1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

125-200cc Any issues with the IMS tank?

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by LawnDartMike, Feb 17, 2011.

1. LawnDartMike Husqvarna
    AA Class

Has anyone had any issues with the IMS tank for the 09+ WR 125? I usually buy a Clarke tank but they are still dragging their feet in getting one made so here I go to IMS. Any issues or tips for the cross-over or petcock?
  2. HxcEnduRo Husqvarna
    AA Class

ims usually is a bit better on those type of quality's, i have not heard anything adverse
  3. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
  4. LawnDartMike Husqvarna
    AA Class

Why did you change the petcock?
  5. NWRider Husqvarna
    AA Class

Getting my seat on is a major PITA now. I think the tanks vary a bit though so maybe I just got a bad one. It still is a big improvement over the tiny stock one though.
  6. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    I didn't, its the stocker. Your seeing the other side and thats the crossover.

[IMG]
  7. noairkerr Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 WR 125
    Other Motorcycles:
    2006 yamaha wr250f 2005 ktm 200 exc
    Mine fit OK ,if the front of seat wasn't a little high ,I would say perfect..... a few rides you'll never notice. I would have loved to buy a Clark tank as they are just down the road ,but wasn't crazy about the nut buster hump and got tired of waiting.
  8. OlivierTE250 Husqvarna
    A Class

Mine fit Ok once I modified the seat pan so it could sit a bit more forward, about 1/4inch. Using a Dremel tool, I had to grind the "U" shape stop tab on the seat pan. It was thereafter easier to install the seat, releived pressure on the tank tab and Dz seat nut.
  9. Sandgroper Husqvarna
    AA Class

Where can you obtain a crossover pipe and metal tank inserts?
  10. pahusky Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '14 TC250
    Other Motorcycles:
    '12 250XC '09 1200GSA KLR650
    The cross-over tube is stock on the IMS tank. It is a quick disconnect that shuts off the flow when apart. Our '09 WR125 has a different petcock than shown on moto's. It is a lever type instead of the twist. It did not go in the IMS tank hole. I think they go with the smaller hole for the 250 petcock, not sure. I found a drill bit that fit exactly in the stock tank hole and drilled the IMS, yes scary, but it worked. You could drill or see if the 250 one fit. There is an o-ring that needs to seat against the plastic, don't oversize the hole!

I zip tie the crossover tube up and out of the way of something that could snag it. The seat is a little tight, but the pan mod above is something I haven't looked into yet...

[IMG]
  11. slo rider Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 WB165
    Other Motorcycles:
    2007 YZ250
    I just put an IMS tank on my 09 125. As patktm said, I have the lever style petcock and had to drill out the hole. I also had to use a heat gun to modify the front of the tank to fit around my Scotts mount. My seat was difficult to install until I took a heat gun to the holes for the frame posts on the bottom of the tank. I heated those up then shoved the tank further forward. Now the seat fits just fine. There were also some decent gaps between the radiator shrouds and the tank. The heat gun helped closed the gaps a little.
  12. LawnDartMike Husqvarna
    AA Class

Thanks for the info. It's nice to know what to expect.
  13. gixxer_gixxer Husqvarna
    B Class

re:heating holes
    Hi do you mean the two slotted square/rectangualr holes in base of plastic seat moulding, mine too is tight to get on and feel as if going to rip cover at back if keep taking on and off!
  14. slo rider Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 WB165
    Other Motorcycles:
    2007 YZ250
    I used a heat gun on the holes in the bottom of the tank that the frame posts fit into. I also had to shave some material off the bottom of the seat front where it meets the tank and also the holes that you are referring to.
  15. gixxer_gixxer Husqvarna
    B Class

cheers bud
    :)