Another POD MOD

Discussion in 'TR650' started by Bluff Boitjie, Jul 17, 2024.

1. Bluff Boitjie Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra 650
    I was also on the fence about doing the "POD MOD", and after reading a few of these threads and watching that video, I decided to go for it. I was chuffed that all I needed to remove was the red side plastic cover and the small black cover around the fuel cap. I purchased the 90° silicone bend 2.25" elbow Part # SIL000360 and the 2 stage Uni foam air filter UP-6229AST from Amazon. I had a piece of PVC pipe laying around which was just shy of 57mm(2.25") so cut a small piece 4cm long to be exact. I then used this piece of Plastic pipe to join the filter to the silicone bend. The filter and bend as they come are too big to fit inside the air box, so trim the length of your 90° bend from both sides to fit. The rubber flange that sits on your intake can be pulled out by a long nose plier, just use a bit of finesse. The 90° bend fits perfectly over the intake. I then oiled my filter and installed it into the airbox. Remember to drill 2 x 5mm holes in the base of your airbox(at the lowest point) to prevent any moisture/oil build up.When you try to close the air box with the piece you just cut off, you will notice that it does'nt join perfectly. Apply pressure on the lid as you screw the screws down. There will be a gap which is left from the sawing, I sealed this with some masking tape, mearly for asthetics. I do allot of dirt riding and I am really impressed with the results. Not a single grain of sand or sign of dust ingress what so ever. I have kept my original paper filter in place as this will collect most of the dust and can be blown out after each dirt ride. I am dissapointed I never made a video of the installation, but did take a few photos. The entire installation only took me 3 - 4 hours, so there you have it. One happy rider, and an even happier Husky!! I have inserted a few pics, some mine, some others from Cafe Husky members(I hope they are cool with it).

Find a used coke can and cut out a flat piece as a barrier between the fuel tank and the airbox. Trust me you will thank me later! Start your incision exactly half way between the 2 screws and follow the edge of the airbox until the curve bit starts to straighten out.
    20240620_101622.jpg

I have removed the black rubber gasket from the intake to expose the lip for the bend to slide over. Make sure you clean out the intake and the airbox before installing the POD. Make sure you don't pull on your accellerator and let all the debris fall into your intake. I used a vacuum cleaner to suck up all the saw shavings.
    20240620_101643.jpg

The finished product should look something like this. This image is with the entire air box exposed for illustration purposes. Courtesy, Keynamics in the Philippines. These guys are fantastic at sorting out Dash clusters, ECU issues and anything else electronic on our the Terra/Strada 650.
    Pod mod 87648.jpg

This picture is more or less what your finished product should reseble. I never used the black foam tape for my edges, I only applied the masking tape once the lid was screwed back on. This chap obviously used a different type of rubber bend and pod filter. I guess one could customise the filter anyway you like, keeping within the parrameters of the airbox. Ive even seen a K&N cone filter on the end of the pipe.
    Air filter pod mod12.jpg