A little PNW Gifford Pinchot trail action

Discussion in 'Get togethers - Reports' started by montgob1, Oct 19, 2011.

1. montgob1 Husqvarna
    A Class

2. Clete Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '01 CR/WR 250, '13 650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    '06 Suzuki SV650 (gone)
    Gifford looks like awesome riding area. Is that a 125/144 in the video?
    Wonder if one of those would haul my 225lbs (less gear) around?
  3. montgob1 Husqvarna
    A Class

Camstyn on here is WAY bigger than you on a 125/144. The lead guy you see for about 1.2 seconds in that video is on a 125 husky.
  4. Clete Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    '06 Suzuki SV650 (gone)
    Cool, thanks
  5. typeone Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    07 TC270 + 09 WR165
    Other Motorcycles:
    08 X4 146 + 13 250RR
    man you guys have nice riding out there. great vid :thumbsup:
  6. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Gotta love the Giff. :thumbsup:
  7. montgob1 Husqvarna
    A Class

FWIW Clete, last night myself and the 125 guy in that video where night riding and on a long loose clime a guy on a KTM525 was behind us, we can lug our 125/144's so low that his bike coudnt chug at our lazy pace, we where goofing off and he caught us on the hill and had to turn around and try again because his rig wont run that slow.

for
    hatever reason husky smallbores will still pull at what seems like 1000RPM. Bang the clutch on my 144 and i can grab a couple gears on the same hill i am crauling up in first. I will probably spin out and fly off the trail into a ravine if i do that but it is entirely possible with these bikes. Motosportz (kelly) is bigger than me (165-170 no gear) and he has no issues with the small bikes.
  8. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    I'm about 200 naked and 220 geared up and those little bike will pull me up and nastiest of hills no problem. What Ben is saying but might not realize is the 125 first gear and 50+ rear sprockets (super low gearing) make a light bike crawl up everything with relative ease. Might not be the fastest bike up the hill but will almost always make the top of any nasty hill.
  9. typeone Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    07 TC270 + 09 WR165
    Other Motorcycles:
    08 X4 146 + 13 250RR
    ive been finding the same thing with the 144, it's simply amazing. i'm ~175 sans-gear. i call it 'the little goat'. thing can chug and grip so well for such a small motor. i have minor gripes about the WR ignition on fast open ripping sweepers, but in the tight woods, the thing never gets out of control.

favorite dirt bike i've ever ridden hands down. currently running 12/50 gearing + standard mods.
  10. montgob1 Husqvarna
    A Class

im running 13/52 gearing, i am thinking about running a fly wheel weight though, my mid hit is a bit much, takes a lot more clutch work than jakes stock 125 to keep the trials tire from spinning out sometimes.
  11. wallybean Mini-Sponsor

Ben,

When you go to the other top end your mid will smooth out/bottom gets better. That is the advantage of the high compression. It will have a little more in both places just will feel smoother.

The Steahly FWW is pretty nice. It doesn't have a huge impact like a larger weight on the bigger flywheels but does tame the hit a bit, trading some wheel spin for a little more traction. The CR's smaller flywheel just doesn't allow you to get more weight spinning farther from the crankshaft center. I mounted one up on my 165 as it was still a bit of a handfull in really tight steep rocky sections. It is also pulling 14x49 gearing there just to give you a comparison of the bottom pull/mid hit. Tractors up just fine but one slip of the wrist and my talent fails.:)
  12. jmetteer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TXC300 CR125 CR144
    Other Motorcycles:
    WR250F, TRANSALP
    Some photo's from the ride...

Ben here yes the pic is rotated, I should fix it. It is much steeper than this.

[IMG]

This shows it better... Larry, 52 and still completely rails.
    [IMG]
    It rules up here!
    [IMG]

[IMG]
    Husky country...
    [IMG]
    Even saw a high flying squirel...
    [IMG]
    Heaven...
    [IMG]

Later,
  13. Clete Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    '06 Suzuki SV650 (gone)
    Very awesome. It'd be cool to ride up there with some of ya, that know the area.
  14. bigjon Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1996 WXC410 2000 TE410 2008 TE510
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha FJR 1300 Polaris 500
    Great vid . One of these days I will take mine up that a way and ride too. thansk keep it up
  15. montgob1 Husqvarna
    A Class

The new camera is nice :) Got any of me laying in that gully last night?