whats it reading?
  13. rancher1 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Check the reeds and crank seals first.
  14. jmetteer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TXC300 CR125 CR144
    Other Motorcycles:
    WR250F, TRANSALP
    I am going to go through the electronics first, then to the mechanical items, it is not loosing any oil or smoking badly but you may still be correct.
    I will re check my jetting just for you Blake... :D

They are black, carbon fiber petal looking things... Oh, non smart ass answer is, I looked at them 50 hours ago and they looked fine last time this issue came up. I will pull them if the electronics swap comes up empty.

Good to know, I may be bugging you to try that. Here is how they looked last time I pulled them.

[IMG]

[IMG]

You may have something there, the plug has fouled consistently the last few times within a couple hundred yards of a hot startup. Like something is heat soaking. It also seems that the harder I run it the faster they foul.

I put too many words in my original post for you didn't I Kelly... :lol: Here let me quote myself...

Spark plugs have been from 4 different sources, friends, family, NAPA, Bike shop...

Chevron super and Klotz R50 32:1 as I have been for over a year, this gas is shared between 4-5 other bikes and they have been fine.

I have not, but I will try to do that tonight. Anyone want to post the propper method? Cold engine, wide open throttle, 5 kicks? It has been so long I can't remember.

Later,
    Blakelpd5 likes this.
  15. wallybean Mini-Sponsor

Jake,

Warm engine, Kick until you don't see any further increase, throttle wide open, kill button engaged. It will never create more pressure on your meter than its actual developed compression. Kick it firmly, no wimpy stabs that are all you need to start it normally.
    jmetteer likes this.
  16. johnnyboy Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR 125
    Other Motorcycles:
    TM 250f
    Just clutching at straws here as you say the coil was changed !
    The other week I was looking at a 09 that had lost its spark and after dissconecting the kill switch it ran fine and the rider carried on for the day
    New kill switch fitted and no spark, so I looked at again at my house and the bike would spark first kick then nothing with the kill connected !
    Tested everything and all seemed fine that is till I got a huge shock from the LT side of the coil, somehow the coil was feeding the HT side back through the LT side (blue wire) fitted a new coil and all was fine
    Worth looking at perhaps
    And looking at the pic of the reeds the upper right side as viewed looks to have slightly chipped so may have gotten worse
    jmetteer likes this.
  17. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    The top right reed looks like it is starting to fray.

I think it is an ignition related issue and happens when it gets hot by your descriptions.
  18. jmetteer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TXC300 CR125 CR144
    Other Motorcycles:
    WR250F, TRANSALP
    Compression is 156lbs or so.

Not the CDI.

Swapping stator now...

Later,
  19. lankydoug Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    TM 300en
    I owned and operated an auto shop for 20+ years and only had one new spark plug that was defective. It visually looked fine but had a bad pattern on the scope and misfired from the second it was installed. This is after thousands of V-8 tune-ups. I'd bet my house that you won't/didn't get 4 plugs in a row that are bad... if China starts making spark plugs all bets are off.
    john01 and jmetteer like this.
  20. jmetteer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TXC300 CR125 CR144
    Other Motorcycles:
    WR250F, TRANSALP
    My Dad rode 11.2 miles today to test THE CDI, it was runing fine when he parked it. I started it and the plug fouled in .3 miles.

Now we swapped the stator and did a 4 mile run. Letting it cool now and will ride it again shortly.

Later,