Any reasons not to go to EFI?

Discussion in 'EFI/carb' started by JHNguyen89, Sep 17, 2011.

1. JHNguyen89 Husqvarna
    AA Class

I just bought a used 08 TXC 250 and am having a great time on it. It has just the right amount of power as it's easy for a beginner and I'm sure it'll have more power when I need it.

However, I just came across a used '10 for a very decent price. In fact, it's quite a bit cheaper than I spent on my 08 and it looks to be in excellent condition with less hours.

I'm pretty sure I'll have a difficult time selling my 08 as that just seems how the used bike market is at the moment (or maybe with Husqvarna in general) BUT, I will be kicking myself for not waiting one more month and picking up a newer bike.

I know there are many advantages to a bike with EFI, but haven't heard any disadvantages.
  2. Tech 3 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 SMR510
    I have a 2010 510smr with EFI i like the bike a lot
    but I think that I would stick with the carb bike
    The simpler the better
  3. Suputin Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 SMR 511
    Other Motorcycles:
    WR250X, 81 Yamaha RD350LC, 90 RZ350
    My last four bikes have been EFI and never want to go back to the old carbs. EFI is so easy to live with and all the tuning is done via computer. I also gives you a ton of different options for tuning that carbs never could.

Think of a carb as a one-size-fits-all hoodie while EFI is a custom tailored suit made just for you. Which one is gonna fit better?
    oregonsage likes this.
  4. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08\013 WR250, 010 TC250, 012 TC250
    Depends on you and what you want from a bike ... Both have advantages and disadvantages ...

Where is this 08 TXC250 at that you own now?
  5. TXC&KTM Husqvarna
    AA Class

Generally, the only problem with the EFI is the "E".
  6. oregonsage 4st Clerk

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    FX450
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha DT400 x 2, BMW G310R
    +1 EFI plus JD Power Surge and tune to your heart's delight.

Someday we will all be old codgers telling stories about swapping main jets at the race track and the youngsters will look at us like we are talking about buggy whips. Even NASCAR is going to EFI and they are the definition of anachronistic technology rules.
  7. Laura Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE 250 (2011) 12port/ECU/Rekluse
    Hi guys,
    I'm new and thinking about a TE 250. What year did husky introduce EFI?
  8. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250, 2013 TR650 Terra - sold
    2008 is when it started.. though not all had efi all at once, I think just the TEs & SMs (not the TXC that year)
    2006/7 TEs & SMs came with a license plate in the usa, but no EFI.

I have a 2006 and like it a lot :)
  9. rjdenya Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    05' Honda CR250R
    EFI and a JD Tuner all day long. :thumbsup:
  10. Jye Husqvarna

yer im an efi lover the main disadvantage is if you flood it you cant drain the fuel easily and your battery has to pretty well charged all the times for your fuel pump to get the right amount of fuel in otherwise it will stall... no matter what they tell you efi can flood but of course there are little tricks you pick up just like when you first start working on a carbi bike its all so foreign but at the end of the day efi is the future and theres no stopping it, the pros of efi by far crush the disadvantages
  11. mnb Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE310 . . . . 2003 TE610e
    Old school people like carbs because you can jerry rig something if you have a failure. Sometimes. With EFI, should the electronic brain fail, you're hosed.

Of course, with EFI, it's ability to automatically adapt to various altitudes and conditions as well as provide a much more effortless start, IMO, it more than outweighs the rare chance the box will fail on you. If you're that worried, carry a spare, they're small and cheaper than carbs.
  12. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08\013 WR250, 010 TC250, 012 TC250
    There is nothing really to fail on a CARB except they do get dirty ... I did see a bike once break its needle jet and stop the bike ... The fuel pumps have gotten alot of PUB here ... not the box ....
  13. WHITEROCKET5.9 Husqvarna
    AA Class

the only thing that scares me is that like stated if your battery is too low or dead your screwed
  14. lankydoug Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    TM 300en
    The battery, the ECU, the fuel pump, a few sensors and the wiring harness that links these are all things that wont fail on a carbureted system + none of these are free.