1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

125-200cc Any reviews of the '99 WR125 out there?

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by jason380, Nov 12, 2012.

1. jason380 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1999 WR 125
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 KTM 380, 03 RM 250, 06 KTM 450
    I've purchased a '99 WR125 which I'm in the process of rebuilding. I wanted a backup/wife bike and I found this for cheap. I've already sent the engine for a rebuild and I'm currently sourcing newer plastic and other miscellaneous bits. I'm sure I'll have fun on it (heck I'd have fun on a 50 though!) but I'm curious if anyone could give me a review. Would it be a competitive bike at a local harescramble when set up correctly? I know part of the advantage of the newer bikes is the chassis and I don't expect this to handle as well but I DO expect it to handle better than my 99 KTM 380. I didn't even ride the bike due to sacked out suspension and a little play in the main bearings so I have very little experience on a 125. I'm just getting a bit uneasy dumping loads of $$ into this bike and hopefully some here can give me a little reassurance that I'm doing a good deed resurrecting this tiddler. I remember reading the reviews in Dirt Bike as a kid riding a KDX 200 and they were always in favor of the Husky.
    Thanks!
    Jason
  2. rockdancer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 WR125, 2019 FE350
    I've got an olg mag article on the 98 vs Ktm but I believe the 99
    Is different and same frame and motor as newer bikes -up to 2008
    So it will only depend on the rider
    Good luck with it
  3. R-J van Hulst Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR 125 + 40 = WB 165 and a SM165
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda CB 400 Vtec 3
    I don't know your level of riding but that bike even 13 years old will give a lot of others a run for their money.

it will for sure outclass your DR350 in every aspect where you gonna compare in

your KTM 380 will for sure bring more ponies to the table but the question is are they usable and/or needed in the first place.

sand dunes go with the KTM drag racing on tarmac go with the KTM

all other situations you will love the husky and you last a lot longer in riding it

a 450 is quicker then a 125 in open field (on the trail its all about the rider and its probably harder to ride the 450).

but if you don't have the stamina of superman, after 4 hours of riding I dare to bet that you will be faster on your 125 then the 450

Robert-Jan
  4. Joe Chod Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Have the suspension rebuilt
    it is undoubtedly stale from siting and will perform horribly
  5. jason380 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1999 WR 125
    Other Motorcycles:
    Thanks for the replies guys. I plan to rebuild the suspension, but started to think I should hold off on some more optional upgrades and just ride it. There are lots of rave reviews of the newer bikes, but little info on the older bikes and I just wanted to be sure it wasn't a bad year for Husky. I know a fast rider will be fast on any bike, too. I have my KTM set up nicely: 07 Subframe, seat, tank, plastics, head modified, suspension revalve and sprung and a Scotts stabilizer. I ride the hills of northern WV where there is a large mix of clay, rocks, grassy fields, mud...and yeah some gnarly hills. I've raced some harescrambles and GNCC and run a B pace. The power of the 380 is great and you can ride it like an old man and chug all day or wring it out and hold on---just be pointed the right way. I have yet to get it to rail the tight turns as I would like despite much suspension fiddling but when the trail opens up it's ecstasy! I know this little bike will require a different style and I will miss the power of the 380 as I do wring it out when I can. But I think the flickability of the 125 will make up for it and maybe the lack of power will help me be a faster/smoother rider. If the Husky is as good as you all claim it will eventually get a revalve and 165 kit. I'm just testing the waters now and looking for as much nonbiased info as possible. It seems it will be a good bike and I'll keep you all up to date on the build. Oh ya--the DR is irrelevant in this conversation, it's such a turd!
    Thanks,
    Jason
  6. flyingbob Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    01&02WR360_02WR250_02CR250_12WB165
    Other Motorcycles:
    01 VOR400_07 TM450_22 GG250_07 Tuono
    I found a 98 rear wheel in my stash! Need an extra? We had a 2001 CR125 I'd give anything to get back. FBF 135 kit, Zoke 50mm forks, Chiodi practice bike... Why I got caught up in the bigger is better trap escapes me!
  7. R-J van Hulst Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR 125 + 40 = WB 165 and a SM165
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda CB 400 Vtec 3
    I am glad that you say it yourself as my first response to comment your DR350 was like a lazy fat pig
    I did had the annoyance to ride a few time on one (company vehicle) and clearly it degrade the pleasure I have in riding a motor bike

for the riding style on a 125 for sure its a different one then the 380
    the 125 is not forgive you in making small mistakes and you drop immediately out of the power band so also out of your rithem but ones you master to ride it with "flow" its for sure a big fat grin on your face when you scream along and leave the bigger bikes behind:D 125 its still a underestimated bike by a lot of riders yet it is so much fun to wake them up.

Have fun
    Robert-jan
  8. jason380 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1999 WR 125
    Other Motorcycles:
    Bob, I actually just purchased another rear but thanks. See-- this is the stuff that gets me in trouble! This bike was supposed to be a backup bike for me and something my wife can ride. All the talk off the newer bikes got me thinking of building an all-out light weight woods weapon! Is there a big difference between the 50mm and 45mm Marzocchis? This will be used for HS/GNCC and only a little MX. I had planned to rebuild my forks but one had a compression valve take a crap so I may be in the market for forks. I've ridden since age 6 and went from a KX 80 to a KDX 200 (x2) then KTM 440 (60 HP 2stroke!!) to the KTM 380. As you can see no 125's or 250's in there. I've been riding and racing big 2 strokes for the last 15 years so this will be a big change. Who knows the KTM may be taking a back seat!
  9. jason380 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1999 WR 125
    Other Motorcycles:
    Robert-jan,
    Your description sounds pretty spot-on for what I expected. Thanks. Some guys on the KTM forum had mentioned how riding a 125 made them much faster riders because they learned to carry more momentum which makes sense.
  10. flyingbob Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    01&02WR360_02WR250_02CR250_12WB165
    Other Motorcycles:
    01 VOR400_07 TM450_22 GG250_07 Tuono
    Actually the best Marzocchi forks were 2002 45s on a WR250 that were valved by Drew Smith at WER. Second best were 45s on a 2005 TC250 revalved by John Curea at MX Tech in PA, then the early 50s valved by FBF. The Kayabas on the 2012 CR125 beat them all, and they are stock. I've had fourteen Huskys up and down the model lines and the CR124/144 is hands down my favorite. Also had 08 Kawi 450, two TM 450s, Kawi KX 500, DRZ 400, Gas Gas EC200, 2001 VOR 400, 2002 VOR 450EN, nothing works for me like the Husqvarna machine and I've tried to get away from them! Almost bought a Sherco in 06, glad I got over that! Saw new take off 45s on ebay not too long ago. I'd go that route on that bike and get them in Drew Smiths hands first thing.