Another Lectron Install/test

Discussion in 'EFI/carb' started by firebolter, Feb 4, 2013.

1. firebolter Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    06SM610
    Other Motorcycles:
    13TE300Berg,07KTM525EXC,13 HusWR165
    Bike-2013 TE300 Berg. Sharing here since alot of you are interested and I have been following the whole metering rod craze on this forum as well as the others!

The install. Straight forward and like the stock carb. Fits perfect in the boot and intake. If you use the stock (KTM in this case) cable, you may/will have to remove the thumb adjustment/lock nut at the throttle side of the cable. Bottom the cable out all the way in to the throttle housing. You need that extra cable length for proper play in the throttle when everything is all connected up. I also took the lock nut off the carb brass fitting in the carb top, bottomed out the brass fitting in the carb top to also aide in some "slop" or slack in the throttle when everything is all connected up. Worked like a charm, gave me the exact 1/8 inch slop in the throttle thereby knowing the slide is all the way down with margin at full closed. Kevin has some new motion pro cables in the works for the Domino throttles and I am gonna change to one of those in the next few weeks, but stock worked well once I got it all figured out.

The test. Go up to a friend's farm on Sat, it's a balmy 11 degrees. Put in some 93 in the tank. First kick was not a full kick. Second kick nothing, look down and the fuel bowl (which is clear plastic btw) has fuel in it. Third kick and vrooom, she fires right up and goes into an idle. I had the choke on as well. let it idle for about 15 seconds and turn off the choke and it is sitting there holding a perfect clean idle. I was impressed. I ride up into the field and do some 1-4th gear runs. This is a brand new bike, so this is also the break in ride. That's right, I put a new carb on a new bike before I ever rode it once! The ground was frozen solid and slippery as all hell! it was damn near like ice skating at times. Warm the bike up and adjust the idle, then we go off into the woods and ride the loop. lots of mud on the crossings with sloppy slippery uphills. Lots of trees. bike worked great. Cleared everything on the first loop in second or third gear. Second loop my hands starting getting cold towards the end of the loop and I was ready to call it a day.

Bike pulls easily and runs up from low to mid super cleanly and evenly. It is very much "electric" like in the way the powerband feels. While I did not do anything over 1/2 thottle in the trail, I was pulling 3rd gear with easy roll on even on the uphills with little clutch. The bike never loaded up nor needed to be cleared out, it just pulled. It would even lay there on it side and idle away if the wheel could spin when I laid it on it's side when my footing slipped over a multiple tree crossing section.

So far, no need to adjust it, it felt about as good and easy to ride as I could want, but I am gonna pull the plug and give it a look when it warms up some. If anything, I think I may find it a tad rich but we'll see what what the plug looks like first. from a riding/running perspective, it is fine. no blubbery properties anywhere in the powerband. nice smooth consistent pull across the powerband. I did run it up into the PV transition a few time in 5th gear, man on that frozen field it was a handfull. It flat rips when the PV hits. I can't wait till I can get into some good loamy hook ups! Once the bike was warmed up and idle was properly adjusted, the bike would fire on the touch of the button. No throttle, just hit the button and it quickly went to idle and would just sit there and idle.

So I am sold. Considering it ran like this with no set up on my part, makes me a very happy camper. I may adjust the needle in the future, but for now, I have a bike that starts easy and runs cleanly without a bunch of carb tuning. I like that.
    454x likes this.
  2. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    I have many rides on my Lectron now and it is the image of consistent. Runs perfect all the time. I never think about the carb any more, used to think about it all the time. After you get some rides swap back over to the stock carb and let us know.
  3. firebolter Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    06SM610
    Other Motorcycles:
    13TE300Berg,07KTM525EXC,13 HusWR165
    I used to "worry" about my fuel pump all the time, will this ride be the ride? Now, no more worrying, just ride and enjoy the ride. No way I am gonna run the stock carb. At my age now, once I get a bike set up where it runs good the way i like it, I just want to change oil, adjust valves (4stk) if needed and ride them! Wrenching and fiddling I like less and less!
    OlderHuskyRider and boisedave like this.
  4. patrickaqefd Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    te449
    Other Motorcycles:
    crf20x
    It would be nice to see some video's of the/some 300's with the lectron installed, if you, or anyone has some.
    I could imagine the power would be very refined, with bucket loads of torque.