1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

All 2st A sad sight at my nearest KTM/Husky dealer

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by jsleeper, Jul 20, 2011.

1. jsleeper Husqvarna
    AA Class

I stopped by my nearest Husky dealer (Santa Cruz, CA) for a chain guide for my bike. This dealer admits he is more of a KTM guy (and his shop reflects this with all the orange and KTMs in stock). Sitting in the front of the shop is an '09 WR 300 discounted to $5150. This bike has been at his shop since we bought our '09 WR125. The poor WR300 has dust on it, peeling decals, and only a TE310 for a buddy.

I am sure this dealer pushes the KTM 2 strokes over the Husky, but think this is an example of the work Husky needs to do if they want to compete with KTM. Part of me hopes this dealer discounts this bike enough for me to buy it. At the same time, I hope he is having better success selling the other Husky models. I would hate to see him stop selling Huskies altogether.

JS
  2. mnb Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE310 . . . . 2003 TE610e
    I bought a TE310 from him in February. They had more huskies on display a few weeks ago. But yeah, they're a KTM shop. All the accessories, apparel and posters are KTM. No Husky extras at all.

Their mechanic is pretty good. He fixed up my 610 very well last year.
  3. Gotlabs Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    12 CR144 X 2!
    That's not a bad deal on the 300.
  4. jsleeper Husqvarna
    AA Class

I agree with you. The dealer is great. Even though they are oriented toward KTM, they did have my part in stock. He also setup our WR125 really well when we bought it. He would not let it go without getting the jetting close. He also talked about the reliability of Husky 2Ts.

Husky needs to expand their 2T line if they want to compete with KTM.

JS
  5. columbia510 Husqvarna
    AA Class

I purchased my leftover 09 TE from him last year for what I believe was a deal I just couldn't pass up. I had to drive a few hours to get there before he closed shop and he waited until an extra half hour after the store was closed. I like the guy, except I was turned off by all the orange cool-aid they sell.
  6. Darkside Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none left
    Other Motorcycles:
    beta, ktm, aprilia
    I bought an 07 SMR 510 and a DukeII from there. Now I take the drive to Vacaville. I prefer a more Husky minded shop.
  7. Parh 474 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '73 Cr125, '06 Cr125/144
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ossa, Bultaco, Puch, Maico, AJS, Yam
    The Husky dealer near me is mainly a Harley dealer. I feel like the odd one out when I go in there and ask for Cr125 parts. It's weird to to see leather high heels with fringe on display in a motorcycle shop.
    They got a new Wr250 on sale for $3695 though.
  8. Clete Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '01 CR/WR 250, '13 650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    '06 Suzuki SV650 (gone)
    Is that Simi Valley Harley in Moorpark?
  9. mnb Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    I go to Moore's because they're just over 30 minutes over the hill from me. Dan is a great guy and I love his shop, but Vacaville is a 90 minute drive in no traffic. I did swing by on the way up to Santa Rosa last week (and it was quite a bit out of my way) to stop in and chat, pick up a sprocket and some miscellaneous goodies. Nothing really essential, but I try to spend money in my local shops to help support them. Times are tough.

Anyone familiar with Zoom Cycle Accessories in Santa Clara might be interested to know that they're downsizing their shop to 2/3 it's former size. A wall is going up and the landlord is going to lease the new area to another business. It's sad that they have to lose the space, but on the plus side, it's nice to know they're not folding like so many other shops have in the Bay Area over the last two years.
  10. Muddy Waters Husqvarna
    AA Class

My "local" (three and a half Hours away...) Husqvarna dealer, a large motorcycle shop that sold brands like Suzuki, Kawasaki, Ducati, MV Agusta, Bombardier sea doo’s and of course our own Husky brand

Two years ago, I've bought the lust Husqvarna item that my "local" Husky dealer carried; it was a black T shirt with the Husky gun sight logo on it...

few month ago I pulled into the dealership parking lot, only to find it deserted with a sign on the door that says they are no longer in business

:( I would say as long as the doors are still open y’all are doing fine
  11. Parh 474 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '73 Cr125, '06 Cr125/144
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ossa, Bultaco, Puch, Maico, AJS, Yam
    Yep, although they call themselves Tri-County Motorsports. They sell Husabergs, too. They're very interesting to look at.
  12. Clete Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '01 CR/WR 250, '13 650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    '06 Suzuki SV650 (gone)
    Thank you
  13. fletchman45 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

If you were a dealer and made more on orange bikes then red/white ones which would you push to sell???? Now factor in the fact that the orange crap is cheaply built and requires more parts to maintain then a Husqvarna and BINGO!!! I was told this myself years ago buy a dealer who quit selling Husky's!! In 2004 I won Vet A (On a CR 250 Husky) The KTM guy at the awards banquet said if you had been on a KTM you would be getting $500.00. I simply replied, if you gave me 2 free KTM's to ride for the year I would rather see them burning in my driveway. This is the truth. I simply HATE orange. But that is the problem. Husky also needs better PR with the magizines and needs to throw more perks their way. (Alot of people really listen to what they say!) Fact is I wish I worked for Husqvarna. Because I would do the best I could to promote the brand. I remember in around 92 or 93, I was pointing out why a freind of mine should have a Husky instead of his YZ (hec Husky's had dished out bolts all the way back then if my mind serves me correctly) I put on a darn good sales pitch and he said holy cow are you sure you don't work for Husky. I thought to myself I wish. Anyways BMW if I (I mean we) must put up with your involvement then please do ALL that you can to make money yourself and promote the brand that we on this website are loyal to!!! And KTM guys, be glad some one bailed them out in 1991 when they were filing bankrupt and were just about done (god I wish I could have drove that stake........ whoops sorry got off course for a moment!!) look where they are at now!!! If the italians had done what they should they would.........................ok ok I would need hours to properly finish all this..................
    HuskyWR300 likes this.
  14. jsleeper Husqvarna
    AA Class

I agree with you for the most part. I do not have the hatred for KTM like you, but think Husky needs to improve their PR to compete with KTM and others. Husky also needs to put more money into 2 strokes. If I were a dealer, I would stock the most popular bikes. KTM is much more popular than Husky. KTM has branded itself as the offroad king of motorcycling. Every 2 bit poser offroad racer buys a KTM to fit in with all the other posers on the road. This is directly comparable to what Harley Davidson has done for cruisers.

When we bought our WR125, the dealer told me the margin was very low, then we got very few hours to replace the PV, carb slide, and pipe. No wonder why Husky dealers push other brands. They make little to no money on the bike, and do not get properly reimbursed to fix factory mistakes.

JS
  15. dartyppyt Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    17 TE 150, 82CR 500
    Other Motorcycles:
    82 125,250,430&500 79 390 83 250
    Then you have the dealers in the us dropping like flys, even on the other brands.
  16. Valhalla Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2015 TE 300
    The economy, gas prices, dwindling areas to ride....all making it more difficult for the motorized recreation world. Husky/BMW do need to step up
    the owner experience now, to make it in a modern day recreational industry. When you buy a KTM, you are inundated with extras and information
    on all things KTM. They let you know they appreciate your business. When I bought my Husky in 2009, that was it. The dealer handed me my headlight
    assembly and OD for the WR300 and away I went. Never heard a peep from Husqvarna until just recently when they sent the Ride More Journal.
    It doesn't seem like the dealers get much for PR and advertising materials. Good gosh, just finding a place that sells the entire line of Husqvarna apparel
    is like pulling teeth. Those cool jerseys you see the Euro riders wearing......good luck trying to obtain one those. They need to promote and get this
    routine stuff flowing. Dealers have to want to sell something exciting. At $5900 bucks my WR was a bargain. They got the price/performance part down
    now they just need to work on the attention to details. Ever see a Romaniacs or Erzberg event/video? Sea of Orange with few other colors sprinkled in. The Euro
    market is huge....the US market too. Husky/BMW has a foot in the door again, and did it during some tough times. They need to go the extra mile now and
    knock the big orange door off it's hinges...

Valhalla
    454x, hogwackr and WHITEROCKET5.9 like this.
  17. fletchman45 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

I understand. The reason I pay a little more and drive to Hall's (11 hours away) I get great sales and service and my bike is set up, and I can pick it up with my suspension done, and if anything does go wrong, I know Halls will take care of it! It's not so much of a hatred thing with KTM, I'm envious that and inferior brand has managed to become mainstream when it is my favorite motorcycle brand that should be in their place. And they would be if they had done a few things different. Anyways I could babble on for hours about this and bore you to death. I always loved the New Orleans Saints, and I lived to see them win a superbowl, so I know anything is possible!!
  18. mnb Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    BTW... you might want to look at the results from the recent 2011 Romaniacs... :banana:

I agree, Husky needs more PR, more availability of apparel... more PRESENCE. But at least they're making good bikes and showing well in events across the world. Gotta give em credit for that.

Great Job, Husky! Now get BMW to give you some marketing funds and let the world know what great stuff you make!
  19. jsleeper Husqvarna
    AA Class

I think I am going to buy that leftover '09 WR300 at the dealer. I am going to put some orange plastics on it. I will place a little set of those wind up chattering novelty teeth in the airbox to mimic a starter that does not work. I will put a little puddle of water under the bike and some dry ice to indicate boiling over. I will get some orange riding gear. I will methodically walk around my bike and stand with my chest out for long periods of time in front of my bike. I will paint a big KTM on my truck and tattoo KTM to my kids. Then I will sit back and let all the people praise the new "prototype" KTM 300. I will listen to all the praise for the great technology and super hardcore trail superiority the bike must have.

JS
    fletchman45 likes this.
  20. fletchman45 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

That is great, but beware for when I see orange in the woods, BAAAADDDDDD things can happen. I think the old out dated 09 300 Husky is still better then a new (orange) bike! And after they all tell you how much they like your special prototype and wonder why it does not boil over or do other strange things, tell them the real truth! They would have known had they not been brainwashed from birth, beginning with their Orange KTM Stryder pushbike!! I got a better idea I will use reverse thinking with my 1 1/2 year old son, 4 times a year I will put on and orange KTM jersey and pants with a Orange pumpkin mask and scare the living @#$#)@)## out of him!!! Then I can be sure whether I'm dead or alive he will NEVER ride ORANGE Who says the boggie man isn't real?