1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

125-200cc Another possible 125 big bore option

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by Motosportz, Oct 19, 2009.

1. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    A few years ago i had master engine builder Russ Fletcher port the head on my 300 bore bore conversion. That bike RIPPED. Today I was reading about Eric Gores 144 kit and thought i would call Russ and see if he would do something like this as i really like the guy and he did fantastic work for me on the 300. He said no problem, might be able to do bigger. So he is researching it and i will know in the next few days. I'll let you know what i find.
  2. wade195 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Now that would be cool. Can you imagine a 200?

Hmm

Doug
  3. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Not going to get that but we will see what he can come up with.
  4. john01 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Hey I am all eyes. I just contacted EG on his 144 kit so let me know what he comes up with, thanks.
  5. HuskyDude Moderator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    13/TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    10/EC300, 76/TY175
    :popcorn:

Boy this just keeps getting better and better.

First the possibility of our IMS tank fitting our little one...and now this.:D

Thx Kelly... Keep up the R&D.
  6. Norman Foley Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Trumansburg, NY... The Beautiful, Finger Lakes
    Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 250WR 86 250WR 93 WXE350 03 TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    '85 Fantic 300 '12 HUSABERG TE250
    Husky is pretty much a copy of Yamaha 125..... maybe he can do a 167 stroker like they do for Yamaha 125's?
  7. rajobigguy Administrator

I heard about someone working on a "166" kit. I don't remember what all it entailed but I'll try and find that info. I wish I would have made a note of it.:banghead:
  8. john01 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Stop hitting your head on that wall or it won't ever come to you LOL.
  9. NWRider Husqvarna
    AA Class

I believe Uptite does this one. It is overbore only
  10. rajobigguy Administrator

I guess I should have asked him, I was at his shop this afternoon.:doh:
  11. ajaxauto Husqvarna
    Pro Class

George makes a 167 kit
  12. BlueHusky144 Husqvarna
    AA Class

You are asking for a ticking time bomb with an overbore that big, IMO. But what in the heck do I know?:excuseme:
  13. razornpc Husqvarna
    AA Class

its a 2 stroke, they are going to blow up anytime anyways. :D
  14. ScottyR Husqvarna
    AA Class

The 144 BB kit isnt rocket science. I have a puked CR125 jug sitting at Bondi Engine Works in Toronto right now seeing what they think they can do with it.
  15. wallybean Mini-Sponsor

The 144 kits have been out for a while now and certainly boring out a cylinder for relatively cheap power gains has been going on for many years. The best part about the Eric Gorr kit is it is a Quality piece for a good price. If it wasn't a viable option for more power with minimal input I wouldn't think Husky would be offering one in the near future.

It certainly looks like there is room to bore the husky an additional 2 or 3 mm or better yet a re-sleeve and stroking the crank is pretty straight forward just spendy without your own lathe and bore machine.

Get her done Kelly you won't be disapointed.

Walt
  16. HomeFinance Husqvarna
    A Class

I believe that EG also offers a stroker that goes to 151?
  17. wallybean Mini-Sponsor

I have to say again that I am really impressed with the way the 144 runs. I may experiment with some spare power valves over the winter to enhance the mid-range for the dry washes and desert riding that I hope to do this winter. For the tight gnarly crap we have around here I will keep it the way it is now.

I look forward to thrashing this scoot for the next couple of years until the new FI 200 comes along:D

Walt
  18. ajaxauto Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Not if it is a Husky My 2006 CR 125 has 4 years of racing and never had the lower end apart.Just had George from Uptite install lower end bearings and all is good again PLUS it is still on the stock bore
    This bike has won many expert class desert races ,plus 1 National AMA Mag class champship
    AND now my son Matt has enought points to take home the # 1 plate
    for the 2009 AMA National Hare and Hound 125 expert class

Only one more race to go this weeken round 8 so a big National # 1 for a STOCK Husky 125 AGAIN same bike i rode last year
  19. Troy F Collins Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr125
    Other Motorcycles:
    GGEC 250 Honda RC51 CBR 1000rr CR125
    Two factors which limit how big one can go....bore and stroke ratio...and how much counterweight can be built into the crank...the heavier the piston... the more counterweight needed to offset its moment of inertia...or it will be heavily limited in max rpm...or it will go bang.....

Most two stroke manufactures like to stay pretty close to square with regards to the bore and stroke....and dont like to stray to far from it say 10 or 20 percent or so.....as you start to lose the crankcase compression effects with large bore short stroke....

The real answer..???? A "slightly" larger crankcase much smaller than a 250....but one that accommodates enough room for proper bore stroke ratio...and more crank weight......suitable for up to 200cc...and I dont mean the current 200cc bikes(from austria and spain) which are based on a 250 bottom end.....

But I dont think we'll ever see it.....as there is little interest from the race department for an intermediate size.....

But remember the days when 175cc was very popular......:thinking:

But I think I'll stick with a 125....and try a 144 kit later....
  20. rasputin Husqvarna
    AA Class

the ktm exc200 is based on the 125cc engine.

the basic problem is that: it's not easy to optimize an engine for the power of a 125cc engine, and then attach a cylinder that has 50% more torque. basically you'd have to design the engine for the 200cc version in the beginning, but then you'd have a 125cc engine that is "over-engineered" and too heavy. and after all, 125cc is the main target, while 200cc is considered a "gadget".

r