1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

250-500cc Another new Husky owner, 2012 WR300.

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by scson24, Jan 22, 2013.

1. scson24 Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 WR300
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 KTM 300 XC-W
    I just bought my first Husky from a dealer in Miami, Fla. and it will be shipped to S. Carolina in a couple of weeks. I know this is a redundant question, but I want to be sure that I have all of my T's crossed and I's dotted before I break the bike in and start riding it seriously. I have been reading any and all threads regarding WR250's & 300's looking for advice. I just don't want to screw up what sounds like a great motorcycle. What do I need to do maintenance or set-up wise to ensure my new baby lives a long and healthy life? Any and all advice will be greatly appreciated!
  2. pvduke Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    tripple-hondo hoosk...
    Other Motorcycles:
    dozens of them, kicked to the curb
    the OM carb settings are too lean for serious ripping. try:
    430-440 main
    45 pilot
    GAY needle? #4 or #5 (down from top)
    slide - 4.0
    1.0 to 1-1/4 turn out on the AS

this beast likes gas. check yer fluids first! do a few 2-3 mins idles on the stand. let her cool stone cold between same. then gingerly ride some to get your set up and pedals they way ya want. then go out for a short romp and check that plug after 5-10 mins after its warmed up. do not let it get lean. check yer low speed/midrang stuff first. if it looks out go for a short blast on the main in 3rd, chop kill and read the plug. motor makes really good freindly grunty power with a nice bark and rip and will do so on the cusp of too lean so read that plug. do not let either slow or WFO circuits get lean. check all yer nuts n bolts before and after rides including sprockets and spokes. wear a moto boot starting it or youll wish you did. put a tank or two thru it then recheck yer sag. i run my fork with 1 and 1/2 rings showing. i teflon wrap under my perches too so they spin in (some) crashes. call the undertaker and let him know yer dying with a smile on yer face and itl take him a week to wipe it off. and get longer sleeves for yer shirts...yer gonna need 'em...braooooooop!
  3. pvduke Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    tripple-hondo hoosk...
    Other Motorcycles:
    almost forgot! get some compressor air, blow of the left grip (clutch side), scuff the bar under it, glue and wire it back on. i found this lil goodie the night before my first ride. foop! came right off in my hand tossing it up on the stand. seems tight at first. but it aint!!!

someone needs to have a chat with the drunken glue fairy at the factory.

momma mia!
    Motosportz likes this.
  4. K5PL5 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 WR300
    Other Motorcycles:
    03 Suzuki SV1000/73 Honda CB350
    Make sure the dealer checked your primary nut on the crank or bad things can happen inside the motor.
    No offense to the guys on this forum, cuz they provide some great info and tech stuff, but feel out the carb for yourself before you go buying flatslide carbs or metering rod carbs or jet kits etc. My WR runs phenominally with the jetting as is and a Pro Cicuit pipe and silencer. Also dont mess with your suspension sag or settings too much until the bike has a few hours on it.
    Make yourself a poor mans sidestand tether with a piece of innertube and zipties or buy a ktm one.
    If you feel the clutch pull is too heavy check out my posts on the extended clutch actuator. Makes a difference.
    Enjoy the motor. Its magical.
    Motosportz likes this.
  5. scson24 Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 WR300
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 KTM 300 XC-W
    WOW! Now I'm scared! I will have to call the dealer and ask him about the nut. I will have to trust him or check it myself as I live 12 hours from Miami. How involved is checking it? I do not want to even put gas in this thing until it is ready to go.
  6. K5PL5 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 WR300
    Other Motorcycles:
    Wel, call him and see if he's done it. It could be a matter of destroying your bottom end. Its not too hard. You can see it from the trans filler hole if you take a flashlight but you wont be able to touch it without removing the water pump cover and stuff. If youre alright with engine stuff its not hard but your engine IS still under a short warranty...
  7. ajaxauto Husqvarna
    Pro Class

you know what works better then glue Spray can paint any color just spray a little paint in the grip and on the bar
    push on the grip you will have to cut it off because it will never come loose Works every time for me
    some people use hair spray also
  8. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Great advice in here on a great bike. Enjoy your new ride.

Oh, check that nut yourself then you will always know how. :thumbsup:
    Glenn haynes likes this.
  9. K5PL5 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 WR300
    Other Motorcycles:
    Always check nuts for prostate cancer as well :cool:
  10. pvduke Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    tripple-hondo hoosk...
    Other Motorcycles:
    yup- paint thing does work. used to use hair-spray too, but they went to water base instead of laquer based or something cuz they kept coming off when they got wet. really strange. but yeh paint works too. good tip forgot about that one!
  11. Crocus Paper Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Scorpa 300 Aprilia Dorsoduro 750
  12. K5PL5 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 WR300
    Other Motorcycles:
    Spray adhesive I used for carpeting on a subwoofer box I built works excellent! Ya gotta be quick tho! That and safety wiring your grips and youre golden.
  13. justpinit Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 wr 300
    Other Motorcycles:
    93 kx 125 with a kdx 200 engine.
    Definitely check jetting.Mine seized w 11 miles on it! Also the bolt that holds the star shaped thing to the end of the shift drum was loose on mine, get that checked. I think it's a allen bolt. The shock linkage has greese fittings on it, hit em after pressure washing or every two rides. Unbolt the lower shock bearing and greese it every few rides, along w the swing arm bearings. They take a beating and will need it. image.jpg image.jpg
    This is what you get if you don't after 13 hare scrambles and some riding in between .Venhill clutch cable get it at least 2 in shorter.Suspension wise, all I did was buy spring for my weight 195 lbs. I'm happy w suspension I race b class. Quite a bit of rocky,rooty races, and some faster flowing stuff. I think it handles everything well. Only complaint is when hitting really deep sand whoops the rear gets maxed out and kicks to the side. Prob could turn high speed in and be good though.i set my rebound so it is fast/not a lot of damping. Just shy of springy, great for traction.The engine is mechanically solid.That sums up my experiences for a year of riding my 12 wr 300.Good luck!!
  14. justpinit Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 wr 300
    Other Motorcycles:
    93 kx 125 with a kdx 200 engine.
    One more thing. Brp solid upper clamp handle bar riser mounts, they replace the rubber ones in the top tripple clamp . You will figure out why as soon as you go down and see the handle bars twisted!
  15. Crocus Paper Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Scorpa 300 Aprilia Dorsoduro 750
    Just thought of something else. First time you take the tank off, undo the top rear shock bolt and spray some corrosion inhibiter up inside the frame main tube, preferably stuff that dries like wax so it stays in place. Mine was a year old when I bought it and I was horrified at the rust up there when I saw it.

Don't let all this stuff put you off, a lot of it would apply to any bike you bought, they are great bikes.
  16. K5PL5 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 WR300
    Other Motorcycles:
    U
    Yeh I figured that one out two weeks ago when a ping pinged off two trees.
  17. K5PL5 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 WR300
    Other Motorcycles:
    What he said.. Ive done alot of these types of upgrades/repairs/maintenance/preventative maintenance to my Yamahas, Honda, KTM, etc.
  18. dartyppyt Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    17 TE 150, 82CR 500
    Other Motorcycles:
    82 125,250,430&500 79 390 83 250
    You call fer an undertaker Pv?
  19. dartyppyt Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    17 TE 150, 82CR 500
    Other Motorcycles:
    82 125,250,430&500 79 390 83 250
    Gorilla glue. Put on bars, wet grips with water, slide on and wipe excess glue off around donut ends.

Let sit overnight. Watch you don't get glue to close to throttle tube and casting.

Oh, clean ur fingers with thinner or you'll be wearing it for a week.
  20. pvduke Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    tripple-hondo hoosk...
    Other Motorcycles:
    i only glue/wire the left grip on. gorilla glue is awesome, too hard to get off though! and yes, i have a local funeral home on retainer that has lots n lots of "smile-away" in stock.

cuz we got a stripper bar down the street and, well, whiskey, old farts, ya know...*gichk!*, whomp.

hello 911? :busted: