1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

250-500cc '99 CR250 to WR tranny swap?

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by SS109, Jan 3, 2011.

1. SS109 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    '98 KDX220, '06 KX250f, '79 XL75
    Curious, there is a '99 CR250 for sale locally and was thinking of picking it up. Besides the obvious questions like is there anything in particular I should look for when checking it out, I was curious about the transmission.

See, I don't ride MX at all. I'm strictly a single track/off road kind of guy. I'm thinking the CR gears might not work so well on the ST. So, I was wondering if I could swap the whole transmission from a WR into the cases if the CR gearbox didn't work for me? Also, is this a 6 or 5 speed gearbox?

Any help and/or guidance would be greatly appreciated!
  2. wallybean Mini-Sponsor

99 was the year they went to 5 speed gear boxes in both. The WR 5 speed is an actual wide ratio 5 speed through 01. From 02 on the wr has the same tranny as the one in the CR. They still use that CR 5 speed in the 2011 WR250/300. :excuseme: The old 6 speeds swap in with some other parts thrown in. If you want the 6 speed just buy Kelly's 94WXC250.
  3. SS109 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    Thanks for the info. As for Kelly (BTW, my name too!), well, I don't know who he is, how far away he lives, or how much he wants for his bike. The one available locally is $950 obo. It looks to be well used but not abused.

So, how much can someone usually pick up the 6 speed setup for?
  4. SS109 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    Well, anyone have anything else to add? It is coming down to the wire between this '99 CR 250 and a '97 Gas Gas EC 250 so I have to make a decision soon.
  5. surfer1100 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09 WR250, Memories of past tiddlers.
    Other Motorcycles:
    TM-01 EN 125, 03 125 MX, 09 EN 155
    If the Gas Gas is in good shape I would go for that, I'm fairly sure that engine is counter balanced and already has a six speed. Could you post a pic of both.
  6. SS109 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    OK, here are some pics.

[IMG]

[IMG]
  7. surfer1100 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09 WR250, Memories of past tiddlers.
    Other Motorcycles:
    TM-01 EN 125, 03 125 MX, 09 EN 155
    Man, that's a tough call, I had an 01 CR and it was pretty good in the woods but could be a handful at times. I had planned on doing the gear swap, but the bike grenaded on me. As for gearing it was a little soft( read as prone to stalling) at crawling speeds, and i knew I couldn't cruise at 60+. The Gas Gas appears to be in good shape and is probably wired for lights. I would say it the better trail bike, but if your after power the EC won't hold a candle to the CR or a WR for that matter. If you do get the CR it is fairly easy and inexpensive to swap to the WR form.
  8. SS109 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    Well, the guy with the CR is asking $950 and the GG guy $1200.

The only reason I am after another bike is that I want something while I'm rebuilding my KDX. It will be down for a few as I'm going completely through the engine, getting RB to do his magic to the carb and head, re-valve and rebuild F&R suspensions, plastics, auto-clutch, etc. Basically, the works!. Yes, I love my KDX that much and don't plan on ever getting rid of it!

Anyways, I want something that will be as good as my KDX in the tight technical stuff.
  9. aya16 Husqvarna
    A Class

I wouldnt go to all the trouble and expence buying a used bike and changing tranny's, I would just buy what Im looking for.
    Maybe look into the klx300, that sounds like what you are looking for. A pre owned klx300 that has all the free mods is a nice st bike.
    I have one and like it a lot, you can go one better, by putting 1994 kx 250 forks on it.
    Mike