1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

125-200cc A scare with the WR125

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by jsleeper, Mar 19, 2011.

1. jsleeper Husqvarna
    AA Class

Before we head out to ride last weekend I fire up the WR125 at the house, because my wife said it sounded funny at the end of our day on the previous ride. I go to give it the usual lazy little stab expecting it to fire like it always does. It does not fire after about 10 kicks. So, I immediately think the plug is fouled. I pop a new plug in and push in the choke. It fires up, but is revving super high. At this point I am getting nervous. The last time we rode, I rode it very hard for about 90 minutes keeping up with some friends on bigger bikes. I am trying to make it to 100 hours (I have only replaced the rings since new) before doing a complete top-end. I turn to my wife and try to warm her up to the idea I may have to do a rebuild, and might as well convert to a 144 (something I have been trying to talk her into...she does not want more power). I double check the gas is on, check the throttle for full return, check for slack in the cable, and check to make sure there are not any obvious air leaks. I fire it up again and it still is revving high, but not high enough to worry about damaging the motor. I run it for about 15 seconds then shut it off. I check to make sure the idle screw is tight. I step away from the bike and think for a minute, then decide to check the air filter.

Sure enough, as I pull off the seat I see the air filter hanging off of its mount. Then I see the air filter bolt sticking into the carb. slide. Now I know why it was revving so high. Then the scary part. The washer is not on the bolt. I immediately think it went into the carb. or motor and will need to be fished out before it does serious damage, if it had not already. Luckily, after pulling out the air filter I see the washer in the bottom of the air filter box.

I am relieved, then I look into the carb. and see about 2mm thick dirt drenched in gas on the slide. I immediately think about how dusty it was the last time we rode. You know the type of dust when you have a brown beard after you ride. This is not good!

I take the carb. off and clean it several times. I clean the air box, etc., etc. I put it all back together and fire the bike. It sounds and rides fine.

But...now what? We have about 2 months before red sticker season (and approximately the 100 hr mark). I guess we will find out if the little motor can handle a blast of dirt without serious damage. I will keep you posted.

Oh...the bolt came loose because: 1) i did not tighten it enough, or 2) I rode it so hard it vibrated loose (haha...very unlikely) In any case, I walked around to all the bikes and tightened all the air filter bolts.

JS
  2. HxcEnduRo Husqvarna
    AA Class

deffenetly sounds like a good excuse for a 144 kit.. if you dont can i use the same story for my wife?
  3. moto66 Husqvarna
    A Class

Does the 125 have the wing nut on the end of the filter? I've fitted a K&N on my 510 and know that you can't wind these up too tight for fear of distorting the filter. Maybe a smear of threadlock on the bolt may do the trick.
  4. jsleeper Husqvarna
    AA Class

It does have the wing nut. I also just get the bolt snug so I do not distort the filter. I guess I need to tighten it a bit more. I have never had a filter fall off.
    JS