1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

All 2st Aftermarket shifters coming loose...

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by PowerKord, Sep 25, 2013.

1. PowerKord Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2008 WR 250 Sold
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 Sherco SE-R 250
    I have replaced my stock shifter with an RFX and a Driven shifter. They both seem to get loose very quickly and I can barely get them tight enough to eliminate the slop. What's the deal???
  2. K5PL5 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 WR300
    Other Motorcycles:
    03 Suzuki SV1000/73 Honda CB350
    Same with my MSR shifter. Its aluminum.
  3. Blakelpd5 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09 WRWB165
    Other Motorcycles:
    08 CRF450R, 1980 Suzuki Wetbike
    Same with Hammerhead. Lasted two rides, and it wouldn't shift anymore. Slipping on splines.. I emailed hammerhead and they wont reply...

Replaced with a stocker, and no more problems..
  4. MOTORHEAD Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 YAMAHA YZ250
    My stock lever does that, so I use a longer bolt with a nyloc nut on it. I tighten the bolt down as much as I can ( stainless ), then tight the nut down as tight as possible. And I check it often.
    MotoMarc36 and flyingbob like this.
  5. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Get a steel one that will fit on there. Also make sure there is a gap after tightening it. If not remove it and us a circular fiber wheel to remove some of the gap and make it wider. Aluminum shifters always seems to stretch to the point where they don't hold anymore. Steel shifters seem cheap and heavy but last much longer and can be bent back many times. I like steel shifters.
  6. MotoMarc36 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 CR144, 04 TC450, 04 TC250, CR50
    Other Motorcycles:
    Many. Too many.
    Solid advice, the cause of most issues. Also Motorhead's advice of a longer bolt with a nut is a good call. I check my shifter bolt and kickstarter bolt pretty much every ride.
  7. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Pretty standard for a lot of people on any brand making me think that shaft needs to be about 2x the size it is. Its somthing you smash your foot on with little tactfulness.
  8. PowerKord Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2008 WR 250 Sold
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 Sherco SE-R 250
    I think I may have found the problem with the shifters I mentioned in my first post. I put both shifters side by side and found that they both have a deep notch worn into them as you can see in this photo. These shifters make contact with one of the bolts on the clutch cover. I filed away some material on my RFX shifter to add some clearance at the offending clutch bolt and remounted it. I only have been able to get out and ride once, but it's still nice and tight. I hope this is the cure. DSCF0560.JPG
  9. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Just just bought a cheap steel YZ250 (same spline) shifter off ebay I'm going to modify. The steel splines should not come loose and I can bend it back when it bends. I ride gnarly woods and would rather have the bike weigh slightly more than have failures.
  10. Huskymad Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    07 TE 450
    I had the same problem, coat the inside of your shifter splines with Loctite retaining compound. (I used 609) Put your shifter on, tighten up and your set. Mines been good for 50 plus hours.
  11. outdoorsman166 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2008 WR250/1987 430xc
    Cheap steel is the way to go. For around 10-15 bucks you cant go wrong. I have never once had mine come loose on any of my bikes. And how much weight are you really saving? I mean really......lol its a dirt bike lets not overthink it
  12. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    And that weight is about as low on the bike as it could be. And you can bend it back if bent, and is does not strip. Steel has it's place on a DB.