1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

125-200cc Air filter cage upgrade?

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by flyingbob, Sep 7, 2013.

1. flyingbob Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    01&02WR360_02WR250_02CR250_12WB165
    Other Motorcycles:
    01 VOR400_07 TM450_22 GG250_07 Tuono
    Has anyone found a better air filter cage? Doesn't take any pressure at all to move the plastic and put my finger into the airbox. I have four bikes and they all barely fit the airbox mating surface.
  2. Aviduser Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08 cr 165
    Haven't heard of anything. I just tried to push my finger between the filter and air boot for your sake. There's no way.

I know you own several bikes but are you sure the filter is mounted correctly? I always feel around the filter to make sure it's seated correctly.
  3. flyingbob Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    No doubt that's on correctly. Both of the 2012 125s I have are the same. When I run my fingers around the edge to make sure the filter has stayed in place, I can easily get a finger tip in there. Especially the right side towards the bottom. Look at your cage installed without the filter the next time you clean/change it. I believe I'm going to rivet a band around it to give it a wider face.
  4. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Odd I have owned a million huskies and never had an issue with fitment. You can put your finger between the cage and air box when fitted? Your ether not lining it up right or something is WAY bent up (Cage or airbox mating surface).
  5. flyingbob Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Haven't had a million, just 19. Bought these two new, cage is identical to the one on the 09, the 01 and like every other one I've owned. Really, I was shocked the time I felt it. I've always made sure the foam stayed in place after locating the cage and starting the screw. Then tighten her up! Got to thinking once, that isn't much real estate to spare, then pushed on it to check. Was able to roll the foam into the airbox. It works, but it's too close in my opinion. Then I checked all of the bikes. All the same. Just my thoughts. Plastics not deformed (warped) and not sure how that metal box area would get bent! :)
  6. Aviduser Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08 cr 165
    Got time to post a video? I'm quite puzzled as well.

I've owned an 04 and 08 cr 125. Don't think they changed the airbox in the newer models but could be wrong
  7. Blakelpd5 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09 WRWB165
    Other Motorcycles:
    08 CRF450R, 1980 Suzuki Wetbike
    I haven't noticed that issue on mine either, but here is how I do my filters, and that may or may not help you.

When I oil them (with no-toil red), I wring them out, and install it immediately and let it dry overnight before using it. Next time I go to remove it, the filter has glued itself to the metal ring around the airbox, and is kinda a pain to get off, but I know it is sealed VERY well, and there have been no signs of mud/dust getting past it.
  8. flyingbob Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    No that's not what I'm saying. My point is that the OD of the plastic is too close to the ID of the metal seating ring. I've put these things on forever, like you guys, but the day I was able to move the plastic was the day I said it wasn't good enough. I had always just felt for the foam to be in place under the plastic and called it good.
  9. flyingbob Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    I know that drill. :cheers:
    Blakelpd5 likes this.
  10. Zomby woof Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 CR 150
    Same here.
  11. Aviduser Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08 cr 165
    I see what you're saying now. But I don't think it is a cause for concern.

Under operation the filter will hardly move. It will never see the force that you exert on it by pushing your finger.

I'd say use some rim grease and forget about it. Ill admit its not the best airbox/filter seal I've seen. But I've never heard/seen any issues.
  12. AWM Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR150
    Other Motorcycles:
    Orange
    Grease ring round the edge after oiling clean filter.Little messy but a must do to any dirt bike up north with the three R's,rocks,ruts,n roots.Combined with the mud its gota be done atleast for peace of mind.
    I don't see the problem your have'n with my 13 wr125,but I still put that ring of grease on the filter.
    When its gas cap deep in a mud hole I just feel better.:thumbsup:
  13. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many

yes the notoil does seem to glue them on. I have never had an issue with them not sealing well and letting dirt pass.
  14. typeone Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    07 TC270 + 09 WR165
    Other Motorcycles:
    08 X4 146 + 13 250RR